ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same question for a new Mac using an M1 or M2 ("Apple silicon") processor. I don't have one of these, but after seeing how screamingly fast my wife's new M2 MacBook Air is, I may move replacing this 15 inch MacBook Pro up a bit in priority....

I will admit, however, that I haven't even started playing with OR 22.02 at all yet, so this question certainly doesn't need an answer in the near term. However, I did just download the Mac .dmg file for beta 5 and will play with it some in the next couple of days.

Thanks to all for huge amounts of work on this!!!
The Mac installer version works perfectly fine on Apple Silicon through Rosetta 2 (I’m running on an M1 myself, and I highly recommend one of these machines, in general).

Once we replace the existing 3D library with something newer, we’ll b able to distribute an ARM native version that will be much snappier. But that won’t be for this release.

The Mac installer version works perfectly fine on Apple Silicon through Rosetta 2 (I’m running on an M1 myself, and I highly recommend one of these machines, in general).

Once we replace the existing 3D library with something newer, we’ll b able to distribute an ARM native version that will be much snappier. But that won’t be for this release.
Does the photo studio work for you on your M1 Mac? On mine, trying to open it causes OR to freeze and become unresponsive (works in 15.03 though).

Does the photo studio work for you on your M1 Mac? On mine, trying to open it causes OR to freeze and become unresponsive (works in 15.03 though).
Hmm, Photo Studio works fine for me. You’re using the packaged version? Which Mac exactly?

(BTW Photo Studio in the new version has some nice improvements thanks to @SiboVG)

Little confused about the contribution vs backer thing... I would have selected backer but for the "fine print"

I was going to select a yearly contribution but the "same day each month" part confused me, and as much as I love OR, I can't afford to be contributing $600 per year ($50/month) towards it.

In case there's any confusion about this, the key wording is:
Otherwise the next charge will be on September 1, 2023 and then the first day of the same month each year.
In other words, Sept. 1 of each year. Clicking "Backer" really is for a yearly contribution, not monthly. :)

Hmm, Photo Studio works fine for me. You’re using the packaged version? Which Mac exactly?

(BTW Photo Studio in the new version has some nice improvements thanks to @SiboVG)
Yes the packaged version of beta 5. MacBook Pro M1 with macOS 12.6. IIRC this was a problem for me in beta 4 too. I've tried to open photo studio for a couple of my designs as well as some of the included examples and every time I get the spinning beachball and have to force quit OR.

Yes the packaged version of beta 5. MacBook Pro M1 with macOS 12.6. IIRC this was a problem for me in beta 4 too. I've tried to open photo studio for a couple of my designs as well as some of the included examples and every time I get the spinning beachball and have to force quit OR.
Not sure what the problem might be. Will look into it.

Does the 3D rocket view work for you?

Not sure what the problem might be. Will look into it.

Does the 3D rocket view work for you?
Yes the 3D views work well. (Other than the CG and CP markers don't properly move when spinning the model, but I think that is already a known issue?)

(Other than the CG and CP markers don't properly move when spinning the model, but I think that is already a known issue?)
Yes, known. This and other 3D issues won't be fixed until the whole 3D library is replaced. That'll be high-priority work for next release once this one is finalized (getting close I think).

@rocketgeek101 could you check if this is a memory-related issue by opening the "Activity Monitor" app (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor), scrolling to OpenRocket and see if there is a memory spike when you open Photo Studio (also take a look at the graph on the bottom, and the stats next to it)? Is the issue also worse when you have both the 3D view active, and Photo Studio open?

