Another new QUest motor

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
No sooner than I get my hands on the new Quest E35 Q-Jet motors than a box arrives with the F41 Q-Jet motors. :cool:

This is a 24mm x 95mm motor (Same as an Estes E12) but the F41 is a 45 N-sec total impulse motor.

Sold in a two-pack with -5, -8 & -11 second delays utilizing White Lightning propellant.

Historical note: AeroTech produced an F41 29mm diameter motor in the 1980s. This F41 was the first motor to use White Lightning propellant. This propellant was later reformulated to reduce the amount of sparks it produced.

Quest Q-Jet F41 Motors 10-16-22.jpg

Bob,
Could you please check out the quality of the nozzle on these?
I attempted to test fly one of these motors for a local vendor who got the motor donated at NARAM.
After the first misfire, the clay nozzle did show some damage, after the second misfire, the nozzle was not useable.
I had read that quest was working on fixing this issue.
Does this clay nozzle issue seem fixed to you?

Al

24 mm F41 sounds awesome! Hopefully, they are easier to light than the F44. I'd love to use these for clusters.

24 mm F41 sounds awesome! Hopefully, they are easier to light than the F44. I'd love to use these for clusters.

In my 4x Big Daddy sim, the F41 gets about 13% more altitude over the E35. Basically same rail speed. Depending on price, that may not be worth the extra cost over the E35; especially burning four of them at a time. (2616' vs 2947' are my sim'd altitudes). I have yet to see any prices on these, so my assessment here could be totally useless :)

1666029431269.png

I am surprised to find that 24mm F motors exist.
Gonna have to try one of those in my Big Daddy, although I have a few other rockets that can take an "E", but if I put it in my Sky Ferry, I'd probably never see that rocket ever again.

Were are you getting these... I have not seen the E35 or F41 make it to the Aerotech, or any Distributors websites for sale yet... we are running out of time to play with them before cold sets in. (The say we may see snow flurries tomorrow.)

Were are you getting these... I have not seen the E35 or F41 make it to the Aerotech, or any Distributors websites for sale yet... we are running out of time to play with them before cold sets in. (The say we may see snow flurries tomorrow.)
They are probably early run motors, its not unusual for certain known members of the community to get "early release" items, like motors and kits.

In my 4x Big Daddy sim, the F41 gets about 13% more altitude over the E35. Basically same rail speed. Depending on price, that may not be worth the extra cost over the E35; especially burning four of them at a time. (2616' vs 2947' are my sim'd altitudes). I have yet to see any prices on these, so my assessment here could be totally useless :)

View attachment 542157
I think the big draw is the thrust over the total impulse/altitude. They seem to be made specifically to get something heavy up.

I think the big draw is the thrust over the total impulse/altitude. They seem to be made specifically to get something heavy up.

Not really, if you are comparing the E35 to F41. The first .3 seconds are very similar as shown in post #5 above. So the difference is how high the progressive thrust gets, and how long.

Bob,
Could you please check out the quality of the nozzle on these?
I attempted to test fly one of these motors for a local vendor who got the motor donated at NARAM.
After the first misfire, the clay nozzle did show some damage, after the second misfire, the nozzle was not useable.
I had read that quest was working on fixing this issue.
Does this clay nozzle issue seem fixed to you?

Al
Al,

I have yet to fly the F41 motors.

However, this past Saturday I flew two of the E35 motors which use the same casing and nozzle clay.

Both flights were fine and each model reached some impressive altitudes.

Here is a picture of both motor nozzles post flight.

Quest Q-Jet E35-8W motor nozzles 10-17-22.jpg

The thrustcurves I posted show the initial hit is basically the same for each motor. Sims agree. The shape of the curve isn't that good for heavy birds. It'll lift stuff just a bit more, and more quickly, than a BP D12/E12. Where they shine is total impulse (and once it's moving). They'll be awesome when you have a lower flier on D12/E12 motors and then get to a field with more room! (*cough*, single motor Big Daddys)

1666091194091.png

Any idea on pricing for the E35 or F41 yet?

These may be my F20/G35/F21 Econojet replacements. Can see a nice progression of C11/D12/E35/F41 for 24mm LPR rockets, giving a nice range of altitudes, quick repeat flights, and non-hazmat shipping.

Just hoping they are cost effective, current Enerjet 24mm F44 retails for $38.99 2-pack. Remember the days of $2x.xx G35 Econojets!

These may be my F20/G35/F21 Econojet replacements. Can see a nice progression of C11/D12/E35/F41 for 24mm LPR rockets, giving a nice range of altitudes, quick repeat flights, and non-hazmat shipping.

Just hoping they are cost effective, current Enerjet 24mm F44 retails for $38.99 2-pack. Remember the days of $2x.xx G35 Econojets!
A G80 was also $30. Now it’s close to $40.

A bit more than I’d like to blow every week but enough that I can do it as an occasional treat.

If AT’s pricing on the new big Q-Jets falls in line with the existing motors my guess would be $18 for a two-pack of E35s or F41s.

Thanks for the ad post @Theory, if the prices hold when they actually do make it to market, the prices seem reasonable, particularly when vendors toss a discount on them.

Last edited:
From Apogee. I'll wait until I burn through my crap supply of E26 and D22 motors. I plan to put them in my Mega Vortigo and see if the nozzles break apart or not.

Quest E35 Single-Use Motors
Quest E35 Motors
The Quest E35W might become one of your favorite mid-power rocket motors that are 24mm in diameter. This is a FULL E-motor, being at the upper limit of just under 40 N-s of total power. It has great kick off the launch pad, which is what is needed for heavier rockets or those that are larger in diameter. At 95mm (3.75 inches) long, it is the same size as the Estes E12, but with more power, a huge white flame, and a deep throaty roar. And it still won't go so high that you'll risk losing your rocket. It comes in delays of 5, 8 and 11 seconds. It will be great in the Katana Jr, the LexxJet and the Super Big Bertha rockets (29mm adapter not included).​

Al,

I have yet to fly the F41 motors.

However, this past Saturday I flew two of the E35 motors which use the same casing and nozzle clay.

Both flights were fine and each model reached some impressive altitudes.

Here is a picture of both motor nozzles post flight.

View attachment 542215
Dang, that clay nozzle material is really fine grained and resembles concrete. Got any before shots to compare for nozzle erosion?

Back