Another new motor certified

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Whitmore

Reaction score
TMT has also tested and certified the Aerotech K76WN-P single use 54mm diameter motor. This motor has the familiar 2-propellant configuration of White Lightning and Warp 9 to produce a thrust spike of about 300 N at ignition, followed by a LONG tail of about 20 N (or 6.8 lbf). Burn times are around 20 seconds. Details will appear on www.thrustcurve.com very soon.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, TMT

Attachments

• K76WN all three.JPG
    K76WN all three.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 157
I was hoping for less spike, higher thrust sustai.
Would require a smaller nozzle throat, which would undoubtedly CATO with an ordinary-size Warp-9 grain. Make the Warp-9 grain half the length and it might work. Even so, this K76 has an excellent thrust profile for an upper stage sustainer.

It's cool/funny to see it off the charts at thrustcurve. :) Looks like a really fun motor!
Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 11.37.56 AM.png

Would require a smaller nozzle throat, which would undoubtedly CATO with an ordinary-size Warp-9 grain. Make the Warp-9 grain half the length and it might work. Even so, this K76 has an excellent thrust profile for an upper stage sustainer.

The Warp 9 is the end burning grain if im not mistaken. I do not think the Kn of WL end burner with a Warp 9 boost grain would support continued ignition.

I just ran a simulation of this in my 3" tubefin. It's hilarious. It gets off the pad fine, thanks to the boost grain, but it actually starts to slow down once that burns out. I am definitely going to fly one once I get my L2 certification.

A tubefin rocket would be ideal for this motor. I've found that tubefin rockets fly unusually straight with long burn motors.

I just ran a simulation of this in my 3" tubefin. It's hilarious. It gets off the pad fine, thanks to the boost grain, but it actually starts to slow down once that burns out. I am definitely going to fly one once I get my L2 certification.

I can speak from experience that flights over 20,000 feet are easily possible.
Yeah, I bet so. If I move that sim to Black Rock, I get over 19. If I shortened it or made it more smooth or went to 3 fins, 20 should be right there. Sure looks like fun!

TMT has also tested and certified the Aerotech K76WN-P single use 54mm diameter motor. This motor has the familiar 2-propellant configuration of White Lightning and Warp 9 to produce a thrust spike of about 300 N at ignition, followed by a LONG tail of about 20 N (or 6.8 lbf). Burn times are around 20 seconds. Details will appear on www.thrustcurve.com very soon.

Alan Whitmore
Chair, TMT

Is the Certified Rocket Motors List,

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf

available in any other form besides a PDF?

An Excel spreadsheet or CSV would be great if possible!

Is the Certified Rocket Motors List,

https://www.nar.org/SandT/pdf/CombinedMotorsByImpulse.pdf

available in any other form besides a PDF?

An Excel spreadsheet or CSV would be great if possible!

Yes, the "Combined Motors by Impulse" file is updated every 6 months or so, so this will become slightly more out of date as time goes by. I am keeping my copy updated, until someone volunteers to curate the .xlsx
Alan

Attachments

• Section 8_3 Project.xlsx
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Back