An "R"-powered rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing to remember about flying at the Argonia Rocket Pasture is that all metal parts require paint, just an FYI.

Chuck,

Now that you have the Parachutes squared away, have you addressed the Recovery Harnesses yet ? ( Materials, Design, Length, Hardware, etc. )

Dave F.

STEELY-EYED MISSILE MEN - AVATAR.jpg

Chuck,

Now that you have the Parachutes squared away, have you addressed the Recovery Harnesses yet ? ( Materials, Design, Length, Hardware, etc. )

Dave F.

View attachment 387980

This is a good time for this discussion as Buddy Michaelson asked about my choice of Kevlar for the recovery harness just a few days ago.

Already have (4) 100 ft sections of 1/2” sewn-loop Kevlar. There will be 2 of these between the booster and the bottom of the drogue section. The other 2 will be between the top of the drogue and the main parachute. There will be (2) 25’ sections attaching the drogue to the motor casing upper enclosure eyebolt anchor. The nosecone will be recovered separately.

Buddy recommends the use of nylon for the recovery harnesses. If well-protected nylon provides much more give than Kevlar. I’ve used Kevlar since my Level 2 days and have never had a problem. However I would consider a switch to nylon if there was enough reason to do so. The bottom line for me is that nylon just isn’t strong enough.

As far as hardware it’s forged-steel all the way. The entire system is designed for 8000 lbs of force with breaking strengths north of 10,000 lbs.

We have in place a robust recovery system. As always this rocket is being built in the wide open so inputs are always welcomed. Although we try to prepare for every contingency mistakes can be made. Need you guys to help catch those mistakes.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

This is a good time for this discussion as Buddy Michaelson asked about my choice of Kevlar for the recovery harness just a few days ago.

Already have (4) 100 ft sections of 1/2” sewn-loop Kevlar. There will be 2 of these between the booster and the bottom of the drogue section. The other 2 will be between the top of the drogue and the main parachute. There will be (2) 25’ sections attaching the drogue to the motor casing upper enclosure eyebolt anchor. The nosecone will be recovered separately.

Buddy recommends the use of nylon for the recovery harnesses. If well-protected nylon provides much more give than Kevlar. I’ve used Kevlar since my Level 2 days and have never had a problem. However I would consider a switch to nylon if there was enough reason to do so. The bottom line for me is that nylon just isn’t strong enough.

As far as hardware it’s forged-steel all the way. The entire system is designed for 8000 lbs of force with breaking strengths north of 10,000 lbs.

We have in place a robust recovery system. As always this rocket is being built in the wide open so inputs are always welcomed. Although we try to prepare for every contingency mistakes can be made. Need you guys to help catch those mistakes.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

Chuck,

Are you going to bring it down in one, two, or three pieces ?

By "Nose Cone" did you literally mean just the Nose Cone by itself or the Payload Section with it?

What altitude are you considering for Main Deployment ?

Dave F.

Last edited:
Chuck,

Are you going to bring it down in one, two, or three pieces ?

By "Nose Cone" did you literally mean just the Nose Cone by itself or the Payload Section with it?

What altitude are you considering for Main Deployment ?

Dave F.

View attachment 387999

Booster and payload sections stay together with 200 ft total of harness. Nosecone only by itself as we don’t need it fouling the main.

Main deployment probably at 5000 ft to give it time to do its thang.

Chuck C.

322825_2000x2000.jpg

Booster and payload sections stay together with 200 ft total of harness. Nosecone only by itself as we don’t need it fouling the main.

Main deployment probably at 5000 ft to give it time to do its thang.

Chuck C.

Chuck,

The Deployment Bag will also be attached to the Nose Cone ?

Is there only a single GPS tracker ? Where is it located in the rocket ?

Dave F.

What do you plan to use for tracking?

Good question Levi.

Right now it’s going to be The Big Red Bee 900Mhz GPS system.

I’m in discussion with the fine gentleman that offers the “Kate” system of tracking. Just asked him if we could bring his and my discussion to the forum.

Like many ideas I’d like a good online review of his system before committing to putting it on this rocket.

Should know shortly!

Chuck C.

Good question Levi.

Right now it’s going to be The Big Red Bee 900Mhz GPS system.

I’m in discussion with the fine gentleman that offers the “Kate” system of tracking. Just asked him if we could bring his and my discussion to the forum.

Like many ideas I’d like a good online review of his system before committing to putting it on this rocket.

Should know shortly!

Chuck C.
Kate is a very cool setup. Very expensive as well. I’ve used a garmin Astro dog collar for multiple flights. It’s very tough but there are other systems out there now that are much smaller and around the same price. It’s good for up to nine miles.

Ok Vern over at Multitronix has asked about putting the Kate tracking system on the UpChuckR rocket as a demonstration at LDRS.

