An "R"-powered rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
understandable that life takes us in a different direction, happens all the time.

at the end of the day, this is a hobby and not much more. a hobby that can consume a ton of resources, but a hobby none the less.

it is disappointing that this project will not fly in the near future, and with momentum being lost, likely not in the distant future (start up costs will be hard to justify), but it was something to follow while it lasted.

You guys are nailing it. It’s a great hobby and all I need is the motor. The stuff I’ll be selling is mainly extras. When the time comes for the motor we’ll get someone to do it for us.

John has it nailed about time. I’m 57 and have been lucky to have my health. My heart has been in the Nevada desert since I was a kid. The chance to actually work on our own mining project is the culmination of many years of prep work. One doesn’t just show up at some random spot in the desert and start digging. Well you can but you’ll find yourself on the wrong end of a revolver. It’s 1800’s law out there in many ways. We still are working under the Mining Act of 1872. It’s still the law of the land in regards to securing and maintaining mining rights on public lands.

Securing and maintaining mining rights next to the big players isn’t easy. Then one has to gather the equipment and permits. The current climate for mining has been very positive due to a recent significant reduction in government regulation. Northern Nevada is exploding with opportunity now that some common-sense rules are in place.

Guys like Fred A like to throw rocks from the peanut gallery but every endeavor has that 1%. I usually dismiss guys that are negative and contribute nothing to the project. Fred’s a good man I’m sure he just comes across as that codgy “get off my lawn” neighbor lol. All of you have been instrumental and this rocket is very well-built. Am already getting offers from others wanting to build the “R” motor.

If I have a few days off I head to Reno then up Hwy 80 to Rye Patch Reservoir. From there it’s about 20 miles of rough dirt road to our 800 acres of mining claims. We have that white mining truck at the Reno airport and it’s fully-equipped to handle what the desert can throw at us. Starting off with 10-ply E-rated Kevlar reinforced tires and two spares lol.

Anyways thanks guys for the understanding. If I wasn’t being tugged by the mining there’s no doubt I’d be building big motors.

Thanks!!

Chuck C.

open pit placer mining can need big equipment like dozer, dump truck and excavator
hard rock mining needs crushers, explosives, track, ore carts, etc
water mining needs a dredge

all need separators like sluice

go watch gold rush on discovery channel for placer mining

all expensive and 80% of miners go broke

good luck

open pit placer mining can need big equipment like dozer, dump truck and excavator
hard rock mining needs crushers, explosives, track, ore carts, etc
water mining needs a dredge

all need separators like sluice

go watch gold rush on discovery channel for placer mining

all expensive and 80% of miners go broke

good luck

Yep we’ve watched many a miner in the area go broke. Mainly because of equipment purchases. You’re right on with what you’re saying.

It’s why we waited until we actually struck bedrock and the gold was there. Also it took 5 years of helping the local old-timers to legally maintain their claims before they finally let us “outsiders” in.

It really is like stepping back into the 1800’s. Back then the law was the Mining District... a collection of local miners. Today the local miners meet at a local saloon in the middle of nowhere. That saloon is where the mining decisions are made regarding claims and who owns what.

An old miner taught me long ago the ins and outs of the 1872 mining law and how the PLSS (Public Land Survey System) works. Nothing in mining claims boundaries relates to GPS. Only the PLSS. I’ve been fortunate to discover in the past few years a way to apply today’s GPS to the PLSS system. While I know this sounds confusing it’s the secret to protecting the old-timers mining rights from individuals with ulterior motives.

I’ve always loved rocketry. The past year was great because I was able to learn how to build a big rocket and big motors. I was set on launching it but when my motor guy had some health issues it happened right on top of our discovery in Nevada. My energy and $$$ for now has to be out in Nevada.

Am considering selling the rocket too lol. Not sure who’d buy something this big. It’s built solid as you guys know and has about $7000 worth of parts in it. Or I might keep it and hang it up in the building as a semi-permanent Hangar Queen.

Good stuff! Am having a lot of fun.

Chuck C.

Everything I know about mining I learned from the movies Support Your Local Gunfighter and Pale Rider. I'm sure both of those are perfectly accurate ;)

At any rate, best of luck with your new adventure and I hope your rocket flies someday.

Going to start posting some things in the Classifieds here on TRF.

Got a ton of stuff I thought was going to be used in this rocket but I either changed my mind or it simply wasn’t what was needed lol.

In the spirit of getting things moved there should be some outright bargains!

Chuck C.

Best of luck, Chuck. I stopped by your rocket & trailer twice at LDRS and walked past it many other times. One time your were engaged in a phone call and I didn’t see you the other times, but your rocket and trailer are very nicely made (not that I had a chance to examine it structurally, but it was painted great!). I hope you get a chance to finish this dream someday.
Steve

Chuck, you big baby. Give me a call every now and then to let me know you haven't fallen in a big hole somewhere in the Nevada desert. Be sure to keep that Tripoli membership current so you don't lose your cert status. Brush your teeth, and take a bath at least once a week. ;)

Be sure to keep that Tripoli membership current so you don't lose your cert status.