@rocketgeek101 could you check if this is a memory-related issue by opening the "Activity Monitor" app (Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor), scrolling to OpenRocket and see if there is a memory spike when you open Photo Studio (also take a look at the graph on the bottom, and the stats next to it)? Is the issue also worse when you have both the 3D view active, and Photo Studio open?
Doesn't appear to be. The memory used by OR does not change upon opening Photo Studio. When I open Photo Studio (regardless of if I have the 2D or 3D view active in the main window), I just get two blank windows and the whole program becomes unresponsive. This is also the case for an empty design file too.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 11.37.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 11.37.11 AM.png
    976.8 KB · Views: 0
Doesn't appear to be. The memory used by OR does not change upon opening Photo Studio. When I open Photo Studio (regardless of if I have the 2D or 3D view active in the main window), I just get two blank windows and the whole program becomes unresponsive. This is also the case for an empty design file too.
Hm... Could you do the following:
1. Open OpenRocket
2. Go to the applications ribbon to "Help > Debug Log" (or just shortcut Cmd+shift+D)
3. Move the debug log window to somewhere where the opening Photo Studio windows wouldn't overlap with the debug log window (tbh I'm not even sure if this is even feasible, since you can't scale down the PS window because everything just freezes)
4. Open PhotoStudio
5. Enjoy your crash
6. Take a screenshot of the debug log window

Hm... Could you do the following:
1. Open OpenRocket
2. Go to the applications ribbon to "Help > Debug Log" (or just shortcut Cmd+shift+D)
3. Move the debug log window to somewhere where the opening Photo Studio windows wouldn't overlap with the debug log window (tbh I'm not even sure if this is even feasible, since you can't scale down the PS window because everything just freezes)
4. Open PhotoStudio
5. Enjoy your crash
6. Take a screenshot of the debug log window

This is after opening photo studio. The last line (202) was there before I opened it. The debug log window becomes unresponsive along with the rest of the program.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 12.57.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-29 at 12.57.31 PM.png
    263.4 KB · Views: 0
This is after opening photo studio. The last line (202) was there before I opened it. The debug log window becomes unresponsive along with the rest of the program.
Thanks! I gotta be honest, I have no idea what the issue is... (also spiteful that PhotoStudio works fine on my M1 MacBook Pro, so I can't do any live debugging).

If you're wondering why OpenRocket 15.03 works, but the latest beta doesn't: 15.03 uses a version of the library that became obsolete shortly after OR 15.03 came out. The beta versions use the updated 3D engine library, which ironically causes a bunch more problems than its predecessor...

Not a bug, just a feature (seriously):

When several rocket files are open and File/Close Design is selected, the file "on top" is closed, the others remain open.

If only one file is open and File/Close Design is selected, it appears that the file AND the program both close.

No problem, just something to be aware of. To keep from having to re-open OR when you quit a design, just have two or more files open at the time.

It's a minor contrast to file saving on MS Office; when a Word/Excel file is closed, Word/Excel remains open, just as a blank slate so to speak.

Best,
Terry

Not a bug, just a feature (seriously):

When several rocket files are open and File/Close Design is selected, the file "on top" is closed, the others remain open.

If only one file is open and File/Close Design is selected, it appears that the file AND the program both close.

No problem, just something to be aware of. To keep from having to re-open OR when you quit a design, just have two or more files open at the time.

It's a minor contrast to file saving on MS Office; when a Word/Excel file is closed, Word/Excel remains open, just as a blank slate so to speak.

Best,
Terry
Which OS are you running? For macOS, we implemented the behavior that closing the last design does not quit OR, as this is often done in other macOS programs. However, for Windows and Linux, this behavior appeared less common, so we did not implement it for them.

Which OS are you running? For macOS, we implemented the behavior that closing the last design does not quit OR, as this is often done in other macOS programs. However, for Windows and Linux, this behavior appeared less common, so we did not implement it for them.
Windows 10 right now, Win 11 soon, just got the new computer today.

For me, it's a feature. Often I close a program when I'm done with it, so now I don't have to. If I do happen to want to keep it open I'll keep a file open.

I love Open Rocket.... and love the 22.02 Beta 5. :goodjob:

Just wish the 3D Finished view wasn't so tiny and could be scaled up to fill the available screen area.

2020-09-30 Open Rocket Simulation Warhawk BT-300.jpg

I love Open Rocket.... and love the 22.02 Beta 5. :goodjob:

Just wish the 3D Finished view wasn't so tiny and could be scaled up to fill the available screen area.

