Antisocial crop duster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winston

Lorenzo von Matterhorn
Reaction score
No longer just for dusting crops.

Late Addition to the USAF's Light Attack Experiment Sparks Drama Online
New accusations of collusion are just the latest development in a rivalry between suppliers of armed crop dusters.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...s-light-attack-experiment-sparks-drama-online

[video=youtube;laXyH-FBwRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=95&v=laXyH-FBwRE[/video]

Incidentally, we got chased off site at our last club launch (last weekend) by a crop duster that decided to start spraying while there was a bunch of people in the field...

Giant mutant monochrome weevils invading Japan again?
Video has too many jumpy cuts for me to be able to watch it - what Einstein though that crap was cool.

Just bring back the Mustang, modify it to carry modern arms, and there you go.

I though this was about me walking down the hallway at work today... :eyepop:
That's basically what was behind my choice of thread title as a double entendre... not you specifically, of course.

The USAF is considering a bunch of turboprop aircraft in this competition. The stink (see, I did it again) with Dusty Crophopper is that it doesn't have an ejection seat which the USAF wants. Sure looks nasty though.

Incidentally, we got chased off site at our last club launch (last weekend) by a crop duster that decided to start spraying while there was a bunch of people in the field...

That is what concealed carry is far.
As far as I'm concerned, that was an attack on human life and should have been dealt with return fire.
I have zero tolerance for acts where common sense is ignored.

(assuming it was intentional or negligent)

Naw, just grab the tail number and turn 'em in for X counts of assault and / or battery, depending on the AHJ.

Aggravated by use of a vehicle, dangerous and/or deadly weapon; (depending on the spray) poisoning and/or protracted injury; and/or aggravated if, for instance, someone on the field had asthma or a leg in a cast.

There's no way someone foolish enough to attack a crowd of people has correct business records, licensing, taxes, etc. Go for the civil judgment using evidence turned up by the DA's criminal investigation.

Lawyers are great at this stuff, way scarier than a pocket shooter.

That is what concealed carry is far.
As far as I'm concerned, that was an attack on human life and should have been dealt with return fire.
I have zero tolerance for acts where common sense is ignored.
LOL, yes, because opening fire at a crop duster is fine way to exhibit "common sense"... :facepalm:

The P-47 would be a better choice for air-to-mud because of the air cooled engine. The P-51 had the annoying Achilles Heel of the annoying radiator behind the pilot that attracted ground fire when used in that role. In a P-51, one pass on a ground target was the most you could safely do and survive. P-47s were able to make it home with a few cylinders shot out, holes in the wings and fuselage, and other damage that would end the flight of a P-51 real quick.

The P-47 would be a better choice for air-to-mud because of the air cooled engine. The P-51 had the annoying Achilles Heel of the annoying radiator behind the pilot that attracted ground fire when used in that role. In a P-51, one pass on a ground target was the most you could safely do and survive. P-47s were able to make it home with a few cylinders shot out, holes in the wings and fuselage, and other damage that would end the flight of a P-51 real quick.

I was too vague in my reply to markkoelsch in post #9. The Cavalier Aircraft company originally created the Enforcer Turbine Mustang. The Cavalier Aircraft sold the concept to Piper Aircraft. A cool concept for a 3rd World COIN (Counter Insurgency) A/C :cool:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_PA-48_Enforcer

Piper_PA48_Enforcer_USAF.jpgPiper_Enforcer.jpg

With a turboprop power plant, that would be better than the original North American P-51B/C or P-51D (the most produced variants) for that mission by eliminating the Achilles Heel in the 1940s vintage Mustangs. I still say that the P-47 is quite a bit more rugged than the P-51. Probably any contemporary plane with probably carry 20mm cannon instead of .50 Cal machine guns in the wings.

If you can find it, Steeds of the Sky has some good accounts from pilots of WWII fighters, including some pointers on contemporary tactics.

Back