Another Painting Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. Sometimes Rustoleum plays nice and sometimes it don't...

-Bob

So with paints that play well together (I.e., not mixing enamel and lacquer), the instructions say recoat within one hour or wait 24 to 48 hours. Can you mix primers and colors in that 1 hour window?

E.g,, hit with primer, 45 minutes later second primer, 45 minute later base color, 45 minutes later perhaps a shade?

I know you have to wait for a complete cure before masking, but wondering about the above.

So with paints that play well together (I.e., not mixing enamel and lacquer), the instructions say recoat within one hour or wait 24 to 48 hours. Can you mix primers and colors in that 1 hour window?
Yes, absolutely. I've done it multiple times (I checked with Rusto support before I tried this the first time and they said it was fine). However, you lose the ability to sand the primer in between, so it's harder to achieve a very smooth final finish. Also, I want to limit total number of coats applied in a session, probably wouldn't want to go above four. Seems to invite trouble if you apply too much paint at once.
E.g,, hit with primer, 45 minutes later second primer, 45 minute later base color, 45 minutes later perhaps a shade?
1 hour window start upon application of the first coat; what you've written there is over 2 hours worth of painting. Typical recoat time is approximately 10-20 minutes I would say. These days I target 10 minutes, which gets me finished within about 1/2 hour.

Yes, absolutely. I've done it multiple times (I checked with Rusto support before I tried this the first time and they said it was fine). However, you lose the ability to sand the primer in between, so it's harder to achieve a very smooth final finish. Also, I want to limit total number of coats applied in a session, probably wouldn't want to go above four. Seems to invite trouble if you apply too much paint at once.

1 hour window start upon application of the first coat; what you've written there is over 2 hours worth of painting. Typical recoat time is approximately 10-20 minutes I would say. These days I target 10 minutes, which gets me finished within about 1/2 hour.
Okay, so clock starts from first coat, doesn't restart with each NEW coat

Good to know

I think the biggest tip anyone can give when painting enamels is to be patient. Trying to put on that much paint in that short of a time violates that tip...

In my opinion, primering should be it's own step. I use the rustoleum filler primer that you find in the automotive area. Once I'm happy with the coverage I'll give it a final light wet sanding and move on to the actual painting. For the actual painting I will lay down two light coats maybe 5 to ten minutes apart. After another ten minutes or so I will spray the cover coat. Hopefully it will go well and no additional steps will be needed. This is based on my experience with the 2X line of paints.

-Bob

Oh, and one more big thing... Before you aim that can at the rocket and press the nozzle, spray some paint on a piece of cardboard or something to make sure it is coming out well.

Oops, and a second thing, if you start getting splatters after a few passes check the end of the nozzle. Sometimes paint builds up there and then will shoot off resulting in splatters.

-Bob

Decals are on and I was thinking of launching it today but Hobby Lobby was out of E12-6 motors. Was thinking of launching it on a D12-5 but I decided to wait for another day. Decals did crack as I was putting them on but they look ok from a few feet so I left them on. Next month's launch will be here before I know it.

Purple Vapor Decals.jpg

-Bob

Looks great! For giggles I loaded mine up with an Aerotech E15 at the last club launch of the year. I wish I had the forethought to put an altimeter in it as it really roared. Forgetting to arm the JLCR was a serious oops but fortunately it landed intact and only a short walk from the pad. :dontknow:

The spray paint gods are meniacol. I've had paint that goes on a cardboard box fine then crinkle on a BT. It usually happens before noon for me so stick to afternoons.

Well, the first rebuild happened back around Dec 2019. I just looked back at that thread and I was having problems with the paint on it then. I fought with it and fought but then just flew it like it was. That was the last time CWF was applied in that area.

I scrapped and sanded the area today. I also applied the poly acrylic but that didn't really go on very smooth. I sanded it down and am ready to try some primer but I ran out yesterday. I'll get more tomorrow but I'm not sure there will be much of a difference. I may have sanded all the poly off.

I just don't get why it is still doing this...

-Bob

What was the ambient temperature when you were painting. Cold weather is a bane to gloss paints. You can get away with spraying flat paints and avoid crinkling/crazing, but even flat paints will run if you spray too much at one time. Wait til the temperature is at least 70 degrees.

Enamel paints are the bane to painting :) Sometimes there just is no explanation.

The room temp was usually in mid-70s.

-Bob

Back