And did we tell you the name of the game, boy?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve8091

Reaction score
Hello all, and welcome to my first post on the boards. Unfortunately my history in rocketry is very brief and not terribly exciting, so I'm not sure I'll be much of a contributor. Model rocketry was something that I did a handful of times with my father (now passed away) when I was very young, and I can remember parts of it to this day. I now have children that are now the age I was then, and I decided to give them the same experience. It's not entirely selfless - I'm equally pscyhed to get back into it myself. :D

My return (if you can call it that) to the hobby started last Monday, when I bought an Estes launch kit at a Hobby Lobby. I'm glad to have the launcher, but I was a bit disappointed in the ease with which the included rockets went together. One of the things I remember was prepping the parts, assembling, painting, and embellishing. Seems like Estes did all of that for me with these two.

A bit deflated, I went to a much more local hobby shop and came across the Starlight kits. I even managed to find one that closely resembled the rocket I launched as a child (as I remember it). The kit was MUCH more like what I remember, and I had a great time building it. I left off my perfectionist hat for this one, with the thought that I might quickly destroy it in flight during my first launch this weekend. I do, however, sense the struggle between perfectionism and "who-cares-if-it-crashes" in my not-so-distant future. Perhaps some display rockets and some launching rockets? Time will tell.

In any case, I just thought I'd say hello, rather than lurking unregistered. I'll be reading!

Hello all, and welcome to my first post on the boards. Unfortunately my history in rocketry is very brief and not terribly exciting, so I'm not sure I'll be much of a contributor. Model rocketry was something that I did a handful of times with my father (now passed away) when I was very young, and I can remember parts of it to this day. I now have children that are now the age I was then, and I decided to give them the same experience. It's not entirely selfless - I'm equally pscyhed to get back into it myself. :D

Welcome! Find a club to launch with. Flying rockets with others is a hoot.

My return (if you can call it that) to the hobby started last Monday, when I bought an Estes launch kit at a Hobby Lobby. I'm glad to have the launcher, but I was a bit disappointed in the ease with which the included rockets went together. One of the things I remember was prepping the parts, assembling, painting, and embellishing. Seems like Estes did all of that for me with these two.

I am glad to hear that. You will enjoy this forum.

A bit deflated, I went to a much more local hobby shop and came across the Starlight kits. I even managed to find one that closely resembled the rocket I launched as a child (as I remember it). The kit was MUCH more like what I remember, and I had a great time building it. I left off my perfectionist hat for this one, with the thought that I might quickly destroy it in flight during my first launch this weekend. I do, however, sense the struggle between perfectionism and "who-cares-if-it-crashes" in my not-so-distant future. Perhaps some display rockets and some launching rockets? Time will tell.

In any case, I just thought I'd say hello, rather than lurking unregistered. I'll be reading!

So what hobby store had Starlight kits?

-Dave

They call it "Riding the Gravy Train"

My LHS has Starlight as well. Schaefer's in St. Louis.

Welcome aboard.

Oh I don't know.....maybe riding the crazy train!

Welcome new friend.... it's all downhill from here!

welcome, you'll find many of the vendors here that provide the build experience you remember. Have fun.

Ranger, oh how I miss Schaefer's, I really liked the "down town" store since it was close to Parks/SLU where I went to school

Welcome to TRF :) It's nice to know that your father introduced you to the hobby and enough of it stuck with you to bring it to your kids. Hopefully you will all find reason to explore rocketry for years to come :)

Check out the various vendors found hanging around TRF. You *won't* be disappointed, I assure you of that :)

Have fun and keep us posted!

jim

Welcome. Which kit was it? When I was a kid my dad was not into rockets but he would buy me a MPC kit at the local Meijers for birthdays and Xmas. But we built model airplanes togeather. "There's no chalange to building that rocket it only has 7-8 parts!" Now I MAKE ROCKETS he dosnt complane He's even watched some fly (after 30some years).
Mr. Bob
Starlight Dude
www.starlightrocketry.com

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I bought the Starlight kit at Galaxy Science and Hobby in downtown Appleton, WI. It was a simple one - the Nano. I painted it the same drab sky blue as my childhood rocket, but then dusted it with a metallic silver, ultimately giving it a metallic blue color. I also cheesily named it the SAM-00v2 (my initals, model 0, version 2). My wife is still making fun of me. :D

I was hoping to get out and launch last weekend, but the weather did not cooperate. Now I'm away on business through this coming weekend, and anxiously awaiting the following weekend. I can't justify buying any other kits until after the first launch, and I'm looking forward to the justification.

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I bought the Starlight kit at Galaxy Science and Hobby in downtown Appleton, WI. It was a simple one - the Nano. I painted it the same drab sky blue as my childhood rocket, but then dusted it with a metallic silver, ultimately giving it a metallic blue color. I also cheesily named it the SAM-00v2 (my initals, model 0, version 2). My wife is still making fun of me. :D

I was hoping to get out and launch last weekend, but the weather did not cooperate. Now I'm away on business through this coming weekend, and anxiously awaiting the following weekend. I can't justify buying any other kits until after the first launch, and I'm looking forward to the justification.

Welcome aboard fellow cheesehead!

Appleton, know it well. My folks lived there for 27 years, just move to Menasha. I was raise up in DePere.

You might want to check out the Lakeshore Area Rocketry Society, they are from Fond du Lac. Their web page is under constructions right now. Going to club launches is great! I have a hard time getting anything in the air because of all the "socializing", I've been told I talk too much.

Remember, when Lake Winnebago is frozen over, it makes a huge recovery area, like Black Rock, only colder.

Welcome aboard fellow cheesehead!

Appleton, know it well. My folks lived there for 27 years, just move to Menasha. I was raise up in DePere.

Remember, when Lake Winnebago is frozen over, it makes a huge recovery area, like Black Rock, only colder.

Wow, you and I must've swapped lives. I was born and raised in northern VA, and after a few other moves, I made my way to Appleton. We've been here about 6 years now, and at this point we'd have a hard time leaving.

I didn't even CONSIDER the frozen lake...that'd be cool on so many levels..

Back