An "R"-powered rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone!
And no worries, I'm getting better everyday!
Retta told me if I woos out and let this get the better of me, she's gonna cremate me, put me in an urn above the fireplace, and sing "Kitty Kat craves Crave" everyday to me.
That's powerful survival incentive there.
She can't sing, and I absolutely hate that jingle.

When you go, I think you need to have someone mix up your ashes into a big batch of Orange Sunset. No better way for an old-school rocket motor maker to go! :)

Well it was a productive day in the 95 degree Texas heat although with fans blowing in the Rocket Barn it's really not bad.

The drogue section is 95% complete and caused me a small headache because even though I measured 3 times I set a centering ring on the yellow internal 8" tube an inch off. But if you're not making mistakes when building a rocket you're not doing it right.

The first picture shows the internal 8" tube that is used for strength in the coupler that houses the top of the motor. It is designed so the first CR slides into the coupler and sets within 1/2" of the motor retainer plate seen in the pic. The next CR up rests on top of the coupler. The 5' airframe is then going to be slid over the coupler and the airframe CR's epoxied in. The first CR is not epoxied as it is made to slide out during deployment.

The drogue will be inside the yellow tube.

The second and third pics show the rocket put together for the first time. 21 1/2 ft long. Needs to be weighed. Rail guides. Screw attachments for AvBay to airframe. Recovery system installed. Charge cannons and AvBay electronics put onto sled.

Paint!

So far about a 4 month actual build.

Woo hoo!

Chuck C.

IMG_5123[1].JPG IMG_5125[1].JPG IMG_5126[1].JPG

Chuck,

That is a LOT of Rocket, in those pics !

How are you going to weigh it ?

Dave F.

View attachment 389784

In pieces will work best. Considering a small gantry crane for the next rocket.

Probably have to take a crane to the launch site for that one dangit.

Maybe it’s time to start over with an Estes rocket and an A motor.

Chuck C.

Maybe it’s time to start over with an Estes rocket and an A motor.

Chuck C.

Chuck,

Actually, that's not such a bad idea ( hear me out ) . . .

After this project is over, go back to your "roots" in Rocketry, for a weekend . . . Become a 10-year old with his first Rocket ( Estes Alpha / A8-3 ), again . . .

Just enjoy the simplicity and nostalgia . . . Relax, enjoy, embrace the memories, de-stress . . . Never "forget where you came from" !

Dave F.

STEELY-EYED MISSILE MEN - AVATAR.jpg

After this project is over, go back to your "roots" in Rocketry, for a weekend . . . Become a 10-year old with his first Rocket ( Estes Alpha / A8-3 ), again . . .
Been there, done that. I was a bit burnt out since the big flight at Thunda earlier in the year. Been flying D motors since. Nice low-stress flights. Recommended. I will light up an L in about a week :).

I've got an Open Rocket question:

The motor sticks out from the thrust plate on the bottom of the rocket by 3".

Currently in Open Rocket I have a fake MMT that is flush with the bottom of the rocket.

If I slide that MMT down 3" will loading the motor for simulation reflect that 3" slide? Does Open Rocket put the motor into the MMT exactly where it sits?

Am looking for an accurate CG when the rocket is prepped for flight.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

Select the motor tube. Theres a tab called "motor" with an option to overhang the motor out the back a bit

That's it!

Thanks.

Already looking at the S-powered rocket since this rocket is almost done. I had a lot of help with Open Rocket for the R-powered rocket although I did learn a great deal. Enough to safely design the next rocket.

This time around I want to master Open Rocket... which I can't do without ya'lls help!

Chuck C.

Chuck,

No "sim" is going to provide a more accurate CG than actual physical measurement. Also, during Boost, the Recovery Devices will be shifted aft by the G-Forces of Acceleration.

Dave F.

View attachment 389929

Yes aware of that. Thanks.

The sim needs to be provided when doing the Class 3 application for Tripoli and the FAA waiver. I want that to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

Yes aware of that. Thanks.

The sim needs to be provided when doing the Class 3 application for Tripoli and the FAA waiver. I want that to be as accurate as possible.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

Chuck,

Where is the CP on the rocket ?

How much CP shift is anticipated, as velocity increases ?

Dave F.

Hasn't the C-3 application window closed for BALLS and for sure for LDRS....like over a month ago????
The weights and measures needed to be finalized and sims finished long ago.

Hasn't the C-3 application window closed for BALLS and for sure for LDRS....like over a month ago????
The weights and measures needed to be finalized and sims finished long ago.

Good question.

