ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the intended behavior when the "Edit" button is clicked while the "Use default" checkbox is selected? I tried to make it work manually, but was not successful (texture was not loaded after saving) and now I'm just wondering wether the "Edit" button should be grayed out in this state.
Hmm, on the Mac the edit button is disabled when there is no active image file used. I'll have to take a look at it on Windows, there's no reason for it to behave differently.

A feature I hope we can do for the next release is to have OR create an appropriately-sized blank image for the editor when there is no current image selected.

Edit: What is the intended behavior when the "Edit" button is clicked while the "Use default" checkbox is selected? I tried to make it work manually, but was not successful (texture was not loaded after saving) and now I'm just wondering wether the "Edit" button should be grayed out in this state.
It should be greyed out, yes.

You configured Windows to use a link (.lnk) file on your desktop as default image editor. The correct file is the executable (.exe). As far as I can tell, Windows 10 provides no graphical way to edit this, but the registry editor can be used.
Navigate to the key
Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command
and change its value to (including the quotes). This assumes you've installed paint.net in the default location
"%programfiles%\paint.net\paintdotnet.exe" "%1"

However, this leads to the next issue. Clicking the "Edit" button when no texture has been defined yet will create a temporary .png file for the texture. OR simply creates a completely empty file (0 Bytes in size) with a .png extension. This is not a valid file as far as paint.net is concerned. Microsoft Paint on the other hand will simply treat that as a new file but when it is saved that will result in a Windows Bitmap (.bmp) but with a .png extension.

So in a nutshell: OR can not handle .lnk files and OR will generate invalid temporary .png files with unpredictable results depending on the image editor.

Tested version 22.02.beta.05 with Windows 10 an mspaint and paint.net

Edit: What is the intended behavior when the "Edit" button is clicked while the "Use default" checkbox is selected? I tried to make it work manually, but was not successful (texture was not loaded after saving) and now I'm just wondering wether the "Edit" button should be grayed out in this state.

Reinhard
Actually, I want to use MS Paint... but I couldn't find it in a list.

I actually have zero experience with command line since 1995, and am actually kind of intimidated by it.

I should say that everything was working fine with Windows 10, and I only noticed this since I updated to Windows 11 Home

Last edited:
@K'Tesh it appears that Windows 11 does not correctly set MS Paint as the default graphics editor. To resolve your issue, do this:
  1. Find a .png, .jpg or any other image file that you want to edit
  2. Right-click on it in File Explorer, click "Open with", and then "Choose another application"
  3. Select Paint and click the "Always" button (this sets Paint as the default editor)
1674340610507.png

Try the edit function again in OpenRocket.

Windows 11 just doesn't set a default image editor. You can verify this by double-clicking on an image file. Windows will ask you in which program you want to open the file.

We're still debating within the team whether there's anything that we can do about it, or if this is a Windows-issue. We can try improving the warning message though.

@K'Tesh it appears that Windows 11 does not correctly set MS Paint as the default graphics editor. To resolve your issue, do this:
  1. Find a .png, .jpg or any other image file that you want to edit
  2. Right-click on it in File Explorer, click "Open with", and then "Choose another application"
  3. Select Paint and click the "Always" button (this sets Paint as the default editor)
View attachment 558611

Try the edit function again in OpenRocket.

Windows 11 just doesn't set a default image editor. You can verify this by double-clicking on an image file. Windows will ask you in which program you want to open the file.

We're still debating within the team whether there's anything that we can do about it, or if this is a Windows-issue. We can try improving the warning message though.
Changed .bmp to open with Paint... Here's the result :(

1674343971224.png

To set MS Paint as the default editor, use the file manager to do the following:

View attachment 558612
That worked!!! :)

The missing step was the last one (to change the Editor in OR to default)

1674344202396.png

Here's the actual goal I had in mind....

1674346344184.png

Thanks Everyone for the help!!!
Happy Year of the Rabbit!!!

Last edited:
To set MS Paint as the default editor, use the file manager to do the following:

View attachment 558612
Note that Windows differentiates between the default image editor ("Edit" in the context menu) and the default image viewer ("Open"). The latter can be easily changed per your instructions, but OpenRocket uses the former - at least on my computer.
I didn't find a place where Windows 10 exposes that setting to the users, so it requires editing the registry (see my previous post) or the use of some 3rd party software.

Reinhard

Last edited:
Hey I likely missed this but apparently, Plot/Export pertains to a single flight. Is it currently possible to export the flight simulations table as a CSV or spreadsheet? If not, that would be my next "RFE"! It'd be really useful to have such data on a single sheet of paper when filling out launch cards at the field!

Hey I likely missed this but apparently, Plot/Export pertains to a single flight. Is it currently possible to export the flight simulations table as a CSV or spreadsheet? If not, that would be my next "RFE"! It'd be really useful to have such data on a single sheet of paper when filling out launch cards at the field!
We have an open feature request for multi-sim plotting (link), but not yet for multi-sim exporting. I made a new request here.

