Another Onboard Camera Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My dad and I used to use zipties and electrical tape to strap they good ol 808 keychain cam on the side of rockets for some good fun footage. However, with how cheap 4k and FHD tech has become, I am curious to see what the modern standard is.

What are you guys strapping to rockets, and how? I have a small collection of GoPros, but want something a little easier to simply strap on the rocket and a little more affordable to lose ;)

Pictures and clips would be much appreciated!

Braden

I gave up on the SQ11 because it kept turning itself on/off while in flight. It works fine on its side but can only half the screen

I’m going back to the FOB. Masking tape has incredible sheer strength and is easy to take off.

I have been using my 808 #16 cams for years. I recently lost one and replaced it with a Mobius Mini. It's roughly the same size but far better video quality. About double the price, too.

Very happy with it except it doesn't have the function to automatically start recording at power on. BTW the 808 cam was recovered after about 6 weeks in a cornfield getting irrigated daily and it still works!

I've been watching the SBR designs on an ebay with GoPro camera mount with interest. I have yet to see any video, but the 'side view' would be different and present some interesting 'turn it off/on' challenges.

As to affordability of the GoPro.....I think we should take a que from the FPS drone flyers and be using things like the Run Cam5/orange or other offerings. 99% of a GoPro at 30% of the price.

Back