Annoying ads With sound

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
anyone else getting ads with sound(where the google ads usually display)? todays offering is an ad for (I think) some game, hard to be sure I am only seeing the 1st couple of seconds before it goes into endless buffering. the really annoying bit is that it starts at MAX volume. getting the same ad logged on/off.
Rex

modeltrains

Reaction score
Hmm, didn't know about Ublock.
Thanks to some neurological and sensory issues I have to use, and it is not negotiable, ad blockers, and script blockers too, or the web would be unusable for me.
For the same reason there is no TV set in my house.
And I don't go to movies.

There are some websites who aren't happy with people who use those, and therefore don't let them in to the site, but those companies are not living my life, only I am doing that.
I have written on paper explaining the situation to a few of those companies and a couple years later still have yet to hear back from even one.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
If anyone can get me information on that ad, so that I can zero in on it, I'll be able to change settings or block it. We don't like to have sound starting unless you click on it.

modeltrains

Reaction score
I don'y know anything technical really about IT stuff, though do remember a couple years back about ISPs overriding website ads with their own ads, any potential for this to be a case of that?
for example, a quick Google find just now, https://www.webmasterworld.com/google_adsense/3649194.htm
ISPs to insert their own ads into websites
8:10 pm on May 13, 2008
And
https://superuser.com/questions/108...ter-a-possible-dns-grab-and-redirect-via-port

This is not some DNS spoof. The ISP is actively altering web requests and injecting their own adware. If you look carefully at your snippet, the variable which stores a GET request has as part of that request a command to pipe part of a google javascript file through it's own code.

A quick look on the web for similar complaints points to the ISP picking some random (the first listed? all?) script tag on the returned page, and rewriting it to point to their own adware script which then pipes the original script through their servers. If I had to guess, I would say they are also probably doing this for their own profit as well (google ad revenue etc, not just by feeding you ads, but possibly rewriting any google analytics calls from the originating script to make it look like their content etc etc).

You should drop them, this is shady and they lie about it. You might also want to drop a line to google. They may or may not be are messing with their analytics but what they are doing is against google policy for ad partners.

I would be curious to see what an https request looks like...
answered Jun 10 '16 at 14:11

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
That's an interesting find. I'm going to poke around some and then ask head tech if that could be happening. In the meantime, anyone that can give me information on this ad starting with sound, please let me know.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
'True start battery' is the most recent ad. didn't see any video just the audio so the spelling might be off.
Rex

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Hmmmm. I sometimes hear the start and immediate stop of sound on a few of the ads that don't show. So, you're hearing the complete True Start Battery?

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
in about 2second sound bites. to be fair I have not heard it since.
Rex

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm on phone right now. Will do some digging later tonight or tomorrow when back on laptop. Thanks for capturing that.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
OK, cool, thanks Mikey.

(it did have a 'pointer' pointing at "Montreal")

(thought it might have been the above comment, that the ISP is taking over and directing ads based on user's location)

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I have sent this issue to the tech guy that sets up the ads and settings. It may be a bit before he gets back to me as he started a vacation yesterday.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
In reference to "targeted" ads, I just got one that is: "Visit Myrtle Beach, [fly] Direct from Plattsburg (NY)" I don't see how this particular ad would be generic..

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
You are aware that Google AdSense keys off cookies from sites you've visited during some time frame set up in their matrix? So, if you clear cookies after browsing, you won't see targeted ads as much, if you see them it would be random.

So, clearing cookies after a session on your computer, will clear the specifics that google uses to show you ads. You can also click on the small arrow in the upper right hand of an ad, and set the parameters of the types of ads you will see or not see.

Rex R

LV2
Reaction score
okay...so what happened to the ads from the rocketry vendors?
Rex
*edit*
now I am seeing two ads for youtube advertising, and one each Dr pepper dell computers. none for rockets.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
Yeah I have all kinds of weird stuff going on with ads here too. I started a thread on it but it hasn't received much attention. I have more video ads popping up, sometimes in al four ad places at once and it makes it impossible to navigate, let alone reply to a thread.
I understand why should are here, but this is a bit ridiculous.

Last edited:

Latest posts