Another fiberglass beauty!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Look at this lovely new addition to my fleet!

And the best part is the kit builder is within a 15 minute drive from me!

Hey, it's in teh watering hole!! :D

Since the borders are closed, and I am likely not going to be flying in the foreseeable future, might as well fill the time with another hobby! this is a class built "IOM" Weedless class. it's a 'J-Boat' design from H2o designs. Looks like I am number 33..

20210418_172708.jpg big box!
20210418_172733.jpg nicely wrapped!
20210418_173542.jpg Look at the that fin! (er, keel..)
20210418_173640.jpg With rudder in place
20210418_174422.jpg Lotsa 3D printed parts! even the rudder is 3D printed!
20210418_174704.jpg kit ready to build!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm L3 and have done the occasional RSO duty and that does NOT look aerodynamically stable. And where's the motor mount? The other fins? I see just one big fin and it doesn't look like it will do much. What size motor does it take? Looks like it'll handle an H but not much more.
;)
Best -- Terry

Very nice! What is the displacement on a big boat like that? Do you sail in other classes as well? I'm currently building a vintage marblehead, it is slow going, but I enjoy that.

... this is a class built "IOM" Weedless class. it's a 'J-Boat' design from H2o designs ...

I understand the word "boat". Since you also mention "rudder", I assume "boat" can be taken literally. Looking at the picture, I think I can make out an upside down boat with a big keel. I'm wondering what it would look like when ready and whether it's radio controlled.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm L3 and have done the occasional RSO duty and that does NOT look aerodynamically stable. And where's the motor mount? The other fins? I see just one big fin and it doesn't look like it will do much. What size motor does it take? Looks like it'll handle an H but not much more.
;)
Best -- Terry
yeah, I was thinking an H4... maybe an H2 for burn time..

J class 1 meter "Weedless" (it has a 45° leading edge on the keel)
teh 'IOM' is an open class, meaning a design that fits XX criteria. in this case, fits teh 36-39" length rule.

It'll have about 3.5kg of lead as ballast, is I guess that's about the displacement: about 3-3.5Kg (7.25lbs)
Yes, R/C.. This is my third boat. first one to really sail competitively with teh group. (1st is a "Victor Models" boat, 2nd in the Dragon Force 65, and this one. )

Built & supplied by this guy:
https://h2orcdesign.ca/j-class/

J class 1 meter "Weedless" (it has a 45° leading edge on the keel)

I had heard about the really big "J class", but I didn't know that there was a 1 meter J class. Is there a racing category for it under the AMYA, or is this strictly for fun?

EDIT: Just realized your north of the border, so you've probably got a different model sailing association.

I had heard about the really big "J class", but I didn't know that there was a 1 meter J class. Is there a racing category for it under the AMYA, or is this strictly for fun?

EDIT: Just realized your north of the border, so you've probably got a different model sailing association.

https://www.theamya.org/boats/iom/IOM_CLASS_RULES_2013.pdf
under the 'IOM' rules. it's part of this class, a "sub class" if you will (as far as I know..)

And yes, Canada does have it's own version of the AMYA

https://crya.ca/weedless-1-meter-canada/

Woah. Never knew any of this even existed. Not a boat person I am. I think I'll move on, cheers.

Back