Another build thread?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll do the upscale later and I have the F-104 as well... I figure these kits won't build themselves. I also have the Lexxjet to build.

I am so confused. Didn't you have another thread where you said you were getting out of the hobby and selling everything you own? Change of heart?

I am so confused. Didn't you have another thread where you said you were getting out of the hobby and selling everything you own? Change of heart?

You took the words right out of my mouth...

Actually the F 104 will be a gift to my sister after its first flight she can have it as a "Shelf Queen" I really want to see how it flies. I actually have another F-104 kit with laser cut parts that I plan on keeping if I decide I want to build it or modify it slightly. The Snarky is going to a friend who doesn't have the time, means or skill to build, but does enjoy launching. I'm getting paid pretty well to build it and wanted to document the process so he can see what was involved. Hopefully by doing so he will become more adventurous and try a kit of similar skill level. It just takes time. Can't rush anything. As far as the upscale SNARKY someone mentioned that it had been done before, without much success or the flight was sketchy. I thought I would be up for the challenge for that reason only and if it does fly then great!

Last edited:
One of the most beautiful features on this forum is the "IGNORE" feature which allows you IGNORE people who are not worth the time of day! :) I have over a dozen people on that list. YAY!!!:) :neener::neener:

Last edited:
As far as the upscale SNARKY someone mentioned that it had been done before, without much success or the flight was sketchy. I thought I would be up for the challenge for that reason only and if it does fly then great!

Actually I recall there being a large HP upscale Snarky done that I read flew multiple times very well...looked very cool. I'll see if I can find the link later.

Was it the 4" version? I'm going to build it in RS and see what I come up with. I'm going to stay with balsa parts to keep the weight down, but reinforce the leading and tip edges with hard wood.

Last edited:
Was it the 4" version? I'm going to build it in RS and see what I come up with. I'm going to stay with balsa parts to keep the weight down, but reinforce the leading and tip edges with hard wood.

I can't recall specifically, but it may have even been a 6". I found pics and a bit of info about 2 years ago when I was thinking of upscaling the Snarky myself and it was surprising how "hidden" that upscale Snarky was (almost like at the end of a Bing image search or something). I do recall reading that it had a bunch of successful flights, so it isn't the 4" one that I've read about arcing over and crashing down. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I can't recall specifically, but it may have even been a 6". I found pics and a bit of info about 2 years ago when I was thinking of upscaling the Snarky myself and it was surprising how "hidden" that upscale Snarky was (almost like at the end of a Bing image search or something). I do recall reading that it had a bunch of successful flights, so it isn't the 4" one that I've read about arcing over and crashing down. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I think it was the dead link inside of this thread which pointed to "https://www.geocities.com/sars_55/gillespie/snarky.html". I tried further searching, but no dice. If I do end up finding the info (perhaps fav'ed on an old computer), I'll update. There wasn't much info available other than some pics of it by a trailer (not Wildman) and on a cradle taken by someone else at a launch from what I recall.

So given that this is now a "rocket myth" for now...Yes, I'd like to see an upscale Snarky build thread! :)

I think it was the dead link inside of this thread which pointed to "https://www.geocities.com/sars_55/gillespie/snarky.html". I tried further searching, but no dice. If I do end up finding the info (perhaps fav'ed on an old computer), I'll update. There wasn't much info available other than some pics of it by a trailer (not Wildman) and on a cradle taken by someone else at a launch from what I recall.

So given that this is now a "rocket myth" for now...Yes, I'd like to see an upscale Snarky build thread! :)

Maybe an upscale instead of the 2.2 I'll mess around with RS and see what happens

For you Snarky fans (yes, I'm one):
The "Rocket Reverend" Brad Wilson (pictured here - Tim Lehr on right - appeared on numerous Discovery channel shows like the three part "The Rocket Challenge" made an upscale 4" Snarky that did not fare so well in flight, I read that it arced over menacingly after it left the rod...I'm not sure if it flew better later.

I had built a 4 " upscale but chose not to fly it after reading about Brad's adventure...went o to other things, of which there are plenty.

image-biography-photo-080112114617352.jpg

After paint job.....
Snarky Upscale.jpg

Last edited:
But we gotta make it fly!

If you like the Snarky...go for it.
Looks great in any size.
Upscaling from the original kit is not very difficult.

I never did a build thread for this one but I can post a few things about what I was doing...
I built it for dual deployment, "blow the hatch" for a droque from redirected motor ejection (there was an elbow joint/ejection port isolating the forward section from the motor ejection) .........you can see the rear ward pointing ejection ports inside on the bulkhead...

Nose cone removes for conventional ejection with the main deployment with a GWiz unit.

The strap on JATO units...well, that was another story.

Snarky 3.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I found this old thread with Crazy Jim's report on Brad's flight :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
blackjack2564

4in version built and flown by "The Rocket Reverend" Brad Wilson.

He did not have good luck with it. It flew marginally stable the first time on a 38mm 3grain motor I think it was an I-161 or I 357
Delay was too long at 10 sec and barely deployed 25 ft above the ground. Flew in a large arc
I want to say it started with1/2 lb of NC weight and went up to 1-1/2.
It crashed at LDRS 28 - but will be rebuilt and flown again after lessons learned.
Wish I could give you more details about the build. It definitely was an attention getter!

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?6485-Upscale-Snarky

....or you could wait for the next one to wash up on the beach.

_86274511_drone.jpg

[video=youtube;-NLVwwqDlBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NLVwwqDlBQ[/video]

[video=youtube;tx-lDzCPqRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-lDzCPqRE[/video]

OK here's my RS file of a 4" Snarky using 1/4" balsa through out. I didn't include it in the file, but I plan on using hardwood strips on the leading and tips of each wing and stabilizers and airfoil the fins. This will at least provide more support. I also might opt to skin the fins with paper for additional strength.

View attachment DynaStar_Snarky 4 inch.RKT

Keeping the weight down means better performance and less nose weight.

You know I build this as my L2 cert. rocket. I know it's not DD, but it stays @ 2500' on a J500, which at that height is very visible.

I can do all my DD once I get L2.

So what do you think will it fly? Is there anything I'm overlooking??

Last edited:
Back