Another Zephyr L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EPflyer

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I successfully completed my L1 certification flight last Saturday. The flight was made at the SMRA site in Alamogordo, NM. The Zephyr flew flawlessly on a Aerotech H283 dms motor. The rocket left the pad so quickly, we only got 1 photo leaving the pad. The wind was higher than I hoped for so I used a Jolly Logic Chute Release. The rocket landed about 50 yards outside the perimeter fence. For anyone thinking about a rocket for L1, I would definitely recommend the Zephyr. The only addition I made was an Aeropack motor retainer.

DSC_5780.JPG20210420_195057.jpg

I successfully completed my L1 certification flight last Saturday. The flight was made at the SMRA site in Alamogordo, NM. The Zephyr flew flawlessly on a Aerotech H283 dms motor. The rocket left the pad so quickly, we only got 1 photo leaving the pad. The wind was higher than I hoped for so I used a Jolly Logic Chute Release. The rocket landed about 50 yards outside the perimeter fence. For anyone thinking about a rocket for L1, I would definitely recommend the Zephyr. The only addition I made was an Aeropack motor retainer.

View attachment 460775View attachment 460776
Hi, great post. I'm currently building the Zephyr for an L1 cert flight as well. Curious, what alt did you set for the chute release? Thanks - Dizz

Hi, great post. I'm currently building the Zephyr for an L1 cert flight as well. Curious, what alt did you set for the chute release? Thanks - Dizz
I used the default 500 feet. With a small H motor the rocket will stay below 2000 feet.
I recommend the Zephyr to L1 candidates for 2 reasons. First is the completeness of kit. I only added an aluminum motor retainer. Second is the quality of the components and build instructions. Good luck on your attempt.

I used the default 500 feet. With a small H motor the rocket will stay below 2000 feet.
I recommend the Zephyr to L1 candidates for 2 reasons. First is the completeness of kit. I only added an aluminum motor retainer. Second is the quality of the components and build instructions. Good luck on your attempt.
and don't forget Tim's very thorough video series on the Apogee website for building the Zephyr....

and don't forget Tim's very thorough video series on the Apogee website for building the Zephyr....
Jerry, did you use Tim's method for packing the chute (lines wrapped around outside, jolly logic over that and then all stuffed like a burrito in the blanket or did you use John Bean's folding method with the lines inside? Thanks!

I’m not quite sure what method John Bean uses exactly…but for my lvl 1, I kept it super simple…no chute release, no altimeter…nothing extra that could even remotely go wrong…
iirc, I folded the chute in half, then quarters, then 1/3 over to bring the chute lines to the middle together, then laid the lines inside the folds, then wrapped it up in the blanket…

Ok, great. In your original post you mention that you used the chute release for your lvl 1 cert because of the higher winds, but it sounds like maybe you didn't? In any case, thanks for the notes on your folding technique. Appreciated.

Ok, great. In your original post you mention that you used the chute release for your lvl 1 cert because of the higher winds, but it sounds like maybe you didn't? In any case, thanks for the notes on your folding technique. Appreciated.
That is correct, I did not need the Chute Release. I know that now but I didn't then.

Hey Dizzy, Tim at Apogee also has an article in one of their Peak of Flight newsletters that has “7 mistakes people make when attempting their certification”…some good points in the article…it will be on their website.

Hey Dizzy, Tim at Apogee also has an article in one of their Peak of Flight newsletters that has “7 mistakes people make when attempting their certification”…some good points in the article…it will be on their website.

#1 mistake is not flying enough mid-power flights. Going from a G to an H should be a non-issue.

Tim must have sold a lot of the Zephers
Yes, he must have. There have been at least 10 Zephers flown at my club field by the Princton Rocket Club to get their L1 certs this year and 6 last year.
Most did pass the certs but a few did not due to recovery system failures.

In addition to my L1 on a Zephyr, I scratch built a Zephyr Jr. Micro from a Viking Kit. It’s flight is at the 2:10 mark. I’ve since flown it nearly a dozen times.

Back