An "R"-powered rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
still a lot of gold in Nevada, most mines were started in 1880-1910 and closed for WWII
some were reopened around 1950-1970 for a few years but the price of gold was still low at that point
with gold at 1000-1200, money can be made especially with placer gold, hard rock mining takes a lot more investment in equipment

I wonder how many "modern day prospectors" ( criminals ) just sit back, watching prospectors panning for gold, then come and rob them on their way out ?

I would definitely not go unarmed !

Dave F.

STEELY-EYED MISSILE MEN - AVATAR.jpg

Where are good gold spots near Gerlach? Need to subsidize my Balls project.

Somehow, I think that this is like asking a mushroom collector or fisherman where their best spots are... :)
Myself, I always share some of my very best spots catching large species of fish.
Have at it I always say, share and share alike...

Pat G

You can use pipe insulation foam the black pool noodle looking kind. I've used it 1000's of times on my paint jobs, boats, rockets, car parts, etc. No issues. Just make sure your clear has had a few days to dry. Hang it in the meantime with a large wooden dowel or similar.

You can use pipe insulation foam the black pool noodle looking kind. I've used it 1000's of times on my paint jobs, boats, rockets, car parts, etc. No issues. Just make sure your clear has had a few days to dry. Hang it in the meantime with a large wooden dowel or similar.

The rocket weighs several hundred pounds . . . Empty.

Dave F.

Seven Troughs mountain range has some of the best gold in Nevada. 40 miles from a paved road. 40 miles from the Black Rock. Yes we find lots of the shiny stuff. Sometimes get skunked.

We take a pop-up camper and 4x4. If you like remote and prospecting up beautiful canyons in the middle of the desert there’s your place.

Rocket going in for painting Friday! Excited.

Chuck C.

Seven Troughs mountain range has some of the best gold in Nevada. 40 miles from a paved road. 40 miles from the Black Rock. Yes we find lots of the shiny stuff. Sometimes get skunked.

We take a pop-up camper and 4x4. If you like remote and prospecting up beautiful canyons in the middle of the desert there’s your place.

Chuck C.

Dave F.

Final note and then back to the rocket lol. Just wanted to share some excitement.

We hit some gold ore on this trip. It’s a big deal for my brother and I. Been prospecting since we were kids. Spent the last few years reaching deeper and deeper on mining claims we own in the Northern Nevada mountains.

Finally nailed some gold ore on the metal detectors. We were finding nuggets pretty often but what you want is the source.

The ore hasn’t been graded. We are going to crush and pan our samples.

Anyway it’s time to think big rockets again! Am glad to get this one in for paint. 2 guy neighbors are coming over to help me load this beast onto the Levi Seaton Mobile Launch Platform so the rocket can be taken to paint shop.

Rail guides are on their way. Easy to install those. They are Delrin and made to perfectly fit the Unistrut 1000T rail. Going to install with 3/8” black oxide screws bolted into a wood/metal base inside rocket.

Other things to do but this post is long-winded enough lol.

Chuck C.

Final note and then back to the rocket lol. Just wanted to share some excitement.

We hit some gold ore on this trip. It’s a big deal for my brother and I. Been prospecting since we were kids. Spent the last few years reaching deeper and deeper on mining claims we own in the Northern Nevada mountains.

Finally nailed some gold ore on the metal detectors. We were finding nuggets pretty often but what you want is the source.

The ore hasn’t been graded. We are going to crush and pan our samples.

Anyway it’s time to think big rockets again! Am glad to get this one in for paint. 2 guy neighbors are coming over to help me load this beast onto the Levi Seaton Mobile Launch Platform so the rocket can be taken to paint shop.

Rail guides are on their way. Easy to install those. They are Delrin and made to perfectly fit the Unistrut 1000T rail. Going to install with 3/8” black oxide screws bolted into a wood/metal base inside rocket.

Other things to do but this post is long-winded enough lol.

Chuck C.
Congratulations on your find! I can’t wait to see that rocket stood up. Strap her down good. Hope all is well

The UpChuckR is loaded onto to the Levi Seaton Mobile Launch Platform ready for transport to the paint shop.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive about taking this on the road. Still need to strap it down and double-check a few things before pulling it out of the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Wonder if NASA feels the same way as their crawler took out some of their bigger projects to the launch pad lol. I do know when a bigger rocket gets built we're going to need a gantry crane to lift it.

Chuck C.

IMG_5136[1].JPG IMG_5137[1].JPG

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little apprehensive about taking this on the road. Still need to strap it down and double-check a few things before pulling it out of the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Wonder if NASA feels the same way as their crawler took out some of their bigger projects to the launch pad lol. I do know when a bigger rocket gets built we're going to need a gantry crane to lift it.

Just remember that the crawlers only go about 5 MPH. I have a feeling that you are going to go faster than that.

When I took my big rocket up to Amarillo TX to fly at LDRS 25 I had to put it on a 17' car trailer to get it there. We were hitting 70MPH and coming around a curve when we came across an oversize semi stopped in both lanes in front of a bridge, checking to see if he could get under it. We had to lock up the brakes on the truck to get stopped in enough time. We went around them on the shoulder and then had to pull over and check the rocket. Then I had to change pants.

We stopped several times to check the load and only had one city police stop behind us to ask what was going on. He wasn't worried but they had gotten a couple calls about "a guy with a big rocket pulled over" and he wanted to check it out.

I would also suggest that you have a flyer on the rocket printed up. When we stopped to get gas, eat or hit the bathrooms we were asked a TON of questions every time. Most of them the same questions but it would have been so much easier to hand them a flyer with the Rocket and launch details.

Tim Sapp

The rocket traveled very well on the 15 miles to the paint shop. Launch platform was rock solid.

Used 4 straps with the black foam used on pipes.

Levi designed this all very well. Fun to watch people’s reactions to this beast lol.

Chuck C.

F73A7DD9-93B2-4343-BC7A-523440507DA1.jpeg 37A37CBF-EAA2-466E-BC20-54C74EC85F40.jpeg 3E60DB89-3302-4038-BC0A-84558200DD66.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back