another FAQ

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stewart32

Reaction score
Hey folks...

I know this has been covered before, but I cant seem to find it.

I want to be able to check continuity of the igniter (meaning most commercially available brands) with a small current. What is the accepted value: 2 mA?

Thanks

i don't know the answer but if you use one of those cheap LEDs at radio shack as a bridge for checking the continuity, they wont light. hope that helps???

I think 15mA is about the upper end for checking continuity, but I would guess anything 5<15 would work also

Originally posted by Stewart32
Hey folks...

I know this has been covered before, but I cant seem to find it.

I want to be able to check continuity of the igniter (meaning most commercially available brands) with a small current. What is the accepted value: 2 mA?

Thanks

The answer is - it depends on your igniter. If you are using a commercial igniter it would be best to check the specs as they do differ. The BRS (LDRS3) made a conscious decision, based on past experience, NOT to do continuity checks at the pad. At past launches, there have always been one or two igniters that simply do not want ANY small current run through them... just too sensitive. I use higher current igniters on the pad - low current for ejection charges. Oxrals and Daveryfires have spec sheets that will give you their safe testing current. Good luck.
Murray

If you just want to see if the igniter is good, Then just use a VOM.
In fact, if it has diode range, use that.
aron

Back