Due to Pat Gordzelik’s being a big baby and having an operation Aug 12 we decided to hold off on both the LDRS and BALLS launches. His being a Rock Star motor builder means I have to lean on him for all things motor. Well that is until the student begins to teach the master.

I’ll be showing off the rocket at LDRS with it lifted into the launch position near the main crowd. KloudBusters have approved this and I’ll follow their lead on where to set up. No live motor or ejection charges.

Will attend BALLS and help with other projects there.

Looking forward to flying this beauty some time in 2020. TRA’s Class 3 Review Committee have been top shelf in helping us get all the applications in order. It’s a big deal and a side of rocketry many of us don’t even have to think about thanks to Tripoli and the Prefectures.

Chuck C.

Last edited:
Good question.

Due to Pat Gordzelik’s being a big baby and having an operation Aug 12 we decided to hold off on both the LDRS and BALLS launches. His being a Rock Star motor builder means I have to lean on him for all things motor. Well that is until the student begins to teach the master.

I’ll be showing off the rocket at LDRS with it lifted into the launch position near the main crowd. KloudBusters have approved this and I’ll follow their lead on where to set up. No live motor or ejection charges.

Will attend BALLS and help with other projects there.

Looking forward to flying this beauty some time in 2020. TRA’s Class 3 Review Committee have been top shelf in helping us get all the applications in order. It’s a big deal and a side of rocketry many of us don’t even have to think about thanks to Tripoli and the Prefectures.

Chuck C.

Chuck,

This is a "bittersweet" announcement, but I applaud your decision and know how difficult it must have been for you to reach those conclusions and make the decision to scrub the launches, until next year.

Please give my best wishes to Pat G. and wish him a full & speedy recovery !

What are the plans in the meantime ?

Starting "general discussion" for the "S" project, since it will be a much faster and higher project ?

Dave F.

hopefully bringing the casing for show and tell also

Rocket is getting scheduled for painting!

Going to haul it on the Levi Seaton Mobile Launch System to the shop.

Very few things left to do.

Again I’m glad experienced big project rocketeers like the KloudBusters at LDRS are going to get a chance to look over just how well this rocket was built. They and others from the TRA leadership will see first-hand just how much went into making this rocket safe to fly.

I’ve caught a lot of flak by using this forum as a sounding-board for this project. But I’ll tell you what when you see this rocket you’re going to agree it’s built to the hilt lol. No question it can handle the 4000+ lbs of thrust from a Pat Gordzelik “R” motor.

Glad Pat G is on this project. The guy’s got a heart of gold and he knows his stuff. I may be wrong (I often am!) but he has had more of his EX propellant shot into the air than probably anyone in the country.

Lucky to have him.

On to painting!

Chuck C.

Rocket is getting scheduled for painting!

Going to haul it on the Levi Seaton Mobile Launch System to the shop.

Very few things left to do.

Again I’m glad experienced big project rocketeers like the KloudBusters at LDRS are going to get a chance to look over just how well this rocket was built. They and others from the TRA leadership will see first-hand just how much went into making this rocket safe to fly.

I’ve caught a lot of flak by using this forum as a sounding-board for this project. But I’ll tell you what when you see this rocket you’re going to agree it’s built to the hilt lol. No question it can handle the 4000+ lbs of thrust from a Pat Gordzelik “R” motor.

Glad Pat G is on this project. The guy’s got a heart of gold and he knows his stuff. I may be wrong (I often am!) but he has had more of his EX propellant shot into the air than probably anyone in the country.

Lucky to have him.

On to painting!

Chuck C.
All right Chuck, ease off those thrusters.

Appreciate the praise, and while it is true I have opened up my fair share of 500 lb barrels of AP and threw it in a Hobart mixer, there are are lot of folks in this hobby that have either equaled or surpassed anything I have done.

And propellant geometry and formulas are one thing, but scaling from entry level 38 mm to 8" and bigger is quite another, they don't scale. We have been working on full Q (which I have experience with) to baby R, and there is really not much difference between a 99% Q and a 1% R. But S is a whole nuther world. I would have to learn several 5 gallons
buckets of knowledge and buy a bunch of beer for folks that could help pull that off before I even thought about that.
How about we just work on procuring the hardware, fly your rocket several times on Q and R impulse motors, and have a great time doing it with our steely eyed missile men friends in the process...

Had a great day today. Put in a solar powered water well for a cowboy rancher, got paid to do what I love to do, and got licked by a grateful heifer. For me, besides launching high powered rockets and having the love of a good woman, it don't get much better than that.

Pat G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back