Another porject completed

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edmiller

Reaction score
This rocket is called Chrome Overcast. It was built from parts I had on hand. Quantum Tube airframe. Fiberglass nose cone. Plywood centering rings. Phenolic motor tube. Aero-Pack retainer. Carbon fiber plate fins. Stainless steel hardware.

The main parts are covered with a chrome wrap meant for automobiles. Since the wrap would not wrap over and adhere over the edges or the airframe and openings, the areas were painted silver. The fin edges were painted candy blue. Blue metalflake tape was used for the stripes. Then the whole rocket was clear coated with House of Kolor UC-35 clear. The wrap had to be jointed at certain areas, around the fins and the nose cone, because it would not stretch enough. The joints are not visible unless you look closely.

Can't wait to see it reflecting sunlight when under chute.

Attachments

• 2020-06-23 12.37.15.jpg
    2020-06-23 12.37.15.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 76
Auto wraps come in an amazing assortment of colors and patterns and are self adhesive. They are normally used to recolor motor vehicles with out the expense of painting. They can also be removed with a little heat. Watch you tube for professionals applying wrap. This was the first time I did this so that means I am an amateur.

You have probably seen contractor trucks that look like a mural was painted on the entire vehicle. These are custom printed wraps.

I bought mine fromCar Wrap Supplier - amazing prices and selections of pro vinyl wrap films . This is not the only supplier.

If you buy some wrap, make sure do some research as to what you are getting into. Also spend the money to get the right application tools.

Also, the wrap has to be applied over a smooth surface so at the minimum you will have to prime and sand smooth and then gloss clear.

Is the nose cone paint or wrap? Looks great, if that’s a wrap I would like to know the trick to getting it around a compound curve, I have done it with Mylar tape, but takes a bunch of pieces and looks....less than optimal.

The nosecone is wrap material. I first tried it in three 120 deg segments, plus a little for overlap, and could nor get rid of the wrinkles. Then I tried four 90 deg segments. The wrinkles were smaller. Then I tried five 72 deg segments with success. There are overlap joints visible if you look for them. Nothing else can be done. I think that colored versions of auto wraps are more flexible and stretchable.

Is the nose cone paint or wrap? Looks great, if that’s a wrap I would like to know the trick to getting it around a compound curve, I have done it with Mylar tape, but takes a bunch of pieces and looks....less than optimal.
Mark Hayes has at least one tutorial video on doing a nose cone wrap. The flexibility of the vinyl is key.

Disclaimer: I haven't done one. :)

Based on the suggested tools from that autowrap site, it looks like heat and various tools are involved. I've seen vehicles with wraps that seem to get around some pretty tight curves.

Chrome trim is thicker and stretches less than colored wraps. Also, if stretched too much, the chrome look goes away and it turns silver.

The nose cone had an aluminum tip, so I did not have cover it all the way.

Back