Another vintage build: Estes Python 4 #2054

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
This is a scale model kit of the Rafael Python 4 air to air missile used by the Israeli Air Force and exported to several countries. It has been superceded by the Python 5 and other AAMs.
Rafael-Python-4-FA-18A-Fit-Check-1S.jpg

Here on an Aussie air force F/A18 Hornet.

The face card:
0424200734[1].jpg


And the parts:
0424200729[1].jpg


If everybody's on lockdown building then where are all the build threads? Post 'em up guys!
TBC
 

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
1,967
Reaction score
358
Location
Athol, Massachusetts
This is the last one of the series I have yet to find (at a reasonable price). I just finished up a Paveway III last week.
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
This is the last one of the series I have yet to find (at a reasonable price). I just finished up a Paveway III last week.
Was it a straightforward build? (I have one in the build pile).
Didn't know this was part of a series. After digging around I think the others include the Patriot missile and BLU-97B Cluster bomb? Have the Patriot but the Cluster Bomb never appealed to me. The prospects of chasing down 3 or 4 falling objects instead of one does not strike my fancy. ;)
 

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
Joined
Aug 18, 2012
Messages
1,967
Reaction score
358
Location
Athol, Massachusetts
The Paveway was a fun build, pretty straight forward. I followed Chris's blog for most of the build.
Yes, you are correct, the Python, Patriot, BLU Cluster Bomb and Paveway III are part of the Enduring Freedom series, the four kits came with a patriotic eagle range box sticker.
I have only flown the Cluster Bomb a couple of times, once without the "bombs" and a few times with only two bombs. I don't like chasing too many things either.
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
Assembled the motor mount. Added a kevlar leader.
0425201158a[1].jpg


Separated the transition piece from the tail cone with a hobby saw.
0424202135[1].jpg

0425201158[1].jpg


With a sanding block and a piece of sandpaper removed any burrs and sanded the ends square.
This kit doesn't use the transition so it goes in the parts stash.
Sawed off the nibs covering the fin slots and sanded off the flashing. Cleaned up with a hobby knife.

Finally (for now) coupled and glued the main body tubes together.
0425201204[1].jpg


Need to let the motor mount and coupled tubes dry.

TBC
 
Last edited:

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
OK, you know how they say to read the instructions over a couple of times before starting assembly?
Sorta like, measure twice, cut once?
Well, the separation point of this rocket is supposed to be mid point, I wasn't supposed to glue the tubes together. Oh well, nose blow should work anyway. Just like I planned.🙄

The motor mount and tail cone were glued into the aft end.
0425201834[1].jpg


Fins and strakes were removed from the sheet and sanded.
0425201829[1].jpg


Oops!
0425201829a[1].jpg


No worries, easy fix.
Main fins were glued to the airframe.
0425202129[1].jpg


Will let this dry overnight.
Calling it a day.
TBC.
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
The kit includes paper conduits
0427200624[1].jpg


Glue is applied to the back and they are glued to the fin line
0427200809[1].jpg


And the strakes are glued on top
0427200847[1].jpg


Then the double canard fins are glued to the front
0427200842[1].jpg


TBC
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
The clay nose weight was packed into the nose cone. I decided to lock it down with gorilla glue and a few drops of water.
0427200843[1].jpg


It foams up and expands when curing. Just like the spray foam from Home Depot, but I don't wind up throwing away a nearly full can when the tube clogs up after one or two uses.

Launch lugs are attached and recovery gear is assembled and installed.
Just have to run final glue fillets, so I'm calling this assembly complete.
0427202307[1].jpg


Will update with pics when she is painted and decaled.
Decals are stick on, ugh.
Laters.
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
Basecoated.
Forgot to primer first.
Oh, well.
0624201828[1].jpg


Good thing the paint is paint and primer in one. 😄
 

neil_w

Hunkered down and slowly going crazy
TRF Supporter
Joined
Jul 14, 2015
Messages
9,053
Reaction score
2,385
Location
Northern NJ
Somehow I slept through this whole build. Looks nice.

I can't believe they provided the canards as one piece... seems unlikely that anyone would every be able to keep all four of them intact.
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
I look forward to one day drag racing my Python 4 against your Iris-T. ;)
 

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
4,434
Reaction score
1,960
Location
Hawaii
I was looking at the face card and deciding how to place the decals when I realized something.
I forgot to glue the launch lugs on. :facepalm:
TBC.
 
Top