Anderson Metal Industries Inc., "roadside model"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tractionengines

Jack of all trades, Master of... (oh never mind)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know what model sounding rocket this is. Driving thru Franklin, PA my son saw it so we stopped and looked for a few minutes. (It was raining hard so just a quick look and snapped a few photos.)
20221127_092554.jpg20221127_092602.jpg20221127_092606.jpg20221127_092718.jpg

They have a web page, but don't give any publicly available details.
https://andermet.com/
I like the paint pattern.

Anyone know what model sounding rocket this is. Driving thru Franklin, PA my son saw it so we stopped and looked for a few minutes. (It was raining hard so just a quick look and snapped a few photos.)
View attachment 548177View attachment 548178View attachment 548180View attachment 548181

Contact them from their website and ask about it

Some sleuthing around has not turned anything. Honestly the proportions are wrong for most rockets - the upper stage is too short, and the booster is also a bit off looking (looks like a Terrier motor but again, a bit too short). Their website shows they make hardware for sounding rockets, so my guess is that it's a 'made up' rocket using parts they had on hand.

If you do hear anything about it, let us know.

Tony

About the only parts that look right are the fins, those could be actual Standard Nike Fins of which there are like 4 standard size ( somewhere I have a pdf about those fins with pics). The fins easily could have been from a government excess lot.

Edit: found the pdf...

Attachments

• nikefins.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Some data for comparison . . .

TERRIER Booster

TERRIER-BOOSTER.jpgscale-000580-000575-Fin_page1.jpgscale-000581-000575-Fin_page2.jpg

Judging from both the display and their website, I'm going to guess that the fins, nose, boattail and transition are samples of their work for real sounding rockets, but that the motors are just placeholders to attach the samples to.

Seeing as how I grew up just around the corner from that place, I called them.

It's just something they threw together to advertise their business.

The lady seem quite amused when I told her it was the cause of a bit of speculation on model rocket forums.

Seeing as how I grew up just around the corner from that place, I called them.
It's just something they threw together to advertise their business.
The lady seem quite amused when I told her it was the cause of a bit of speculation on model rocket forums.
See if you can get them to take some measurements and send them to you !

It's my hometown. I don't live there now but it's less than an hour away.

I'm sure they'd be happy to have me show up with a tape measure, then again, you never know... I might get the nickel tour.

It is a neat lookin' thing. TLAR scale would be pretty easy and there is plenty of info in the pics for bolt/rivet detail. A couple of shots of the other side for paint reference and you're off to the races.

Of course, if you actually got some measurements, documented everything and entered it as a scale model you wouldn't (technically) be lying... 😜 ;)

View attachment 548177View attachment 548178View attachment 548180View attachment 548181

Looking at the pictures closer, finally, I suspect it's some random fins on some random tubing, one piece of which happened to match the base diameter of a random nose cone they had around. Quite plausible that all the parts were QC rejects for one reason or another. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't use that paint scheme for a sport rocket.

Back