ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To womever it is that writes OpenRocket. (I am assuming its neil_w, but dont really know)

I just want to say Thanks for all your hard work.
Its a great program and I use it to build and sim everything. (Have it running on a Linux box as well as a Windows box)
It’s a team effort, and over the years a pretty good number of folks have contributed. If you look at the About box you can see the full list.

Is there a way to turn off the CG/CP markings, or prevent them from displaying on the rocket?

The short answer is no, although you can attempt it in PhotoStudio.

CG_CP_Markings.png
But, as you can see, there is a huge difference between a "flat" view and one that has a "field of view" (like a camera). I have created a new feature request for this option: CG-CP On/Off Option (1168).

A lot of awesome new features.. but ... yikes ... I feel like Eddie Vedder..

Pearl Jam - Bugs (lyrics) - YouTube

I pulled up an existing design that uses an F42T-4 Motor. An error message occured that the F42T wasn't recognized. When I went to select a new motor another error message occurred. That error message wouldn't go away and in the end I had to use Task Manager to shut down the program.

No worries... I reported it via email.

OR 22.02 F42T Motor Bug.jpg

Last edited:
Ok... Got a little time to play with this... When I'm in the 3D Finished View, I can't doubleclick on a part and open up its edit window. However, it does appear that I can do that in side view.

How do I make clear parts? Currently I have to copy/paste from an existing model with a clear part, and rescale as necessary.

Last edited:
Ok... Got a little time to play with this... When I'm in the 3D Finished View, I can't doubleclick on a part and open up it's edit window. However, it does appear that I can do that in side view.
Known issue.

How do I make clear parts? Currently I have to copy/paste from an existing model with a clear part, and rescale as necessary.
In the color picker, go to one of the numeric pickers (RGB, HSL, etc.) and adjust the alpha channel there. There's a feature request in to add an opacity slider to the main appearance panel, which would be a whole heck of a lot easier.

Release Notes

OpenRocket 22.02.beta.01

Rocket Appearance

• Support rendering of transparent or translucent components
  • Separate inside and outside color for tube components
  • Separate left and right appearance for fin components

...plus many, many additional bug fixes and refinements
Oh boy... You know what this means... I've got to go and redo all my sims that have different appearances on the fins (no more "Air Fins" for this reason)... How am I going to find the time needed to do NEW sims??? :oops: ACK!!! ;)

Well a word of caution is in order here. Unfortunately I could not pin down the use case as to how I managed to get the newer OR into this state but here is what occurred:

Opened an OR 15.03 file... Estes Leviathan from RocketReviews.
At one point I had apparently accidentally added a motor config but no motor.
I had a sim in place that repeated the motor from sim 1 (actually a nice touch since OR 15 would put in an empty sim for that which it just would not run).
At some point, and like I said I don't know how I did this, that last sim when run, filled in with all "N/A"s. So I removed it.
Then the other entries (there were three or four) started doing the same thing.
I removed all sims, and removed all motor configs, but no matter what I did any new entry would sim out with all "N/A"s in the field. The plot sheet was devoid of information.

Keep an eye out for this I'd say and try to be mindful of steps you used to get it into this configuration. I had copied all the sim files to a different directory for OR 22, but had accidentally opened the original (which is the one I trashed!). I was able to open the OR 22 form of the file in OR 15 and recover fine (after all the warnings etc.).

Back up early and often!

Well a word of caution is in order here. Unfortunately I could not pin down the use case as to how I managed to get the newer OR into this state but here is what occurred:

Opened an OR 15.03 file... Estes Leviathan from RocketReviews.
At one point I had apparently accidentally added a motor config but no motor.
I had a sim in place that repeated the motor from sim 1 (actually a nice touch since OR 15 would put in an empty sim for that which it just would not run).
At some point, and like I said I don't know how I did this, that last sim when run, filled in with all "N/A"s. So I removed it.
Then the other entries (there were three or four) started doing the same thing.
I removed all sims, and removed all motor configs, but no matter what I did any new entry would sim out with all "N/A"s in the field. The plot sheet was devoid of information.

Keep an eye out for this I'd say and try to be mindful of steps you used to get it into this configuration. I had copied all the sim files to a different directory for OR 22, but had accidentally opened the original (which is the one I trashed!). I was able to open the OR 22 form of the file in OR 15 and recover fine (after all the warnings etc.).

Back up early and often!
Hmm, maybe related to what @manixFan is experiencing. Will keep an eye on this.

I just played around with the new version of OR and I like it. One of the things I noticed though is that there is no choice for Kevlar in the shock cord database.

As bugs get worked out will there be updated releases? Will we be notified on this thread?

To all of you who worked on this updated I express my thanks. :)

I just played around with the new version of OR and I like it. One of the things I noticed though is that there is no choice for Kevlar in the shock cord database.
Noted. There are other materials I'd like to see there as well.

As bugs get worked out will there be updated releases? Will we be notified on this thread?
Yes and yes. Exact method of notification TBD. :)
To all of you who worked on this updated I express my thanks. :)
:cheers:

Hmm, maybe related to what @manixFan is experiencing. Will keep an eye on this.
My main computer is a MacBook Pro, but I also have an iMac that I use. I installed the beta version on that, and unfortunately it also has the inability to create a new configuration without having to add it a second time. The second configuration does work as expected, and all of the buttons are available, unlike on my MacBook Pro. Both are running the latest OS - 12.2.1 and use Intel processors.

BTW, I figured out the prefs file location and deleted it, and unfortunately it did not change the behavior.

Tony

Was there ever a default location for .ork files in 15.03? Is there one for 22.02.01?
Could someone give me the file path for the folder(s) if they exist?

Was there ever a default location for .ork files in 15.03? Is there one for 22.02.01?
Could someone give me the file path for the folder(s) if they exist?
For me, once I started opening them in a particular place, it always started there until I opened one someplace else. I think it just defaults to the last place it had opened or saved an ork file. OR 22 file chooser started where my 15.03 copy was using.

Are you trying to locate old ORK files? If so, search is probably your best bet.
Yes. I've searched my C drive. They're gone. I have backups.
I'm not saying this is a beta issue. I haven't used OR in a week and other people have used my laptop.

I've been sloppy with file management. Not anymore.

Here is one more....
I re-loaded the leviathan ork file... added an AT F35 to the config... when i switched to the simulate sheet, the added entry had a different motor entry.

Also I miss the propellant letter designations in the AT motor catalog... eg. G80NBT or G80T etc.

Here is one more....
I re-loaded the leviathan ork file... added an AT F35 to the config... when i switched to the simulate sheet, the added entry had a different motor entry.
I believe that one is covered in an existing issue. There seems to be a whole host of problems related to motor selection and simulation (and the connection between them), which is annoying because I saw none of them during testing. Oh well, we'll get it sorted out.

Also I miss the propellant letter designations in the AT motor catalog... eg. G80NBT or G80T etc.
I will ask about this.

I believe that one is covered in an existing issue. There seems to be a whole host of problems related to motor selection and simulation (and the connection between them), which is annoying because I saw none of them during testing. Oh well, we'll get it sorted out.

I will ask about this.
I guess the list is getting long enough now that I'll have to check prior to reporting! Bugzilla you say?

Back