Ants in Space... to ISS...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
Just watching the NASA TV channel while doing laundry today. Been talking about the upcoming Antares launch to send the Cygnus resupply vehicle to ISS. Apparently one of the experiments on board is an ant colony, which will take up residence in a prepared habitat on board ISS. They will enter a colony area where they'll be studied as to their adaptation to microgee environment, then allowed to move on into a foraging area for some period of time, and then subsequently allowed into another foraging area beyond that. Schoolkids will monitor the ground "control group" experiment on the ground and the results compared. Apparently they're focusing on how the ants interact with one another and cooperative behavior changes in microgee compared to the ground control group.

I wonder what Dr. Zooch thinks of all this?? His ants have been working for years to infest an old satellite as part of their space program... https://www.klydemorris.com/strips.cfm?strip_ID=2385

Later! OL JR :)

Did anyone else just have a Simpsons flashback?

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

kent.jpg

Let's hope they do not escape and infest the station. It'll cost a lot to send up an exterminator.

I wonder how the Exoskeletal Nature of their Anatomy will affect their Rate of Muscle Atrophy in the Zero-Grav???

[YOUTUBE]S4lJ67Jg3_g[/YOUTUBE]

(thick Russian accent on) "See what they are making, Nikita Sergeyevitch... they will overtake us!"

That's a quote from Georgi Malenkov, by the way, about a finely detailed china cup he'd brought back from a recent visit to China, to Nikita Khruschev, not long before they were competitors for the premiership of the Soviet Union...

"The ants have their own lifting body... far in advance of the HL-20 or Dream Chaser... they will overtake us!"

(thick Russian accent off).

LOL:) Later! OL JR :)

Anybody seen the 1970's movie "Phase IV" now Those ants were up to something!

Latest posts

Back