Another vintage build: Estes Python 4 #2054

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a scale model kit of the Rafael Python 4 air to air missile used by the Israeli Air Force and exported to several countries. It has been superceded by the Python 5 and other AAMs.
Rafael-Python-4-FA-18A-Fit-Check-1S.jpg
Here on an Aussie air force F/A18 Hornet.

The face card:
0424200734[1].jpg

And the parts:
0424200729[1].jpg

If everybody's on lockdown building then where are all the build threads? Post 'em up guys!
TBC

This is the last one of the series I have yet to find (at a reasonable price). I just finished up a Paveway III last week.
Was it a straightforward build? (I have one in the build pile).
Didn't know this was part of a series. After digging around I think the others include the Patriot missile and BLU-97B Cluster bomb? Have the Patriot but the Cluster Bomb never appealed to me. The prospects of chasing down 3 or 4 falling objects instead of one does not strike my fancy. ;)

The Paveway was a fun build, pretty straight forward. I followed Chris's blog for most of the build.
Yes, you are correct, the Python, Patriot, BLU Cluster Bomb and Paveway III are part of the Enduring Freedom series, the four kits came with a patriotic eagle range box sticker.
I have only flown the Cluster Bomb a couple of times, once without the "bombs" and a few times with only two bombs. I don't like chasing too many things either.

Assembled the motor mount. Added a kevlar leader.
0425201158a[1].jpg

Separated the transition piece from the tail cone with a hobby saw.
0424202135[1].jpg
0425201158[1].jpg

With a sanding block and a piece of sandpaper removed any burrs and sanded the ends square.
This kit doesn't use the transition so it goes in the parts stash.
Sawed off the nibs covering the fin slots and sanded off the flashing. Cleaned up with a hobby knife.

Finally (for now) coupled and glued the main body tubes together.
0425201204[1].jpg

Need to let the motor mount and coupled tubes dry.

TBC

Last edited:
OK, you know how they say to read the instructions over a couple of times before starting assembly?
Sorta like, measure twice, cut once?
Well, the separation point of this rocket is supposed to be mid point, I wasn't supposed to glue the tubes together. Oh well, nose blow should work anyway. Just like I planned.🙄

The motor mount and tail cone were glued into the aft end.
0425201834[1].jpg

Fins and strakes were removed from the sheet and sanded.
0425201829[1].jpg

Oops!
0425201829a[1].jpg

No worries, easy fix.
Main fins were glued to the airframe.
0425202129[1].jpg

Will let this dry overnight.
Calling it a day.
TBC.

The kit includes paper conduits
0427200624[1].jpg

Glue is applied to the back and they are glued to the fin line
0427200809[1].jpg

And the strakes are glued on top
0427200847[1].jpg

Then the double canard fins are glued to the front
0427200842[1].jpg

TBC

The clay nose weight was packed into the nose cone. I decided to lock it down with gorilla glue and a few drops of water.
0427200843[1].jpg

It foams up and expands when curing. Just like the spray foam from Home Depot, but I don't wind up throwing away a nearly full can when the tube clogs up after one or two uses.

Launch lugs are attached and recovery gear is assembled and installed.
Just have to run final glue fillets, so I'm calling this assembly complete.
0427202307[1].jpg

Will update with pics when she is painted and decaled.
Decals are stick on, ugh.
Laters.

Somehow I slept through this whole build. Looks nice.

I can't believe they provided the canards as one piece... seems unlikely that anyone would every be able to keep all four of them intact.

I was looking at the face card and deciding how to place the decals when I realized something.
I forgot to glue the launch lugs on. :facepalm:
TBC.

Launch lugs and decals are on.
0716202006[1].jpg
0716202003[1].jpg
0716202001[1].jpg
0716202001b[1].jpg
And done!
Flight report whenevah.
P.S. The Estes instructions have a gap between the strakes and fins. But if you look at the actual missile in the first post there is no apparent gap. So I went with the actual missile.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the build threads! I really enjoy looking in on them since I have most of the kits. How many built rockets do you have, and do you fly them all at least once?

She maidened a few days ago on a Q-Jet D with 4 second delay.
I figured it was safe because one of the recommended motors is the C6-5.
She went up and came down ballistic on a concrete sidewalk.
The ejection charge was late. I suspect a defective motor.
1114211350[1].jpg
A fin came off. The plastic nose cone was shattered. And the upper tube was toast.
Surprisingly the clay weight remained locked in place by the foaming Gorilla glue.
Cut the tube at the top of the coupler. Carefully removed the coupler by prying it with the tip of a hobby knife to get separation, then twisting it off with a pair of pliers.
1114211352[1].jpg

Dry fitted a new coupler
1114211352a[1].jpg

Salvaged the chute and shock cord and cut off an intact canard to trace three more.
1114211356[1].jpg

I had bagged the parts for a clone and forgot about it. Then a kit came up on EBay and I bought it.
This morning I found the bagged clone parts so I opened it up.
A new upper tube, washers for ballast and a balsa nose cone to replace the one of a kind plastic one and it will be as good as new.
1114211353[1].jpg

Laters.

Last edited:
Back