Anti Zipper Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
Hey gang, back to flying again.

I have a 7.5" diameter rocket that has an anti zipper deign. Over the course storing this rocket for years, the joint where the coupler slides into the forward airframe is beat up. Not bad, but a little.

Im a bit of a perfectionist, and want this joint perfect. I know some would use tape, and that may be ok, but I am thinking about re-wrapping this tube with fiberglass but on the interior. The joint is pretty loose and the forward tube needs some beefing up where it slides over the coupler.

Does anyone have any clever tricks for this? I thought about something like balloon over the male coupler and putting it together wet with filler in the epoxy. I would hate like heck to find out the ballow leaked and glued the peices together....

Has anyone ever tried something like this? If so what did you use to stop the epoxy from sticking to one surface and not the other? There must be simple clever trick for this.

Ideas?

Attachments

• Drawing1.png
    Drawing1.png
    1 MB · Views: 40
A thought is clear tape wrapped around the coupler.
I have also used saran wrap , but need to get out all the wrinkles.
Mold release compound on coupler, then just scrape off.
If you have mylar, wrap coupler with that.
OMG, now my brain hurts.

Back