Antares, 20 year project done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trident

Retired, plenty of kits
Reaction score
No, this rocket is not 20 years worth of effort, it is a few months of effort spread over 20 years. This thing is not even a teenager anymore, but it is getting ready for its maiden flight this year.

I turned the intake and exhaust pieces around 1990, and then took a few years trying to figure out what I wanted to use them on. The nose cone was the next piece of the solution. I added a short BT-60 to it, then turned a balsa nose block for the shoulder, and added canard wings (one piece going thru a slot in the tube). Next the small cockpit on the nose cone was extended back onto the tube using balsa strips.

I originally thought of making something "Interceptor-like", and kind of departed from there. Instead of forward swept tail fins, I decided rear swept was appropriate, maybe inspired by seeing the Blue Angels back then flying their new FA-18 Hornets. The wings had to taper down to engine pods, using the 4 turned pieces I started with. I think the extensions outside the engines were probably inspired by seeing a Deep Space Transport kit, but I do not really recall.

Next I added a tailcone, which is just a TA-5560 balsa adapter, hollowed out to accept a 24mm motor tube, and the "55" shoulder removed. Then I looked at all the Plastruct styrene strips I had, and started adding pieces to the tailcone (probably inspired by the Interceptor). Next came a scoop on the top. I'd probably leave it off if I could roll back time, but I was kind of in the mood to add more plastic pieces.

All of this ended in 2002. Last year, I painted the nose, finally deciding on an aluminum paint finish. And here is is 2010, 8 years later, and it is finally done.

She will probably launch on a D12-3. I did remember to add a launch lug, but I honestly do not remember if it has a shock cord installed as I type this -- but an easy enough fix if it is missing.

More construction pics on my Rockets link below, under "Antares", if you are interested.

Thanks, and stay tuned. I've got another cool one I expect to debut in maybe only 5 years or so ...

Reminds me of a cross between and XB-70, those high canard wings and the early Boeing SST prototypes.

Jeff

Yes, that is probably it. I love the XB-70. In fact, a friend's brother is (was?, this was awhile back) Col. Joe Cotton's neighbor. Joe was one of the test pilots for the plane. We sent my friend's brother several XB-70 books, and he asked Joe to sign them for us.

Ok, back on track .. glad you mentioned the Boeing SST, I just do not remember that one. I Googled it, and it would be a great candidate for a project.

Back