Antares NG-18 Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Arrived for my shift this morning, and Cygnus team is doing their late cargo loading right now. I'll be taking care of some engineering data collection while there's downtime for the Antares team.

Launch is at 0550 eastern/1020 UTC on Sunday. The 0550 time DOES account for the fact that we will be turning our clocks back tonight.

20221104_060129.jpg

Hopefully your weather forecast is better than ours! We have early morning rain, then partly cloudy with a pretty stiff breeze from the SW in the forecast - should make for interesting launches and muddy recoveries 😆

Good luck with NG-18 - we’re just outside the possible viewing area even with clear skies.

Woot! Normally I drive down to Washington's Rock in Warren NJ for a clear view of the launch, but this time it's just too damn early. I'll catch it on Youtube.

Do you actually get a good view from there? That's right on the way to work for me...
If the launch veers north/northeast and it's NIGHT (or dark), you can get a fair view from Washington's Rock. You'll actually see something with a bright plume, and once I was there also witnessed first stage sep, second stage ignite, which made the crowd go "woo". Cape May would be a better spot, but that's a really long drive to watch something that lasts a few seconds.

I try to catch every Anteres launch (only online sadly), but this weekend has been busy and tiring, so I doubt I'll pry myself out of bed early enough to watch this one (just as I didn't for the scrub this morning). Good luck to everyone at Orbital/Northrop-Grumman, and for those of you who get the chance to watch either online or in person, enjoy!

Yeah... too many clouds, and N/G needs to learn that we live in the youtube age, and they should spring for a couple of cameras mounted on the rocket. SpaceX seems to understand their audience, who want to see stuff go up and also look down onto the planet. I know it was dark so there still wouldn't be much to see, but 30 seconds into the flight, they cut to some lame RockSim display, I would have been better off looking up from my backyard.

Back