Another option to black powder ejection charges.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firemanup

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Well guys I had some ideas for what I'd use for ejection canisters and what I would use for propellants.

Did some ground testing today and got my ejection canisters to work fine as well as another, unregulated powder.

Hogden's Triple Seven powder, unregulated for use in modern muzzle loaders, worked great in my 4" Horizon ground testing, pretty much overpowered.

Check out my web page and go to the ejection canisters page to get a full rundown with plenty of pictures...and details.

Isn't it interesting how everything you look at now gets translated into rocketry somehow?:D

Nice idea -- keep up the testing and continue to share your results. I would like to see some pictures of the electronics bay for the Thor as well.

Done some more testing and the triple seven is working just fine using equal amounts to the black powder.

Did try it without taping it up and it fizzled then, but with a couple wraps of duct tape it works great...

A have a few dozen .44 caliber shot cups. These cups with caps were made to hold very small shot (like number 12) and make shotshells for a .44 magnum. See attached file.
They hold 2 grams of FFFg black powder and could easily be modified for ejection canisters. They are relatively inexpensive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/292402

Bob,

Those definately look like another good option...

Alot of guys use the plastic micro centrifuge vials.. and they work great but the more i look i'm finding too many other things that would work just as well and are alot cheaper..

I made 'ejection charge canisters' myself.
Just used small copper tubing endcaps. Attached them via screwfrom inside to the bulkhead. They are thus permanent and reusable. I used triple 7 (about 25% more than std black powder), stuffed it down tight with dog barf, and electrical tape to seal it (once across the top, then wrapped around the sides to help hold it firm). Oh, and don't forget to slip your ematch in before packing!
Ground tested several times and got same measured distance nose cone ejection as BP. Sold my altimeter and Nitrous motor, so I never actually used it in flight.

Back