View attachment 539767
That is a reasonable feature request, although don't expect any new 3D-related features until the whole subsystem is overhauled.

In the meantime, consider keeping a Photo Studio window open while you work. I know it's not the same thing, but now that the Photo Studio is so much more convenient to use in the recent betas it may be worth a try:
  1. The settings are remembered for each rocket so you don't have to redo them every time you open Photo Studio
  2. Sliders on the controls make it *much* easier to adjust the view to your liking
  3. In general it is much more reliable at showing design changes in real-time.

That is a reasonable feature request, although don't expect any new 3D-related features until the whole subsystem is overhauled.

In the meantime, consider keeping a Photo Studio window open while you work. I know it's not the same thing, but now that the Photo Studio is so much more convenient to use in the recent betas it may be worth a try:
  1. The settings are remembered for each rocket so you don't have to redo them every time you open Photo Studio
  2. Sliders on the controls make it *much* easier to adjust the view to your liking
Thanks Neil.

Only reason I mentioned it was the previous beta version I was running, did have a full screen use of the 3D finished view. see below for a comparison.

As my eye doctor would say...

Better like this...

...........................................................................................................................................or better like this​

2020-09-23 Open Rocket Simulation Warhawk BT-300.jpg2020-09-30 Open Rocket Simulation Warhawk BT-300.jpg

Just looking at Beta 5 now. It looks great. I love the updated look and feel.

Has the Mac bug about opening a new file after initial startup with a blank file and then the blank OR file won't close been reported? It was also an issue in Beta 4, but I didn't take the time to report it then.

I tried the Photo Studio option you suggested. Photo Studio won't work... bugs.

1664558832156.png

How, Ke-mo sah-bee?
Say tuned -- right now we're focused on trying to finish up the current release, which I hope will be soon (I have hopes beta 5 will be the last beta, but we'll see).
Then we'll need to set our goals for the next release, which hopefully will take less than seven years. Personally, I regard moving to a 3D engine that (a) runs on Arm and (b) isn't moribund to be priority 1.
Though if you'd like to grab one of the outstanding issues and fix it that'll move us closer to our goals!

Say tuned -- right now we're focused on trying to finish up the current release, which I hope will be soon (I have hopes beta 5 will be the last beta, but we'll see).
Then we'll need to set our goals for the next release, which hopefully will take less than seven years. Personally, I regard moving to a 3D engine that (a) runs on Arm and (b) isn't moribund to be priority 1.
Though if you'd like to grab one of the outstanding issues and fix it that'll move us closer to our goals!
Last time I did any programming was in the 1980's... A man needs to know his limitations.

Very much loving all the OR releases this year - awesome work everyone!

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question and my sincere apologies if this question was asked/answered before, but is there a way to batch process motor configs/sims?

Here is the workflow - I want to go to Thrustcurve and generate a list of feasible motors for a rocket, edit that list down to a bunch of motors I want to sim, then run all those motors through an OR sim with a given deployment config.

For example, if I run my Wildman Ultimate (6" diameter) rocket through Thrustcurve, it spits out about 170 AT, CTI and Loki motors that are safe to use. Of those, about 100 are ones I might realistically use. I want to run all 100 through my OR sim, then export the results to a spreadsheet. Running them one at a time is slow, is there a way to batch the process?

If this is the wrong thread to ask this question, please let me know and I will shift to another thread / create a new one, thanks

The first few posts in this thread are now up-to-date with the latest and greatest info regarding Beta 5.

I wanted to repeat, in case gets lost in the shuffle, that the OpenRocket project is now accepting donations to fund our ongoing operations. For more details see https://openrocket.info/donate.html. Of course, donations are entirely voluntary, and OpenRocket remains free to use for everyone.

I am very happy to contribute, great work being done here - can we get an idea of what the expenses are and how the money will be used? Thanks!

Back