Here’s his web site and where you can get additional information on the Kate system:

https://www.multitronix.com/

Although I’ve seen the system in use on other rockets (and was impressed) I must admit I’m pretty ignorant overall about how it works. Was able to gain more knowledge at the web site but not enough to make an informed decision. Admittedly I’ve got so much on my plate finishing up the rocket and tending to the logistics.

Vern has given me permission to bring our discussion onto this thread.

I’d like to see Kate in action and was curious what you all thought of the system. Again I haven’t had time to see how it all gets incorporated into the rocket and what changes may have to be made in the prepping process.

So if you all have some inputs I’d like to hear them.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

... I haven’t had time to see how it all gets incorporated into the rocket and what changes may have to be made in the prepping process.

The Kate transmitter is usually mounted in the nosecone. It fits perfectly inside a 54mm tube and is held in place with 54mm coupler tubes above it and below it. That's all there is to mounting it. When you are ready to fly, it can be turned-on by passing a magnetic induction loop over the outside of the nosecone. It then links up with the receiver and can be armed for flight using a simple go/no-go menu page on the receiver. The Kate voice narration starts at liftoff and the telemetry information is also displayed on the receiver. The receiver also displays a simple locator screen that guides the user to the rocket for recovering it. Once the rocket is recovered the transmitter can be turned-off by sending a command from the receiver. In a nut shell, that's it. The system is designed to be intuitive and easy to use.

Last edited:
Some questions to consider for the recovery harness.

1. What is the total weight of the rocket pieces at apogee?

2. How long is the rocket (rule of thumb is harness is 4 time rocket length)?

Once those questions are answered then you decide what harness length and size is necessary. Per Top Flight Recovery 1/2” Kevlar is rated at 7200#. I agree with Buddy about stretch of nylon vs Kevlar. I wasn’t able to find any ratings of nylon. I would think that if you contact Teddy at One Bad Hawk he can tell you the differences between Kevlar and Nylon. I think that if the. Harness is long enough stretch isn’t going to be a problem with your rocket since all the attachment points are super strong.

What do you plan to use for tracking?

The Kate transmitter is usually mounted in the nosecone. It fits perfectly inside a 54mm tube and is held in place with 54mm coupler tubes above it and below it. That's all there is to mounting it. When you are ready to fly, it can be turned-on by passing a magnetic induction loop over the outside of the nosecone. It then links up with the receiver and can be armed for flight using a simple go/no-go menu page on the receiver. The Kate voice narration starts at liftoff and the telemetry information is also displayed on the receiver. The receiver also displays a simple locator screen that guides the user to the rocket for recovering it. Once the rocket is recovered the transmitter can be turned-off by sending a command from the receiver. In a nut shell, that's it. The system is designed to be intuitive and easy to use.

Vern it sounds like this would a lot of fun to demo at LDRS.

I appreciate your offering this service on this rocket. I say let’s do it!

Great website you have and it looks like Kate is an impressive tracker.

Making room in the nosecone for a 54mm tube is easy.

Thanks!

Chuck C.

Ok Vern over at Multitronix has asked about putting the Kate tracking system on the UpChuckR rocket as a demonstration at LDRS.

Here’s his web site and where you can get additional information on the Kate system:

https://www.multitronix.com/

Although I’ve seen the system in use on other rockets (and was impressed) I must admit I’m pretty ignorant overall about how it works. Was able to gain more knowledge at the web site but not enough to make an informed decision. Admittedly I’ve got so much on my plate finishing up the rocket and tending to the logistics.

Vern has given me permission to bring our discussion onto this thread.

I’d like to see Kate in action and was curious what you all thought of the system. Again I haven’t had time to see how it all gets incorporated into the rocket and what changes may have to be made in the prepping process.

So if you all have some inputs I’d like to hear them.

Thanks!

Chuck C.
Lucky dog

Booster and payload sections stay together with 200 ft total of harness. Nosecone only by itself as we don’t need it fouling the main. Main deployment probably at 5000 ft to give it time to do its thang.

Unfortunately, with Kate riding in the nosecone she will not be able to take you to your rocket.

If I read this right, the nose cone doesn't separate completely from the rocket until the 5000 foot event. This should keep the tracked potion much closer to the untracked parts so a second tracker is not as critical. Or lower the separation point further.

If I read this right, the nose cone doesn't separate completely from the rocket until the 5000 foot event. This should keep the tracked potion much closer to the untracked parts so a second tracker is not as critical. Or lower the separation point further.

I would suggest that if you have separate pieces to have separate trackers for each piece. Two separate pieces might not have similar decent and drift. There are random milo and silage fields around the Rocket Pasture. There is a possibility that you might not see any of the down part. Had a 10” Polecat Goblin nosecone with a 7’ chute “disappear” in a milo field for about 30 minutes before being found. Should have been easy to find and that was seeing where it came down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back