Discussion in 'High Power Rocketry (HPR)' started by Rail Dawg, Nov 30, 2018.
I have a Jolly, made my protector from cotton
Not bad ideas. With the rocket at close to 400 pounds after the burn the recovery system is going to be quite stout.
Thanks for the links.
Once again, merely a "concept" . . . Not the actual "hardware" involved.
I was thinking in terms of reliability of Main Deployment(s), without tangling or potential "impact" of airframe components, plus the ability to use smaller chutes.
For parachutes of this size and strength, something more rugged than a chute release is likely required. Search the forum and interwebs for Deployment Bag techniques (sometimes referred to as D-bags.... )
That's a technical suggestion based on the forces involved. My hands-on rocket experience has a gap between standard dual deploy and burnup on reentry
Good points. Yes we are looking at the deployment bag technique. It looks to be the best way to get a gradual deployment along with a minimal chance of the shroud lines entangling.
Recovery systems definitely aren’t scalable. What might work for a 50 lb rocket probably won’t work for a 600 lb one. Lots to think about.
Appreciate the inputs Dave. It’s why we’re looking at the deployment bag technique. It works well for the military.
Speaking of deployment...
Hey Chuck! I don't get around on the forum much but just came across this thread that you started and just wanted to say hi. Good luck with your project! Are you planning to make it to LDRS this year in Argonia?
That was very interesting, especially the slow-motion of how a conventional pilot chute behaves, by comparison.
Great info !
Hey Jim thanks for checking in! I'm thinking of LDRS... be fun to watch some rockets fly.
Mainly focusing on BALLS with this project.
Hi Tony yes you're probably right but to make sure we went ahead and got a DOM casing. Another problem with the original casing is that it has threaded closures which may expand under heat and cause failure.
The best course of action is to use the DOM casing and use bolted closures.
Not going to get rid of the original casing... still looks cool sitting in the rocket shed lol.
That is great info! Fun to watch especially in slo-mo.
Thanks for posting that.
I can’t wait to see some build pictures. I’m hoping I will make it to LDRS.
Deployment " canisters" that hold the chutes are another option
Indeed . . . I am considering using that very system on my L3 Cert for the Main Chute.
Chuck's design may or may not be able to incorporate that, however . . .
I was in charge of the chute for our 1/3 scale V2 http://tripolioklahoma.org/html/v2/v2-main.html
I used a surplus 28 foot man rated, patched the holes and rigging, sewed a d-bag to fit the chute compartment, used a 6 foot pilot chute to pull it out of the bag.
It was a tedious but fun project.
We eventually donated it to the air/space museum in OKC.
Back in the day, Mark Clark's company Black Sky, made a pyro actuated cable cutter, that would be more along the lines of what you guys would be looking for
I've got a Jolly, they're cool an all, but they use rubber bands...
It's good to hear all options. That's what makes this forum so useful.
Never know what idea will finally be put into place.
So many good ideas...
This was my unsuccessful L3 Cert attempt, back in 2006. Motor is a HYPERTEK "Armageddon-M" Hybrid ( Old Style with the "Hammerhead" tank - FULL M motor ).
A leaking Injector Bell was determined to be the cause of the failure, resulting in the tank only getting about a 20% fill . . . The rocket climbed to about 150 - 200 ft, sputtered a couple of times and SHUT DOWN . . . ( Just high enough to arm the Adept ALT-S2 backup altimeter ). The Drogue was packed to "Boom" open, in case of trouble . . . It was a good thing it was, as the ADEPT fired the Drogue at 75-100 feet above the ground. You can hear the Drogue BP charge fire, immediately after the cameraman yells "No".
The rocket hit hard but was undamaged . . . 7.5" "un-glassed" Quick-rete tube ( Quasi-glass sleeve ) . . . The video says it all . . . Voices on the radio are TWP prefect Rick Boyette and myself . . . The cameraman is Mark Rothman, all of Tripoli West Palm / Florida Spacemoceling Association.
PS - The "Quasi-Glass" technique was invented by Rick Boyette ( PDF below ).
I’m not really a hybrid guy, but HOLY CRAP that’s a serious looking motor!!!!!
Back when I flew the large stuff hybrids were just hitting the scene and most launches involving lots of time “working out” many issues
Did you ever get that big motor to work?
Seriously cool hybrid motors there Dave!
Time for L3 my man!
I have been in the "design stage" for an L3 attempt, since just after Christmas . . . No more hybrids for me !
I sold all the HYPERTEK's after we won the BATFE lawsuit ( The only reason I ever got into hybrids ).
This L3 attempt will be on a "dependable" APCP motor . . . Looking at the CTI M1101 or the AT M1297 . . . "Low & Slow" !
Here's the trailer we'll be using for the launch tower and Rocket Transport System. It'll be 4 ft longer than this one. Levi Seaton is the Launch Pad Technician in charge of converting this bad boy into a fully functional Rocket Launch System:
If the wheel-wells on your trailer are like those in the photo, see if your welder can fabricate some "covers" to slip over them. That way you could leave the tires on, at launch, if desired.
Not a bad idea Dave. Still need to find out if tires are a problem out there at BALLS.
Yes Scott, not me.
The only cutters I have been involved in making were for the Space Shuttle booster chutes.
Yes, it's Scott. Things get fuzzy after a while. I was reading an old article, about the Thunderbolt, I think, and that's why I said Mark.
Separate names with a comma.