Another Airborne Surveillance Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
I have just started my Estes Airborne Surveillance build and will keep you updated. I just finished and posted my vintage build of the rocket and will let you know if there were any changes other than the laser cut parts. I can use my new Estes manual to assist with construction.

DSC_0209 (1024x621).jpg

DSC_0221 (862x1024).jpg

Last edited:
Actually thanks to the laser cut parts she went together in a couple of hours. I am out of town right now for Thanksgiving with the in laws but when I get back I will seal the balsa and paint.

Painting has been on hold beacause of rain. I'm working today and hope to get her painted soon.

Finally have some good weather and the first set of Holidays are over so I was able to get my rocket painted. Once again I am taking the minimal approach to building. Building per the plans, 4 coats of balsa sealer and old formula Krylon with no primer. The only issue I see with the new release kit is the white BT-5 tube being thinner than my old Airborne Surveillance kit that came with the brown kraft tube. I do like the laser cut parts and the hard 1/16 balsa fills nice and easy to fill compared to the old soft Estes balsa. I will add the decals tomorrow and she will be done. The pictures are pretty bad because I am using an old point and shoot camera. The nice Cannon is in the shop and I will have it back Monday morning. Once I get the camera back I will post pictures of the completed build decals and all. Once again sorry about the poor pictures.

IMG_0120 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0121 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0123 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_0125 (1024x768).jpg

Thank you for kind comments, but it's not me it's the Aerogloss and Krylon paints. I added the decals today but will have to wait to get by camera back on Monday before posting pictures. Once again I cannot believe how much lighter my builds are without wood fillers and primer.

Here she is all done and ready for flight. Looks just like the old kit and weighs the same complete, .7oz. The decals are pretty thin and fragile so be careful when applying. The older vintage kit had better decals. You can see from the up close picture of the white stripe on the orange paint that a chip of the white ink came off when I was pressing the decal down with soft cloth. You can also see there is no grain showing and that is with using just Aerogloss balsa sealer and old Krylon paint with no primer. Sorry I tried to get a good picture of the black fins but they are showing up either blurry and glossy or clear but dull looking, don't know what I am doing wrong with my camera but I am sure it has to do with the lighting. You can also see the nose looks pretty smooth with 4 coats of balsa sealer and top coat glossy old Krylon white I did dent the bottom of the nose when I dropped it, oh well. Speaking of finishing I was reading the new Estes builders manual and they now mention using primer to seal and fill the balsa. I don't quite understand why they don't recommend balsa sealer since it does a much better job. Now don't get me wrong, I did the primer to fill thing and it does work but it takes more than two or three coats. The problem I have with it is that sanding all the primer off creates a mess and is time consuming to say the least. Balsa sealer is much faster and easier to sand than primer. Also I like Aergloss sealer but there is another water based sanding sealer made by Deluxe materials called Sand N Seal and it works pretty well without the odor. Now I don't fill my spirals ever and after painting you really don't notice unless you get up close and look. Any way that is just my 2 cents on finishing a rocket I like to keep everything simple yet have a decent looking rocket. The rocket on the right is the OOP kit and left is the new kit.

DSC_0209 (992x1024).jpg

DSC_0214 (1024x1003).jpg

DSC_0220 (1024x1013).jpg

DSC_0225 (1024x771).jpg

DSC_0218 (1024x850).jpg

Last edited:
Here she is all done and ready for flight. Looks just like the old kit and weighs the same complete, .7oz. The decals are pretty thin and fragile so be careful when applying. The older vintage kit had better decals. You can see from the up close picture of the white stripe on the orange paint that a chip of the white ink came off when I was pressing the decal down with soft cloth. You can also see there is no grain showing and that is with using just Aerogloss balsa sealer and old Krylon paint with no primer. Sorry I tried to get a good picture of the black fins but they are showing up either blurry and glossy or clear but dull looking, don't know what I am doing wrong with my camera but I am sure it has to do with the lighting. You can also see the nose looks pretty smooth with 4 coats of balsa sealer and top coat glossy old Krylon white I did dent the bottom of the nose when I dropped it, oh well. Speaking of finishing I was reading the new Estes builders manual and they now mention using primer to seal and fill the balsa. I don't quite understand why they don't recommend balsa sealer since it does a much better job. Now don't get me wrong, I did the primer to fill thing and it does work but it takes more than two or three coats. The problem I have with it is that sanding all the primer off creates a mess and is time consuming to say the least. Balsa sealer is much faster and easier to sand than primer. Also I like Aergloss sealer but there is another water based sanding sealer made by Deluxe materials called Sand N Seal and it works pretty well without the odor. Now I don't fill my spirals ever and after painting you really don't notice unless you get up close and look. Any way that is just my 2 cents on finishing a rocket I like to keep everything simple yet have a decent looking rocket. The rocket on the right is the OOP kit and left is the new kit.

Very nice SCIGS30. But you forgot the part about being a Master of the Mystic Arts of Model Rocket Finishing ! :wink: May I suggest a drag race between the new old and old old.

Now you know why I didn't post pictures of the awful paint job :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Speaking of finishing I was reading the new Estes builders manual and they now mention using primer to seal and fill the balsa. I don't quite understand why they don't recommend balsa sealer since it does a much better job. Now don't get me wrong, I did the primer to fill thing and it does work but it takes more than two or three coats. The problem I have with it is that sanding all the primer off creates a mess and is time consuming to say the least. Balsa sealer is much faster and easier to sand than primer.

I think because though there is a stock available, the AG is discontinued (it doesn't even show up in the catalog)... who knows... either way it doesn't seem to be available as it was.

fm

Last edited:
Back