ANNOUNCEMENT: The OpenRocket 22.02 Beta Period is now finished

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm unable to change packed length of a streamer, and attempting to do so changes the strip width to either 1mm wider or 1mm narrower than the unchangeable packed length. This is easy to see with the tube fin example which for some reason has a strip width of 50mm and a packed length of 25mm. Trying to change the packed length results in a strip width of either 24mm or 26mm, but a packed length of 25mm. Strip width can be manually changed larger or smaller, but packed length can never be changed from 25mm.

I'm building from source rather than using the beta, but from testing earlier builds I've archived, I can see I have this problem going back as early as 2022-05-02 15:12 UTC.

Is this a known bug? If not, I can open a new issue for it.

Thanks. I opened #1397.
@SiboVG already fixed this. That was fast! Kudos once again to Sibo and the whole development team.

As I recall, strip width and packed length were joined at the hip in 15.03. I like that the new version allows the two to differ, as I've sometimes seen people fold a short but wide streamer down its middle before loading.

MINI POLL: does anyone use the "Show All Compatible" option in the Preset Selection dialogs? E.g.:
1654276206024.png

Possible answers:

1) Yes, I do! (if so please elaborate)
2) No, never found the need
3) Can't figure out what it does
4) Purple

4 and...

Trying to render in 3D and get the following error:

View attachment 521593
Yes, it's a known issue. We shipped beta 03 with Java version 17 instead of Java version 11 to see which bug reports would come up and this bug was reported by a few people already. The next beta will be reverted back to Java 11 to "fix" the issue. The issue is related to the JOGL library itself, so not much we can do (we tried compiling the source code ourselves, but got a flood of build errors because the library uses such ancient code and setups that are not compatible anymore with our current setup).

Yes, it's a known issue. We shipped beta 03 with Java version 17 instead of Java version 11 to see which bug reports would come up and this bug was reported by a few people already. The next beta will be reverted back to Java 11 to "fix" the issue. The issue is related to the JOGL library itself, so not much we can do (we tried compiling the source code ourselves, but got a flood of build errors because the library uses such ancient code and setups that are not compatible anymore with our current setup).
Yes, there is a lot of out of date in OT as far as UI goes. Jogl is one and there isn't much of a replacement out there. Without bringing in a different 3d engine. Only one I know of in Java is jmonkey. I'd looked at using JavaScript, but few options for embedding browser window in Java (found this https://github.com/chromiumembedded/java-cef). Not sure the future on javafx is either, doesn't help so much with 3d, but as a newer replacement for swing.

Yes, there is a lot of out of date in OT as far as UI goes. Jogl is one and there isn't much of a replacement out there. Without bringing in a different 3d engine. Only one I know of in Java is jmonkey. I'd looked at using JavaScript, but few options for embedding browser window in Java (found this https://github.com/chromiumembedded/java-cef). Not sure the future on javafx is either, doesn't help so much with 3d, but as a newer replacement for swing.
The current 3D engine I'm tinkering with is LWJGL, which looks promising. I've also tested jMonkeyEngine, but it's more a game engine for importing 3D models, not generating new 3D models with code, which LWJGL can easily do.

MINI POLL: does anyone use the "Show All Compatible" option in the Preset Selection dialogs? E.g.:

Possible answers:

1) Yes, I do! (if so please elaborate)
2) No, never found the need
3) Can't figure out what it does
4) Purple
3 - tried it for nose cones before, but many of the supposedly compatible parts didn't look so compatible to me.

Good question. I expected it to filter for nose cones that had a similar OD to the body tube and - ideally - a shoulder diameter compatible with the tube. Instead, it seems to do little if nothing in that regard. I've not tried the inverse or any other case, since I generally start with a tube and go from there.

What is the feature supposed to do? (I just grepped through the codebase with my usual lack of success in figuring out what goes where or why.)

Good question. I expected it to filter for nose cones that had a similar OD to the body tube and - ideally - a shoulder diameter compatible with the tube. Instead, it seems to do little if nothing in that regard. I've not tried the inverse or any other case, since I generally start with a tube and go from there.

What is the feature supposed to do? (I just grepped through the codebase with my usual lack of success in figuring out what goes where or why.)
What you want is "Match Aft Diameter", which will show up only if you have a component after the nose cone in the tree.

As for the "Show All Compatible" option... I'll attempt to explain it after I give a bit more time for others to chime in. Suffice to say that it is a bit odd, and some of us are not convinced that it's actually useful to anyone, so we're thinking of removing it altogether.

What you want is "Match Aft Diameter", which will show up only if you have a component after the nose cone in the tree.

As for the "Show All Compatible" option... I'll attempt to explain it after I give a bit more time for others to chime in. Suffice to say that it is a bit odd, and some of us are not convinced that it's actually useful to anyone, so we're thinking of removing it altogether.
Familiar with "match aft diameter," so I wasn't really sure what "show all compatible" was for or was supposed to work. :)

The current 3D engine I'm tinkering with is LWJGL, which looks promising. I've also tested jMonkeyEngine, but it's more a game engine for importing 3D models, not generating new 3D models with code, which LWJGL can easily do.
Yes, jmonkey is.
I have no idea why I forgot about lwjgl, good catch.

Latest posts

Back