ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Rocket Design Capabilities
  • Added Dave Cook's rocket component library

What does this mean? Are these additions to the database of nosecones, rings, etc, or something else?

• Many improvements to freeform fin editor, including
    • Highlight coordinates of selected point
    • Export fin profile to CSV file

😍😍😍

What does this mean? Are these additions to the database of nosecones, rings, etc, or something else?
Nose cones, body tubes, transitions, etc. Dave's database is much more comprehensive and up-to-date than the one that was built into OR previously. There are still some gaps to be filled but this is a huge step forward I would say. It has always been possible to install Dave's database into one's own copy of OR, but building it in should get it into the hands of a *lot* more people.

I can get the beta to run, open files, and create new designs. But the buttons on the 'Flight Simulations' page are grayed out and I can't click any of them. I can get it to run simulations by setting preferences to 'Run out of date simulations when you open the simulations tab', but that's it. It also does not always correctly update the simulations when I add a new motor, it sometimes just leaves it as 'no motors' with no data.

It also does not fill in the base level simulation data in the lower left of the graphic view window.

MacOS 12.2.1 on a pretty decent laptop, can post more details if needed.

Tony

You can see the buttons are unavailable, and Simulation 7 should be an L-935, but it shows up as empty:
no-buttons.png

I can get the beta to run, open files, and create new designs. But the buttons on the 'Flight Simulations' page are grayed out and I can't click any of them. I can get it to run simulations by setting preferences to 'Run out of date simulations when you open the simulations tab', but that's it. It also does not always correctly update the simulations when I add a new motor, it sometimes just leaves it as 'no motors' with no data.
Hmm, that is odd. Can you post the OR file?

If you select all the simulations does it still not highlight the "Run Simulations" button (and the others)?

It also does not fill in the base level simulation data in the lower left of the graphic view window.
It will now show the sim results (updated in real time) of the currently selected motor.

Last edited:
Hmm, that is odd. Can you post the OR file?

If you select all the simulations does it still not highlight the "Run Simulations" button (and the others)?

It will now show the sim results (updated in real time) of the currently selected motor.
It's not limited to any specific OR file, even a new one made from scratch won't allow me to run simulations. The screenshot below illustrates the issues pretty well.

When I add a new configuration and motor, it sometimes shows up as a duplicate entry using a previous motor. I switched to another account on the same computer and used the simple example rocket, and got the same results.

Tony

even will several of the simulations selected, none of the buttons become available. You can see Simulation 7 says 'No motors', but you in the Motors & Configuration window it is actually an L-935, and the simulation info in the lower left is blank:beta-2.png

Last edited:
rharshberger:
"Downloaded, it runs. Windows doesn't like something and recommend against installing....just click on More Info in the splash screen and click Run Anyways."

Had the same problem. It's caused by Windows defender. Like you said , keep reading "more" until it allows you can choose to download it.

Last edited:
Currently Beta is hanging up after OR splash screen "Error upon thrust curve import" (no other info as the window is white and wont close without task manager. The first time I started OR 22.02 it started and the same window popped up saying it was a CTI thrust curve it was having issues with.

It's not limited to any specific OR file, even a new one made from scratch won't allow me to run simulations. The screenshot below illustrates the issues pretty well.

When I add a new configuration and motor, it sometimes shows up as a duplicate entry using a previous motor. I switched to another account on the same computer and used the simple example rocket, and got the same results.

Tony

even will several of the simulations selected, none of the buttons become available. You can see Simulation 7 says 'No motors', but you in the Motors & Configuration window it is actually an L-935, and the simulation info in the lower left is blank:View attachment 506523
Hmmmmmmmm. Will report and get an investigation going here.

Currently Beta is hanging up after OR splash screen "Error upon thrust curve import" (no other info as the window is white and wont close without task manager. The first time I started OR 22.02 it started and the same window popped up saying it was a CTI thrust curve it was having issues with.
Is that a motor file you've added to OR?

I went looking for the prefs file to delete and see if that helped, but I can't figure out where it is - it doesn't seem to be in Prefs, Application Support, or Documents, and a web search came up empty. So I decided to run the older version of OpenRocket, and no joy there either! I am getting the same behavior with both versions - neither will allow me to click any of the simulation screen buttons.

So once I know where the prefs are, I'll delete those and see if that makes a difference.

Tony

I went looking for the prefs file to delete and see if that helped, but I can't figure out where it is - it doesn't seem to be in Prefs, Application Support, or Documents, and a web search came up empty. So I decided to run the older version of OpenRocket, and no joy there either! I am getting the same behavior with both versions - neither will allow me to click any of the simulation screen buttons.

So once I know where the prefs are, I'll delete those and see if that makes a difference.

Tony
What happens if you use "new simulation" and choose a motor from the ones you configured on the "motors and conf." Sheet?

Is that a motor file you've added to OR?
Okay, so I did a fresh install of OR 22.02, then went to Preferences and reset the motor file location that I had the updated .eng files in (from shortly after Mark K passed version) and that seems to have resolved the Import Thrust Curve issue.

To womever it is that writes OpenRocket. (I am assuming its neil_w, but dont really know)

I just want to say Thanks for all your hard work.
Its a great program and I use it to build and sim everything. (Have it running on a Linux box as well as a Windows box)

I wonder if this could be the same issue I saw reported on FB, which I transcribed as https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/issues/1163
Does it sound familiar?

Well, I ported it all over to my gradle build... and finally got it to launch! All tests for core and swing run cleanly. This is running on openjdk 11.0.12 2021-07-20. Seemed to also, at least start up, under openjdk version "16.0.1" 2021-04-20

btw, "thurstcurve" is still spelled wrong :)

Well, I ported it all over to my gradle build... and finally got it to launch! All tests for core and swing run cleanly. This is running on openjdk 11.0.12 2021-07-20. Seemed to also, at least start up, under openjdk version "16.0.1" 2021-04-20

btw, "thurstcurve" is still spelled wrong :)
Take it up with OR devs

What happens if you use "new simulation" and choose a motor from the ones you configured on the "motors and conf." Sheet?
That does seem to work, in that the correct motor is listed in the new simulation. But all of the buttons are unavailable, so I can't delete the old ones, or manually run or plot any of them.

I wonder if this could be the same issue I saw reported on FB, which I transcribed as https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/issues/1163
Does it sound familiar?
Yes, this is very similar to my issue, the new Configuration uses the prior motor. With the addition of the buttons not working.

Tony

Last edited:
K’Tesh… Try this:
  1. Go to Edit>Preferences>Graphics; then check "Use Off=screen Rendering"
  2. Close and Restart OpenRocket
Please let me know if that was the problem.
Beauty Eh!!! It worked!!!

1645873114402.png

Now is there a way to turn off the CG/CP markings, or prevent them from displaying on the rocket?

Back