The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, my twin brothers launched a 2-stage HPR during this past Springfest in Las Vegas, and we got talking about ejection charge canisters that pass the wires through the bay lid instead of using terminals on its outside; he was really impressed with the ease of use and performance of the E-Match Mate Bulkhead Adapter Set sold by Apogee that he had used for those ejection canisters.

After looking over his installation, I decided to create a similar system to use for the primary and secondary main parachute charge canisters on the ANTI-VIRUS... these canisters will both look something like this:
Ejection.Canister.00.Text.jpg
I did cut the plastic shroud down from nearly 3/4" to 1/2" in length so that the initiator is right at the top of the shroud, almost peaking out. The hole for the O-ring is 11/32", the hole for the plastic shroud is 15/64", and the exit hole is 1/8".

These initiators (e-matches) can be purchased directly from MJG Technologies Inc., with the plastic shroud installed. But, the initiator needs to be pushed out of the shroud, and a small amount of 5-minute epoxy MUST be put on the wires just below the initiator so that, when the initiator is pulled fully back into the shroud, the epoxy seals the small gaps around wires. When the epoxy has cured, you are ready to assemble the charge canister.

Each assembled canister screws through a threaded hole in the top of the bay lid, sealed by the outer O-ring, allowing the initiator wires to go straight to the electronics without any mid-point connections.

With the help of Mike Fisher and the arrival of custom Anvil 1010 rail buttons from Binder Designs... overcoming my design oversight...
Construction on the ANTI-VIRUS can once again resume...
Next time (cuz I'm *sure* there will be one ;) ), increase the plunger end diameter and put a ringtail grid fin on the end!

Canister design looks neat, although it worries me that the eMatch is under the BP. Generally you get better % of BP burnt if the ignition is on the top. With ignition underneath it scatters the BP somewhat.

THAT IS A GREAT LOOKING ROCKET AND REALLY IS A WORK OF ART. I am looking forward to flight videos.

When the new OpenRocket version is released I’ll post a design file.
I'll look forward to it, BUT won't be holding my breath....the carrot of a new OR version has been waved in front of us for so long.... oh well, eventually.

It flew on an Aerotech DMS J450DM-14A Metalstorm DM.
2021-10-17 09.17.49_Moment.Motor.jpg
My only regret is not using the slow motion mode... and having one panel of the Fruity Chutes Iris 60" parachute slightly sliced by a grid fin; ouch, oh the pain (if you know what I mean).

Back