Quantcast

Andrew New Comm-Spec...Specs.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Not like the old 50mW AT-2B so take care of the old one's boys if you got'em. Tain't coming back. The smaller one's would be appreciated for the smaller projects though. Kurt

Brent

Reaction score
I have had one 30 Milliwatt for around a year. Don't like it as well as my old AT-2B may it rest in peace.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I bought one from Wildman last year at LDRS. I've had to replace the antenna twice, those tiny nuts and lock washers are a real pain. Took me a while to figure out how to attach them and store them without damaging the antenna. Com-Spec did send me replacement parts for free though.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
I bought one from Wildman last year at LDRS. I've had to replace the antenna twice, those tiny nuts and lock washers are a real pain. Took me a while to figure out how to attach them and store them without damaging the antenna. Com-Spec did send me replacement parts for free though.

Wayne,

Are talking about the com spec transmitter that is damaged?

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that long antenna CJ mentioned is replaceable, and easy to get tangled up in your recovery if you tape it to the shock cord. I always tape my AT-2B's to the shock cord, but this new button transmitter is smaller and harder to secure.

ColumbiaNX01

Reaction score
Yes, that long antenna CJ mentioned is replaceable, and easy to get tangled up in your recovery if you tape it to the shock cord. I always tape my AT-2B's to the shock cord, but this new button transmitter is smaller and harder to secure.

aw. I am looking at the Marshall scout transmitter they antenna is only 7 inches long and they can program it to match your receiver.

Woody's Workshop

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So...what is needed to receive the signal?
This would fit in almost all of my models.
Especially the ones too small for the JLCR.
But I have no education on these things.

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to make sure you can "hear" the signal, you should buy the proprietary receiver that goes with the manufacturers device. They tweak the signal modulation so it is most efficient with their
respective receivers. That said, I've experimented locally with a Kenwood TH-F6A and can "hear" these devices using SSB or CW on the B band but have not done a formal range test. That's the kicker.
Using the F6A might not have the range that a stock receiver might have. Arrow antennas has a handheld Yagi that could improve the reception on the Com-Spec bands if you can connect it to the
receiver: https://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii/216-7ii.html
I have an old AT-2B I got on the 1.25M ham band and Com-Spec programmed it with my callsign so perfectly legal. Wished they hadn't taken this version out of production as it didn't violate the FCC rules as the ones made for the Wildlife/Rocket portion of the spectrum. Kurt

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
aw. I am looking at the Marshall scout transmitter they antenna is only 7 inches long and they can program it to match your receiver.
You should also look at the L.L. Electronics transmitters:
https://www.radiotracking.com/transmitters-2/

We have a couple of those, the LF2 2G Special and the XLF 6volt. The 2G is tiny, the antenna is more like a string, and only 9" long. The XLF has more transmit power, battery will last 5 days, and the antenna is 6.5" long. They will also set the freq. to your Com-Spec receiver.

`

The receiver is the big expense, and when Comm-Spec quit making the AT-2B we looked at the Marshal system and found the LL Electronics. I like the LL transmitter choices better, and picked up a couple of them. Then they talked me into their MNS-4000 receiver:
https://www.radiotracking.com/receivers/mns-4000

I learned on the Comm-Spec R-300A receiver, and despite the improved sensitivity of the LL Electronics receiver, Sharon and I both prefer the R-300A:
https://www.com-spec.com/rcplane/r_300.html

It's easier to use and more durable. Also less expensive.

mikec

Reaction score
Antennas fairly long though.
Why is the antenna so much longer? Is it because they got rid of the base loading of the old one? Is it a quarter-wave length or a half-wave?
A 1/4 wave at 219 MHz is about 13.5 inches.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The "button" transmitter's antenna is 20" long, and it still doesn't work as well as the old AT-2B, with an antenna 10" long. There is no room for a coil on the button TX.

ColumbiaNX01

Reaction score
I got the Comm Spec PR-100A and a Marshall Scout VHF Transmitter on 218.100 frequency ordered today.

Last edited:

Latest posts