Another Bit of Bad News for LPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MALBAR 70

More Rockets Than Room
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Saturday morning at NSL, Jim Flis announced the closing of Fliskits model rocket company. The closing will take place sometime between the middle of September to sometime in December. Now is the time to grab that Fliskit model you have been eyeballing.

"All good things had to come to an end"...

Good luck, Jim!

[video=youtube;o02J4_rH488]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o02J4_rH488[/video]

That is too bad. I had wondered since there has been little update to his web site in some time and he’s not been here (or on YORF) for quite awhile - at least to post.

Did he say why?

Well shucks. I had always hoped to some day be good enough to try some of his far out fiddly designs. Safe journeys, space fan!

It is a bummer when such companies are shut down rather than sold off. It would be nice if such an important line of kits would be kept going (a la eRockets/Semroc, or even Estes). I wonder if Jim tried to sell it.

Of course, selling such a business is neither simple nor easy....

Did he say why?

I believe it is so he can spend more time with his family, mainly his grand kids. He also wants to focus on his career as an educator.

It is a bummer when such companies are shut down rather than sold off. It would be nice if such an important line of kits would be kept going (a la eRockets/Semroc, or even Estes). I wonder if Jim tried to sell it.

Of course, selling such a business is neither simple nor easy....

As I understand, there may be some negotiations in the near future.

Last night at our club's weekly meeting at eRockets Randy mentioned Jim Flis was closing up shop later this year. I don't think eRockets is in a position to purchase Fliskits outright. Maybe Randy and Jim can negotiate a licensing agreement for some of the kits, but it would probably be just the more popular ones, if any. There just isn't a lot of money in these businesses that one guy can buy out the other for the price that the seller usually wants. The margins are low and that makes the payback periods on buyouts too long to be justifiable in most cases.

And the volume is way to low for an Estes to buy it. I wouldn't be surprised if Estes needs to sell 10,000 of a kit annually for it to be profitable for them. You will never get that on a Fliskits design.

Last night at our club's weekly meeting at eRockets Randy mentioned Jim Flis was closing up shop later this year. I don't think eRockets is in a position to purchase Fliskits outright. Maybe Randy and Jim can negotiate a licensing agreement for some of the kits, but it would probably be just the more popular ones, if any. There just isn't a lot of money in these businesses that one guy can buy out the other for the price that the seller usually wants. The margins are low and that makes the payback periods on buyouts too long to be justifiable in most cases.

You are so right Zeus-cat.

Hi folks. Sad to say, ‘‘tis true

I hope to have an update on our web site in the next week or two, as well as on here. Stay tuned
:)

I have enjoyed doing business with you over the last couple of years. I'll miss your products and great service I can't complain about your motivation for closing up shop. All the best you you and your family Jim.

Just saw this. I'm shocked and saddened, though I wish Jim all the best.

I'm working on a K'Tinga (and have been, for a year), which now takes on new meaning. I've got too many kits as it is, otherwise I'd order a bunch of Fliskits and horde them.

(test edit performed 8/5/18)

Last edited:
Saturday morning at NSL, Jim Flis announced the closing of Fliskits model rocket company. The closing will take place sometime between the middle of September to sometime in December. Now is the time to grab that Fliskit model you have been eyeballing.

Ahhh d@*$n.........
Jim, you will be missed but enjoy those grand chillen.

Jim,

Thanks for all the great kits. Enjoy your retirement.

Jim,

Thank you for the great kits, wonderful customer service, and adding some much needed FUN to this hobby. Some of us (self included) take it way too seriously sometimes. Enjoy those grandkids. You've got your priorities straight.

Wow Jim:
I've been out of touch over the last 5 weeks with major health issues but man this is another kick in the belly. You & Fliskits have provided the best parts, kits and customer service in the entire model rocket industry.

Hope to get on the web site soon to add a couple more kits to my stash and some more Micro cones and stuff.
Hope you and the family have a great retirement and great outcome on whatever you decide to do:)

Rats!! man I love that little Saturn 1b of yours...what an awesome kit! Best of luck in your retirement and thank you for the wonderful times that your kits provided to us.

I hope we'll have a "Last Time Buy" date, to get those kits we just never got around to...

The outpouring of good wishes has been humbling. (As have the orders... man... lol). I hope to find the time to update the web site and make announcements (formal) on here, YORF and FB. Hopefully this weekend...

I hope we'll have a "Last Time Buy" date, to get those kits we just never got around to...

If you wait for a formal announcement you'll probably be disappointed. Look what happened when Wes O. (Dr. Zooch) announced he was closing up. Within days vendors were showing "Out of stock" on his kits. I think the run is on NOW.

IMG_1528564090.385207.jpg

Without Jim this never happens! From all of us at SCAM thank you for all the help and a great design. We wish you well in your retirement.

Back