Another one bites the dust

TNmike

Reaction score
Scion no longer on Estes website...

Glad I got my Panavia a few days ago.

dcullen

Reaction score
Drat. Bill at BMS needs to clone this. Basically a stretched 3" School Rocket with 29mm mount and ply fins. Probably couldn't sell at the Estes clearance price, but I'll bet he could get $50 for it. This has been the goto rocket for my high school students attempting Jr. Lvl 1. 12 successes and 12 more building.

blackwing94

Reaction score
And Cyclotron is no longer on LOC Precision page. Tube fins must be out of fashion. :(

dcullen

Reaction score
They might not be the last, but I'm not selling any of mine. Pricing out parts from BMS comes to $49. 3" Binder Excel @ $59 looks like the best alternative for my Jr. certification kids.

TNmike

Reaction score
I am worried that are dicontinuing the Pro Series.

Yeah, I hope Estes ends up coming out with new ones. I would hate to see them discontinue the PSII series, but that is their choice if so. Other companies won't mind.

TNmike

Reaction score
Estes is still listing some of the parts (nose cones, body tubes, couplers, etc., but no 3" NC) for the PSII rockets (https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/accessories/pro-series-ii?p=1). One problem would be the non-standard size centering rings, but a person could work around that, especially if they have a machine shop.

I would like to see them come back with some PSIII's using standard size BT-70 and BT-80 tubes, which would open up a lot of possibilities, at least as far as their share of MPR's.

chrisudy

Reaction score
I bought the PSII bundle a couple years ago when estes was blowing them out. I still have 2 Ventris, and one each of Leviathan, Partizon, and Argent unbuilt in storage.

TNmike

Reaction score
I guess that was the last of the 3" nosecones from estes.

Glad I got my leviathan replacement Scion bag sitting behind the couch already.

Big Daddy is 3" OD and I presume has the same NC as the Scion.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Big Daddy is 3" OD and I presume has the same NC as the Scion.
Is that the same as Leviathan? I can confirm Big Daddy and Leviathan are identical NCs. Mercury / BMS Big School Rocket is a pretty decent substitute in a pinch.

Mr Rocket

Reaction score
Yep, Down to only 3 Pro Series II Builder Kits left on the Estes website
  • Nike Smoke
  • Panavia
  • Sahara
These rockets definitely filled a niche and price point that noone else has been able to touch. Maybe it was that price point that was their demise.

noffie79

Reaction score
I have one of each of the PSII kits still in the bag. I think I may hang on to them. Glad I hadn't gotten around to building a couple of them.

HandsomeRob

Reaction score
Anyone else notice the Star Orbiter is listed under the EX2 kits but is categorized as a Builders kit? I missed the boat on so many of these, I do hope they bring out more. Not all that into the EX2 kits....

TNmike

Reaction score
That's interesting as the builder kits are not in retail packaging.....except for the Star Orbiter. Go figure.

dhbarr

Amateur Professional
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I do hope they do more like the star Orbiter, assuming they get their finwood problem sorted. Maybe start recommending papering?