Anniversary of Glenn's first flight (was: Godspeed, John Glenn)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
47 years ago today...

It was a year after that launch that I first discovered model rocketry....

Where does the time go!?

I know what you are talking about. When I was a kid my dad told me when you get older time fly's and as a kid I thought "yah right". Now I think "yah he was right. I wonder how fast time go's for him now sence he is 80.
Mr. Bob

Whew... I saw your thread title and my heart dropped - I thought maybe Glenn had passed away this morning and I hadn't heard about it yet. Thankfully not. :eek:

Me too!

Glad he's still OK.

Glenn and Carpenter are the only ones left.

Good reminder, Jim!

But, sorry, I just had to change that subject line. The HR person at work would always just put the person's name on the email broadcast when somebody in their family passed away. I never did manage to retrain her. She retired last year and while we'll miss her, I won't miss her habit of spiking my blood pressure with those email subjects! :)

Best wishes,
Will

Good reminder, Jim!

But, sorry, I just had to change that subject line. The HR person at work would always just put the person's name on the email broadcast when somebody in their family passed away. I never did manage to retrain her. She retired last year and while we'll miss her, I won't miss her habit of spiking my blood pressure with those email subjects! :)

Best wishes,
Will

Yea, when I read that this morning his passing was the first thing that came to mind...I was relieved to read it.

WHOOPS! Sorry about the confusion :) Certainly not intended!

I wonder what John Glenn is doing to commemorate the date?

Boy, talk about memory lane. I remember watching the whole flight unfold on TV!
Our school put TV's in each room so everyone could watch. Back then every program was exempted all day, so the entire pre-flight to splash down could be watched.

The principal made an announcement over the PA, stating we should all pay attention to what was happening...we were watching history in the making. Boy was she right.

I was fortunate enough to see every flight from Shepard to landing on the moon, due to this foresight.

One of the few perks due to attending Catholic scholl.

Back