Annual Christmas Tree Launch at MDRA ESL-188 Jan 18-19

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgreger

Reaction score
The MDRA Annual Christmas Tree Launch is scheduled for Jan 18-19 at Higgs Farm!
They only have 2 Rules:
1) Pointy End UP
2) Must be Decorated!
(Also make sure to have enough weight at the top to make it somewhat stable!)

(Also make sure to have enough weight at the top to make it somewhat stable!)

Does Utley know you guys are starting to apply unnecessary and burdensome rules to the event?

What's next? You can't bring AC power to the pad and hook up your lights (been there, done that)?

I want to see some cool videos:eek: be sure to share with everyone:):):):):):):):):):tree:

Don't know if it was this event or another but Robert from AMW/ProX tells a story of one that had a rule of a "K" impulse limit. One went up well on a K and recovered nicely. The motor was mounted at the top of the tree and left a hole through the branches after that flight. The tree was reloaded stepping the motor up notch but the flight went less well; up a bit, pitched over and went horizontal. Could have been that hole on one side could have been too much motor.
:tree:Being a Christmas Tree launch, the flyer should have known, "NO L, NO L". :happydeer:

I wasn't there so don't know what happened; Robert may have just been setting me up to deliver a great, seasonal pun.

Don't know if it was this event or another but Robert from AMW/ProX tells a story of one that had a rule of a "K" impulse limit. One went up well on a K and recovered nicely. The motor was mounted at the top of the tree and left a hole through the branches after that flight. The tree was reloaded stepping the motor up notch but the flight went less well; up a bit, pitched over and went horizontal. Could have been that hole on one side could have been too much motor.
:tree:Being a Christmas Tree launch, the flyer should have known, "NO L, NO L". :happydeer:

I wasn't there so don't know what happened; Robert may have just been setting me up to deliver a great, seasonal pun.

It definitely happened last year on Sunday-there wasn't much left of the tree afterwards either, so it probably had more to do with the size of the motor than the fact that it was flown twice.

Oh my god...
that is the WORST PUN I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!!

here's the saturday launch, Robert wins altitude and 'stuck' the landing as well... but I dont think he limited himself to a 'K'. if so, it sure took
that K awhile to light.... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03x68etIqf8

here's the only footage of sundays launch that i could find...with whats left of Roberts tree making a hard right for Ell Downes road after another
'delayed K' start...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv4nIXROgHE

Dave, I was able to "secure" a tree and will launch it on Saturday via the remnants of an old PML AMRAAM 4 with an Aerotech J-350W. Hope to see many others as I had the flu last year and had to hear complaints from my youngest for an entire year :facepalm:

We'll be there again this year.
Hopefully our tree, which we've dubbed "thats them Balsams", will make it thru preflight inspection !

I'm bringing the Partizon and the Iris, both of which have undergone major repairs since recent crashes. Also bringing the DX3 and Minie-Magg. My 38mm Onyx isn't finished yet. It might be windy again. I'm still waiting for a day with light wind to fly the DX3 on a I345. Glenn, we still need to do a Minie-Magg H400 drag race!

I plan to get there around 10 on Saturday.

Hoping to be there on Sunday with my Predator 10k. This'll be it's first flight; I'll pick a motor when I see how bad the wind is on Sunday.

Ill be there about 8 saturday, but I cant stay all day. We'll be back Sunday around 9. If our tree survives
on Saturday, we'll probably throw it skyward on Sunday as well. And yes, the Magg is already packed in the car.
Sunday morning is forecast to have the 'lightest(cough cough) winds of the weekend.

I hope AMW will be there because I just got a set of CTI 29mm hardware but I don't have any 29mm reloads.

This is the video I got from yesterday. Has anyone seen the aerial footage from the quadcopter?

[video=youtube;A9-U-adoyp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9-U-adoyp0[/video]
[video=youtube;eAmsMABYA7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmsMABYA7k[/video]

Last edited:
Kudos to MDRA for another great launch !

Also, I would like to thank the guys that helped push my son Manny and I out of the mud when leaving today. My 2005 Ford CVPI needs an upgrade to a positraction rear !

I learned that a J350W is too wimpy for a Christmas Tree and will use a K695R next year on the top of a "puller pole" like several flyers used today. Does anyone have video of my feeble attempt off of the C1 pad?

Kudos to MDRA for another great launch !

Does anyone have video of my feeble attempt off of the C1 pad?
Pete, There are flight videos from both days on the MDRA Facebook page. None of them are on any one tree specifically but fun to watch anyway!

Back