Another great day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWALPOCO

Reaction score
Oh we are blessed with beautiful weather so far this year up in Wales.

Alan , Woody and I once again took to the field today. Wind was gusting up to about 8mph maximum , hardly a cloud in the sky , bright sunshine ....... almost perfect !

We put about 9 flights up but the number of rocket types were somewhat thin on the ground. I had my Estes MCom set with me again and the cannon fodder bullpup , Woody had his MCom set too and Alan had his Code Red and his pair of X-Fliers.

We had at our disposal an array of motors thanks to having two Estes Blast Off flight packs with us so we were able to gauge how the flights were going to be by sending up a B motor flight or two.

My MCom Navy got its first outing today and flew very nicely much like Woodys Navy a few weeks ago. I also sent up the Bullpup twice , very happy with the flights tho it suffered superficial damage on one landing. Chutes twisting on their lines seemed to affect nearly every flight today , the slow gusting wind seeming to have alot of influence for some reason.

I do recall having to run a long way for Alans X-Flier that he sent into the stratosphere on a C motor , Im a few kilos lighter after that run.

Code Red is still giving masses of value for money. No real bad flights on it yet , all pretty good n true and not many long walks to recover it. In fact the last flight of the day was on the CodeRed and it returned more or less back to the Pad and into Alans waiting arms.

So what did the rocket Gods demand in return for this good day I hear you ask. Well the Gods were not really hungry at all. They did threaten to steal away the MCom Army of Woodys' which incidentally flew much better with a weighted nose. It had landed out of sight in the long grass and took a bit of time to find. In fact the Rocket Gods threw up Woodys BT of his FireFlash lost a few weeks ago during the search! The only damage today that Im aware of is the paint chip on the Bullpup NC. This means of course that to balance out the rocket Kama someones just about to have a CATO ..... sorry .....

Hopefully Woody will get some more Videos of day done , watch this space.

Paul

Sounds good you guys, I havn't flown all winter...can't wait to get back out there!

**cussing at the standing water in the yard from this morning's heavy rain**

Maybe next weekend.

*SIGH*

Even my wife feels my pain and wishes for nice weather so I could go outside and "play with my toys."

This is the only still Ive got of the day , soz .... have to wait for the vids ....

From Left to Right, Woodys Modded MCom Army with added noseweight , Alans trusty Code Red and my MCom Navy.

Paul

hey the rockets on the left and right were the first rockets I ever owned.....so much fun...until I launched them with Cs and never saw them again

Originally posted by Mike
I havn't flown all winter...can't wait to get back out there!
Same here ... can't be that long till theres a suitable day for flying, when I'm not doing something else.

Sounds like you lot had fun today, Paul. :D

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Nic pic! Can't wait for the good weather to move in here.
:D

it is pretty nice here...at least on this end of MA. I could have launched today....if I wasnt at school. O well, just did a little work instead

Originally posted by Mike
Sounds good you guys, I havn't flown all winter...can't wait to get back out there!

I can't wait to go to a launch and not have to have so much clothes on that I can't move. But winter has one advantage in Northern Wisconsin, FROZEN LAKES. Just drive out on a lake(if the snow isn't too deep), set up and launch. Lets us launch our more insane rockets like my Stormcaster on a F21 or my Renegade with 3 D12's in the booster and a E9 in the sustainer.

Y'all just need to stop whining about the weather and move down here to SoCal... Live in El Centro , where things are cheap, and you're only about 10 miles from our HPR site!

WW

Originally posted by wwattles
Y'all just need to stop whining about the weather and move down here to SoCal... Live in El Centro , where things are cheap, and you're only about 10 miles from our HPR site!

WW

I might hate the -30 degree weather in the winter here but I really can't stand the +100 degree days. But is there any decent sized deserts that you can send this way, we can use a decent sized launch field that can't be used as farmland.

"superficial damage on one landing. Chutes twisting on their lines seemed to affect nearly every flight today , the slow gusting wind seeming to have alot of influence for some reason."

I was wondering if you are using the small swivel/clips on your parachutes? Are you famililar with them?
If not...they will help in keeping the 'chutes from twisting as much...You can get them at any fishing bait and tackle counter....
If you are familiar...well then...never mind...LOL
We all love to hear and see great experiences at the flying field...continued good luck to you...!!!

Paul,

Glad you had some great launch weather! We had a similar time here, with temps that seemed like 70 and low winds/sunshine...shame I was stuck indoors, but our club had a great HPR launch both days.

Carl

Originally posted by Steward

I was wondering if you are using the small swivel/clips on your parachutes? Are you famililar with them?

Funnily enough I made Woody buy some that very morning, from a local tackle shop. A swivel was put on Woody's Army & My Xflier Black.

They worked ok, by limiting the twist, on the rockets without them the parachutes opened pretty badly. They acted more like streamers, hence Pauls ding in the paint job on his bullpup.

I would like to try out an anti tangle frame to stop the rotation of the lines, anyone tried something like this?

May I add that Woody is now banned from taking any video footage, We are lucky to have some high ground where we launch, so on Pauls 2nd BP launch i stole the camera and took a cracking piece of footage, approx 10 metres above the pad.

With the zoom of the camera I could get the launch pad full frame, on count down I zoomed out capturing the whole flight.
With ejection slap bang in the middle of the viewfinder.

Hopefully woody will digitise it asap so you can see this awesome launch. :D

Al.

Finally we prodded and cajouled Woody into doing his good ol capturing ! Good on you Woody !!

I think thisll work '

www.launchwindow.co.uk/video/bullpup-001-l4.wmv

I know this ones a bit big , but its the largest of all the files and has a funny ending courtesy of Woody , ntrance was behind the camera and I collected the bullpup ....

If this link checks out no doubt Woody n Ntrance will post some more links from our donored webspace ..

Paul

Contrary to popular belief I am not a slave (Got Woody to do this Got woody to do that) but as you can tell by the posts I hold the whole show together.:mad:

And yes It was me with a foot in the Rabbit hole (Ntrance Deamon with the Camera).

Back