Beat me to it. :)

I think an important detail here is that this is for an export of the results table, not the full sim data export that we normally provide. So this is not exactly "Export multiple sims", it's a brand new type of export. And it's a very good suggestion.

@DeltaVee correct me if I've interpreted your request incorrectly.

Beat me to it. :)

I think an important detail here is that this is for an export of the results table, not the full sim data export that we normally provide. So this is not exactly "Export multiple sims", it's a brand new type of export. And it's a very good suggestion.

@DeltaVee correct me if I've interpreted your request incorrectly.
Quite right, Neil! Your interpretation is exactly what I meant.

I think how you do a multi-export depends crucially on what you use to analyse it.

I use JMP for this kind of task, and JMP is very good at handling tall / label-value data sets. When I'm comparing sims, I export them one at a time, then sweep them into JMP with a column for the file/sim name. So time is one column. Altitude is one column, etc. To visualize, I graph alt v time and overlay by filename. Poof. JMP also has no problem with different series having different x-axis values.

Excel can do something similar, casting it through a pivot table. But most Excel users I know would want either a time-axis column pair for each sim, or a master time axis and an alt column for each sim.

Those are quite different output file structures.

I think how you do a multi-export depends crucially on what you use to analyse it.

I use JMP for this kind of task, and JMP is very good at handling tall / label-value data sets. When I'm comparing sims, I export them one at a time, then sweep them into JMP with a column for the file/sim name. So time is one column. Altitude is one column, etc. To visualize, I graph alt v time and overlay by filename. Poof. JMP also has no problem with different series having different x-axis values.

Excel can do something similar, casting it through a pivot table. But I find most Excel users I know would want either a time-axis column pair for each sim, or a master time axis and an alt column for each sim.

Those are quite different output file structures.
That's really a separate case from what's being discussed here, which is: a simple export of the results table to use as reference at the field, *not* a data set suitable for analysis.

In the meantime one could just take a screen snip of the results table and save it, although that's kind of cheesy.

That's really a separate case from what's being discussed here, which is: a simple export of the results table to use as reference at the field, *not* a data set suitable for analysis.

In the meantime one could just take a screen snip of the results table and save it, although that's kind of cheesy.
Who doesn't like cheese? But yes, I'd rather NOT do it that way.

Whoops - I also misread the ask.

Quite right, Neil! Your interpretation is exactly what I meant.
Would a simple CSV file be a suitable output format here?

We could make a PDF much prettier, but if you want to have the raw data more easily accessible than CSV would seem to work best.

(and sorry but this is probably going to have to wait for next release)

We could make a PDF much prettier, but if you want to have the raw data more easily accessible than CSV would seem to work best.
Just would like some means of printing out the table on a single sheet. A CSV is sufficient (I could use Google Sheets or some such nonsense (M$ broke my ancient office version on the last upgrade... nuff said). However, a pdf would be luxurious, and most appreciated!

A CSV would be preferable as you could then manipulate the data (searches and sorts) without having to open OR again, do the sort or search, and do another export.

CSV would be ideal, since everything can read it. PDFs are a mess to parse and convert.

CSV would be ideal, since everything can read it. PDFs are a mess to parse and convert.

I agree.

I would love to be able to save it in Excel and manually shuffle the order, highlight/color code rows, etc.

I tend to sim a bunch of motors to see what is matched best. I would like to have a quick way of organizing the runs into the few that are "best" for the rocket, as well as having the others recorded to remind me why they aren't as good, or maybe even bad. I could also add a comments column on the side for the voices in my head to discuss the results for later recollection.

It would probably also be a yuuuge benefit for a TARC team so they could preconfigure a ton of sims ahead of time and generate notes on each one for various conditions, launch weights, etc. Then at the big show, they could efficiently direct themselves to a good configuration and quickly verify it with one more specific sim before launching. Just thinking out loud here.

Last edited:
So... if you're just looking for a printout of the flight simulations for reference at the field - this is included in the Design Report part of a print/exported pdf. Agree that the export to CSV is still useful - but if its just for reference... you have the capability already.

edit: attaching a sample pdf to show

edit #2: maybe not the best example as I had a flight configuration selected. But if you select no motor configuration, then you'll see the empty weight of the rocket and the weight of each of the motors, plus the relevant information from the high level sim table for flight. It's formatted in a manner that leaves plenty of space for note taking, etc.

Attachments

• openrocket-7139381013775994920.pdf
    23.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So... if you're just looking for a printout of the flight simulations for reference at the field - this is included in the Design Report part of a print/exported pdf. Agree that the export to CSV is still useful - but if its just for reference... you have the capability already.

edit: attaching a sample pdf to show

edit #2: maybe not the best example as I had a flight configuration selected. But if you select no motor configuration, then you'll see the empty weight of the rocket and the weight of each of the motors, plus the relevant information from the high level sim table for flight. It's formatted in a manner that leaves plenty of space for note taking, etc.

I know this... there are too many pages for it to be useful in the field.

Back