Chuck,

Join NAR and link your TRA Cert levels to it . . . With NAR, you NEVER lose Cert Levels, no matter how long you lapse. When you come back, re-join NAR to get your Cert level back and then, re-join TRA and transfer the Cert level over . . . Nice & Easy !

Dave F.

STEELY-EYED MISSILE MEN - AVATAR.jpg

Chuck,
Sorry you don't like my commentary, but I think I have a fairly unique viewpoint as I've BUILT AND FLOWN an R.
Good luck on your next adventure.
May it bear fruit...………...

Chuck,
Sorry you don't like my commentary, but I think I have a fairly unique viewpoint as I've BUILT AND FLOWN an R.
Good luck on your next adventure.
May it bear fruit...………...

Word on the street is it blowed up? Even so you’ve still got more experience than me so that’s pretty cool.

Maybe that’s why I haven’t flown this one yet... she looks so darn nice!

Take care.

Chuck C.

Yep, it failed and we know why.
Still have the experience that few, if any, here have.

If you can't stand to push the button, get a train set. Or in you case, a back hoe.

Yep, it failed and we know why.
Still have the experience that few, if any, here have.

If you can't stand to push the button, get a train set. Or in you case, a back hoe.

That's too bad you had such a spectacular failure Fred! Are you going to try again or did you give up?

A backhoe might work except we need to go deeper to reach the bedrock. So we're going to go with an excavator.

Do you have any video of your failure? Would like to see that to learn from your mistakes. I've made plenty myself in this hobby lol. Although this "R" rocket has been solidly built we both know there's a lot that can go wrong.

When is your next launch attempt?

Chuck C.

Balls-29 probably.
As you know, it's a TON of work and the rocket is only a small portion of the effort.
If you think our failure was Spectacular, then you must have seen it.......Was Ball-27 for all to see, no secret....
Yes, there is video somewhere.

Did the flight go as planned, hell no.
Did the flight GO - hell yes!
Big accomplishment!

Last edited:
Good luck Chuck! Like they say on Aussie Gold Hunters, "Get stuck in it". Let me know when it's safe to bring out my metal detector, lol.

Chuck,

This is a real 'let down" for me . . . Now I know how the NASA engineers must have felt when Apollo 18, 19, & 20 were cancelled.

Is this only a "vacation" from Rocketry or are you calling it quits ?

It was a pleasure working with you, and all the others, sir !

Dave F.

Chuck,

This is a real 'let down" for me . . . Now I know how the NASA engineers must have felt when Apollo 18, 19, & 20 were cancelled.

Is this only a "vacation" from Rocketry or are you calling it quits ?

It was a pleasure working with you, and all the others, sir !

Dave F.

View attachment 396382
Chipping in as a complete outsider / bystander here...obviously I don't know any of the details / circumstances here (I've only been following this thread from afar) but given what you say about your disaapointment might I venture to suggest you and the other Steely Eyed Missile Men who were working on this rocket form a consortium, buy the items the OP is selling and continue the project...?

Chipping in as a complete outsider / bystander here...obviously I don't know any of the details / circumstances here (I've only been following this thread from afar) but given what you say about your disappointment might I venture to suggest you and the other Steely Eyed Missile Men who were working on this rocket form a consortium, buy the items the OP is selling and continue the project...?

Tim,

For my part, I, along with several others, were working in a design / problem-solving role. We were referred to as the "Support Team" and acted as a "sounding board" for Chuck, as well as directly contributing to the design / modification of components, materials, and, at times, procedures.

Chuck was the head of the project and his close associates comprised the "Prime / Primary Team". They had the "final say" and, ultimately, made all critical decisions. Compartmentalization was an effective way to keep every one focused on their original tasks, without being distracted or overwhelmed by areas of the project that were outside of our various areas of "expertise".

We had a true "spirit" of team-work and camaraderie ( as I envision how NASA was in the 1960's ) . . . It was a great experience and one that I will always remember and cherish.

It was a terrific honor and privilege, for me, to be able to serve in the capacity I did, for Chuck . . . I would gladly do it again, anytime !

Dave F.

Tim,

For my part, I, along with several others, were working in a design / problem-solving role. We were referred to as the "Support Team" and acted as a "sounding board" for Chuck, as well as directly contributing to the design / modification of components, materials, and, at times, procedures.

Chuck was the head of the project and his close associates comprised the "Prime / Primary Team". They had the "final say" and, ultimately, made all critical decisions. Compartmentalization was an effective way to keep every one focused on their original tasks, without being distracted or overwhelmed by areas of the project that were outside of our various areas of "expertise".

We had a true "spirit" of team-work and camaraderie ( as I envision how NASA was in the 1960's ) . . . It was a great experience and one that I will always remember and cherish.

It was a terrific honor and privilege, for me, to be able to serve in the capacity I did, for Chuck . . . I would gladly do it again, anytime !

Dave F.

View attachment 396442
Thanks for the background. Given that number of involved parties and level of infrastructure / organisation, it sounds like you'll definitely have enough people to keep the project going. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back