Another Deuce is born!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
She's finally done, after all the painting mishaps, and masking problems. The finish is not as perfect as I'd like, but it's built for flying, not for show. I wish the sun had been shining when I took the pic, as the colors are very brilliant in sunlight.

Very Nice!

I like the paint job. What paint did you use?

Scott

The paints are Plasti-kote lacquers. After filling, primering and sanding, I started with a base coat of saddle tan metallic gold. Next, I sprayed about 4 coats of candy apple metallic blue, then after masking off the pattern, about 4 coats of candy metallic red (which gave a nice light shade of purple over the blue). It's topped off with 4 coats of clear.

Jim, no flight pics yet. First flight will hopefully be in a few weeks at the first ever BluesRocks launch.

nice job dave .!!! ..

don't forget a launch pic .!

Hey great paint job!

My Deuce remains unbuilt in the bag. By the way, could you let me know when the first BluesRocks launch will occur? Will it be at Masterson Station Park?

Thanks

Stewart.

Originally posted by Stewart32
Hey great paint job!

My Deuce remains unbuilt in the bag. By the way, could you let me know when the first BluesRocks launch will occur? Will it be at Masterson Station Park?

Thanks

Stewart.

Launches have already been happening at Masterson Station Park. Currently, there is a field that will be available in Elizabethtown. A launch is planned for somewhere around the end of October. If your not already a member, join the BluesRocks Yahoo group for current events and updates at https://groups.yahoo.com/group/bluesrocks/

Originally posted by astrowolf67
I started with a base coat . . . I sprayed about 4 coats of candy apple metallic blue, then . . . about 4 coats of candy metallic red . . . topped off with 4 coats of clear.

I suspect that you were actually trying to get high on paint fumes? Those coats must have been very light to avoid drips and runs---is that why it took four coats per color?

Very nice-looking paint job, and a clever paint pattern to highlight the 'Deuce.' Looks like it all went to plan, don't see any sign of you having any painting mishaps or masking trouble.

If you built this one for flying and not for show, then I would love to hear how you DO paint a rocket for show!

Powder, I DO like the smell of the lacquer paints :). I spray a few coats to get even coverage without runs, then, when those tack up good, I spray a good "wet" coat. I love painting with lacquer auto spray paints, quick drying time, and lots of gloss.

Back