And now for something completely different...

Discussion in 'Ground Support' started by SMR, Jul 9, 2017.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Nov 10, 2017 #61

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

Well, you would have to zoom in reeeaaaallllyy close to see it, and I entirely failed to mention it. I originally toyed with the idea of fenders in the line of fire (literally), but went with NASCAR pit-change friendly wheels. Once the pad is up on its feet, the tires are quickly removed from the axle and moved somewhere safe as well. Just an "R" pin holding them on. Doesn't take much to start a tire fire ...

IMG_4085 - Version 2.JPG

R pin.jpg

tire fire.jpg

tire fire 2.jpg

tire fire 3.jpg

wildfire.jpg

2. Nov 10, 2017 #62

Rex R

Rex R

Rex R

LV2

I expect that stacking them near the step ladder would work, though putting the pins in your 'pocket' might be a good idea. thanks for the info, I did wonder a bit :).
    Rex

SMR likes this.
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #63

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

And so you shall.... although YouTube conversions lose a lot of the resolution from the original slow motion iPhone video. The screen shots show it in better detail.

IMG_4250.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

IMG_4249.jpg

4. Dec 3, 2017 #64

Rex R

Rex R

Rex R

LV2

looking good, though some 'minwax spar urethane' would look nice on those wood bits :).
    Rex

5. May 18, 2018 #65

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

Winter break is over, time to get back to work...

Threw on a quick coat of primer last fall to protect the bare metal from seasonal garage humidity. Results of latest weld session.

Attached the tray to the frame on 1"x1" square tubes, to set the height where the footlocker top will open without hitting the upper side rails. (photo 1)

Attached 2"x2" angle iron under the frame for the tongue. 2"x2" tongue fits between and locks in with two 5/8" clevis pins (one shown in underneath views). Since the distance between the holes is fixed, the tongue can be inserted in the opposite direction (out the "back") and function as the third leg. (photos 2, 3, and 4)

Forward edge of angle iron to be drilled for clevis pins used to uplock the truss in launch position. Bracket on truss fits between the 2"x2" square crossbar and the 2"x2" angle iron. (photos 5 and 6)​

IMG_4710.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

IMG_4702.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

truss locking mechanism.png

6. May 22, 2018 #66

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

Starting work on the legs.

The angled top of the leg has a 20° and a 70° cut, but my abrasive-wheeled chop saw only has generic 15°/30°/45° markings on a rudimentary mitre. So, to ensure I make accurate cuts, I made a 20°/70° triangle out of scraps of particle board. Since the 2" x 2" square tubing has a radius edge, I made the triangle a full 2.25" thick (3 x .75") to ensure it aligned the face of the steel and not just the edge. The angles were double checked by linear measurements (and some math), as well as angular measurements with the protractor on my trusty PLU-6/C. (photos 1 & 2)

Making a jig for the legs. This is to ensure alignment of the pieces for welding AND to allow me to make multiples exactly the same. Steel supports bolted temporarily along the bottom edges to keep the jig flat. Interior bracing next to be cut. Some weird angles in there, too. (photos 3 & 4)

Big shout out "Thank You's" to my good friend sodmeister (Paul) for all the jig and tool suggestions I have stolen over the years, and good friend Feckless Counsel (Geoffrey) for engineering ideas and those great DeWalt tools!

IMG_4687.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 8.51.14 PM.png

7. Nov 27, 2018 #67

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

Finishing up a few other projects, which frees up some time to continue progress on this one. The legs will each swing 120° forward from the stowed position (along the side of the trailer), so the hinges needed to be made deep enough to allow for that without binding or catching. Therefore, the spindles on the legs (5/8" I.D. tubing) were shimmed out with a C-channel and a 1/8" steel strip. (Back in Post #42. Yeah, I know, over a year ago.) The nice thing with a slow build is time to catch and fix mistakes. I had planned on 3 spindles per leg, using a 5/8" bolt as a kingpin in each. When I laid everything out, I realized a bolt long enough to reach through each spindle bracket was too long to fit between them for installation. My options are then to either install the bolts prior to welding everything together (forever dooming the legs to never being disassembled), or just to use one long 5/8" rod as a continuous kingpin. The latter option won out, with the added benefit of being able to up the total number of spindles per side to 4.

Photo 1 shows the 4 spindles on one 2" x 2" leg vertical, with the 4 spindle brackets (to be welded to the vertical supports on the pad frame), utilizing one long kingpin. The remaining photos show the kingpin and spindle brackets removed, and a jig I made to hold the spindles in position for welding. (and repeatable spacing)

IMG_0701.JPG

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

caraviator likes this.
  8. Nov 27, 2018 #68

bibbster

bibbster

bibbster

Very nice work!

SMR likes this.
  9. Nov 30, 2018 #69

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

Thank you. Long, slow project, but happy so far with where we are with it.

The wooden jig in Post #67 sets the vertical spacing of the spindle brackets, but needed something to ensure the vertical alignment remains, in fact, vertical. So, added scrap pieces of wood to the ends of the base, in which the kingpin fits, which will hopefully keep everything within tolerance during welding, so the leg swings remain in plane.

leg alignment jig.jpg

10. Dec 6, 2018 #70

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

A little time with my welder today... spindles attached to the outrigger (leg) verticals. A little more 2" x 2" cutting before I can finish the legs themselves.

IMG_0742.JPG

11. Dec 7, 2018 #71

bibbster

bibbster

bibbster

Very nice bead work!

SMR likes this.
  12. Dec 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM #72

SMR

SMR

SMR

Entropy Demonstrator

Thanks. Wish when I said "spending time with my welder" I was talking about having the equipment and knowing how to use it. Neither of which is a reality. The next best thing is having someone with both equipment and ability, so thats where I go. And he does do really nice work.

Now comes the part where I am going to start getting hate mail.... Had some placards printed up on metal plates to attach to the sides of the frame after final paint. Personal preferences (my choice), not criticizing anyone whose preferences don't align with my own. I.e., we plan to fly this on my school club's field, which we fiercely protect, so don't want to ever start a corn stalk rubble fire.

Screen Shot 2018-12-11 at 3.16.22 PM.png

pondman and dhbarr like this.
  13. Dec 14, 2018 at 11:23 PM #73

Handeman

Handeman

Handeman

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

My only comment, you ban all the good motors! ;)

14. Dec 15, 2018 at 2:14 PM #74

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

OK, so what is wrong with metal rail guides??? At our launches the rails get so crudded up an occasional metal guide will possibly clean off some of the black crud. You would have to launch 10's of thousands of rockets for wear to be an issue...the rail will be useless due to normal use long before that...

15. Dec 15, 2018 at 3:32 PM #75

pondman

pondman

pondman

Serenity now...... TRF Lifetime Supporter

Sather, your pad; your rules. Makes perfect sense to me. ;)
    Beats having to extract repair funds form someone who damages your pad and refused to reimburse you.