Another genius move by NASA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJnike

Reaction score
https://www.space.com/news/090429-orion-crew-slashed.html

Way to go, NASA! (sarcastic) What's next? Do we have a few Apollo or Gemini capsules hanging around that we could just use instead? I mean, why bother building what you actually WANT to build when you're spending several billions of dollars when you could rush through it and settle for second best.

Soapbox Rant Alert! :hot:

Anyone who thinks the folks at NASA are to blame for the state of the US space program does not understand government acquisition. NASA has been getting screwed by the government since the early 70's and that's why we've been going backwards since Apollo.

I like to tell folks that if you want to complain about NASA then you have to complain to your congressman 10 times first.

NASA is not entirely blameless in this, but I guarantee that for every stupid decision that they make, the smart decision was identified, vetted, proposed, fought for and ultimately abandoned because the government wouldn't commit the resources.

Kennedy decided to make the commitment, not one administration since then has done so.

My slightly opinionated :2:

I noticed SpaceX get a mention in there. Any thoughts on Mr. Musk's efforts?

"The agency is also hoping to use American-built commercial spacecraft, such as the Dragon vehicle and a rocket under development by Space Exploration Technologies, to carry U.S. cargo to the station. Those privately built spacecraft, however, have yet to fly."

Of course NASA isn't entirely to blame. NASA is a government agency it's in their nature to make poor decisions. I work with government agencies and I can assure you every single one I have encountered does the same thing. NASA has no motivation to operate efficiently since there is no bottom line to meet. Just a flow of cash to grab from Uncle Sam.

-Dave

Regarding this latest change of the deal in the "shuttle replacement" known as CEV, I mean Orion, and the Aries vehicles, I am reminded of a famous quote by Lando Calrissian in "The Empire Stirkes Back":

"This deal is getting worse all the time".

Hey, Apollo would have been cheaper and easier too if part-way thru the design phase the crew had ben cut down to two, or even ONE. The Russian Lunar Lander was only going to land one Cosmonaut.

- George Gassaway

From this side of the pond it's a crying shame to see all that time and money wasted on re-engineering Apollo well nigh fifty years on.
The future is indeed cancelled.

Hey, Apollo would have been cheaper and easier too if part-way thru the design phase the crew had ben cut down to two, or even ONE. The Russian Lunar Lander was only going to land one Cosmonaut.

- George Gassaway

I'll betcha Apollo 13 would most surely have been a coffin in that case.

N

Read between the lines. :eyepop:

The vehicle is overweight. :y:

The're banging their heads against the wall :bang: and can't get anymore stuff inside. :bangpan:

The simplest way to reduce the weight is to remove 2 astronauts and the gear required to support them. :confused2:

Bob :2:

They didn't say they were scrapping the six seat version, they just that they were only developing the four seat version right now. I agree that this doesn't bode well for the six seat version, but it might get built one day.

Aircraft manufacturers do this all the time. Build the standard model and then do the stretch version.

They're keeping the six astronaut version, but they have to take turns breathing!

They do the best they can with what they have. I find it odd that ESA and CSA offered to help develop ie fund and research next gen of manned space and got told go away :) I think europe should revisit manned space with Arianne V and maybe look at upgrading Jules verne so it is man capable. I remember the Hermes project which looked cool as well. Our next participant for ISS I belive is going up on a Soyuz. I find that objectionable but i will not go into why here :) In as regards to government departments wasting money I belive they are pikers compared to their brethren in the finance and automotive sectors :):marshmallow:
:cheers:
Fred

They do the best they can with what they have.

I disagree. Most of them do the best they can to save their jobs. Sure, there are many idealists at NASA who work their tush off day in and day out as efficiently as possible and for them I am grateful. Unfortunately there are many more out to justify their job. Every person working at any government agency will admit to this. I see it all the time.

In as regards to government departments wasting money I belive they are pikers compared to their brethren in the finance and automotive sectors

A truer statement could not have been said. However, waste that occurs at NASA is a mere microcosm of what is wrong with government funding as a whole. Since we are all rocket scientists to one degree or another some of us tend to express our frustrations on NASA. If we were all nuclear engineers we might voice our frustrations with the Nuclear Regulator Commission instead.

-Dave

However, waste that occurs at NASA is a mere microcosm of what is wrong with government funding as a whole. Since we are all rocket scientists to one degree or another some of us tend to express our frustrations on NASA. If we were all nuclear engineers we might voice our frustrations with the Nuclear Regulator Commission instead.
I am a nuclear engineer, by degree if not by experience (BSNE 1978), and I'm far more frustrated with the public than I am with the NRC.

I disagree. Most of them do the best they can to save their jobs. Sure, there are many idealists at NASA who work their tush off day in and day out as efficiently as possible and for them I am grateful. Unfortunately there are many more out to justify their job. Every person working at any government agency will admit to this. I see it all the time.

A truer statement could not have been said. However, waste that occurs at NASA is a mere microcosm of what is wrong with government funding as a whole. Since we are all rocket scientists to one degree or another some of us tend to express our frustrations on NASA. If we were all nuclear engineers we might voice our frustrations with the Nuclear Regulator Commission instead.

-Dave
I dont agree at all as I have met lots of great public servants on both sides of the border :)
I do not agree that NASA bleeds money all that much as a matter of fact I am frankly in awe of how well they do :) NASA is under incredibly tight scrutiny all the time and unfairly critisized lots. I just wish the same intense scrutiny appiled to NASA on a daily basis had been used in other areas and maybe more folks would not be losing homes right now:bangpan:
:cheers:
Fred

If only the banking industry had been scrutinized as much as NASA we'd all still have a decent retirement left.:2:

OK, I'm done.

Back