An "R"-powered rocket build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cad model of centering rings takes 10-20 min depending on what else you want like the all thread
model of an alt mount takes hours
here is one I modeled and printed
_Hk3zUV7RKPXlnrmWFXaKeM4PZadEpyGihh60ABt43Et5ecoUQun7eAb6YxIz6YGB9ycw6qSOLTX6SPwCM_NW56IeR4FeuuzQUQMoYelv3Gv-dW8FrOPDVLAUXoQ-NkPT0SZGdPEJ3KutXO3xLQPCj2d5m-jW6KdbIDhqGFUCfqnHJ6rGyKrRJwWjZLRXKt8JF0lhKEnGuAoiWF5Z0i6LlhTYstf5z6m5xxAHLASUUr-HDsh-qpf_pL6nTtgZz0TufDLDmniI3jNMbSWxRebf0UtDWGCuI4HhVKOcRQbmeE2ApjczL7fynoC7RTUrduzVYmNEEqFbc_beyrI04EQ5gTVNqMtRUs8N-kBMYpHsSrFW1TYsNG9AwchVEO-a0061f3bXxA_btA_0aqvLP8ecxYt7zP9Nna5OWHxhxZihrBPR_nACoyqh9kP0pX10xG3bEe2eeHOcjVFzAaCaesIszU_pWHlsU61IQq_NhsaBZX33rggN0pe0peXHduAjkOVJ1ohCdOHC-mS8gomqxnxcZCfX36IwQDwAwRN2xV0YkD4R7YL3nmsnS6Js-U2tvJGlLqtASGG9QmFzFT7GcW7peUo0_Wa6JUMReXTNsl6LRehxoCc7xJYckqlPH-xd4W1JAu0pNn2ytXR777-xv4f8nzE=w1104-h1962-no

Yep that's pretty cool jbr.

Trying to get 12" custom centering rings is not an easy task. Most rocketry stores say sure but they can't guarantee the size will be exactly what I ordered.

Gonna have to look hard at getting a CNC machine like yours. This won't be the only rocket I build and it will probably pay for at least part of itself in short order.

Chuck C.

Gonna have to look hard at getting a CNC machine like yours. This won't be the only rocket I build and it will probably pay for at least part of itself in short order.

Chuck C.

Chuck,

You can also recoup some of the expense by cutting components for others and selling them. It does a lot more than just rings !

Combine that with the Filament Winder and . . .

Coming Soon . . . "Swashbuckler Rocketry, Inc." !

Dave F.

SWASHBUCKLER - 1.jpg pirate-talk-clipart-1.gif

I've done winds that are pretty close to this project in size on the X-Winder, and it is not a pleasant experience. The machine does quite well with smaller winds, but they simply don't have the rigidity, torque, and accuracy to produce large parts very effectively.

David
Is it flex in the machine or the mandrel?

Is it flex in the machine or the mandrel?

The flex is primarily in the frame the machine, but there is also significant wobble wobble of the delivery head due to the rollers used for the movement of the X-Axis. With a stiffer frame, and linear bearings instead of rollers for the X-axis, I think it could turn out much better winds.

David

one guy in our club has tried 3" tubing on the x-winder, looks like crap, very uneven
could be due to his inexperience

on the cnc router, check with Andy Berger Houston group, they have a deal with DaVinci labs and I'm sure they would have one to use

https://davincimakerlabs.com/joomla1/index.php/unitedstates/

• CNC Router Table
  • CNC Mill
  • CNC Lathe
  • CNC Filament Winder
  • Vacuum Composite Layup Station
  • Vertical Band Saw
  • Belt/Disc Sander
  • Grinder
  • Hand Held Power Tools
  • 3D Printer
  • Laser Cutter

here is the 2 altimeter 98mm sled before being cleaned up
Cb53o4jfKq7tXPiJyfAM1JA9iuGxGVTtzMvQ3Rt6tYy7SrQHVnIES6IVS2PHylCZb0cmTJd-1PO7FtpiXjeTuL-jc0uWciqFVbgk_T-nm3MPfl1qlio5tM3JZR1aUoclJAEtzgk7j_8fK9W0Ynmohc6zwdjR9CMxkPfGv-arhLEVlhUsksoPS0I-HyTLsERgw4hz3pTdmvNxhzeAt8o-EJdpsgogOer8aMwmCTRUCbb861IUQs_fNArIWLsQkLdZDqhKGAvz0EnCon9ioralnmvNAuwthexHnZuXEUyuuj11CzNY0e7pzTdWQEmgtsQyx3QVayTBr4TLyXUOk0YwzBPlN5rGF7j2JH-7nYfwSBJd9-GZ86MRmLKujDvxnDUMeNVGoADivN_G4mgaCDs-Wo5CHErav4Tu-zb9q-S_uyolCkCiK7aAYjX5bR-MBsCeXXEsrKkwIiydPxf1qfS4VxIWyDFqstiAGXfSRl0ybsiAWSYeoxzRLrsc7Vl23Cv7rZqxe1p1oLXkqoetuU0VDH0B-3lMpZGScU9u0rdl4Ald0spJRIadL3n3xNs4td7XUZ_weeRCLRmpxvdOPKTSyJLpoaUesIQIjDbY2XnSUZKsdaAuLJUArGI8au5y32trvi1OM7Ttdo5Q4lYCBW_goxFo=w1104-h1962-no

Guys why in OpenRocket is the text size in the upper left too small on my computer?

I've tried every option to change it but it's a no-go.

Thanks.

Chuck C.
Screenshot (11).png

Guys why in OpenRocket is the text size in the upper left too small on my computer?

I've tried every option to change it but it's a no-go.

Thanks.

Chuck C.
View attachment 373243
Mine does the same thing when I change from a higher resolution screen to a lesser screen. Not sure if that is your issue though.

I just relaunch the program and it fixes it.

Mine does the same thing when I change from a higher resolution screen to a lesser screen. Not sure if that is your issue though.

I just relaunch the program and it fixes it.

That looked like a good idea. Tried it but no dice lol.

Chuck C.

If only it were that simple. Normally it just fixes itself when you restart it. Are you using multiple monitors of differing resolutions or just a single monitor?

Single.

OpenRocket isn't unreadable just difficult.

Chuck C.

Yep that's pretty cool jbr.

Trying to get 12" custom centering rings is not an easy task. Most rocketry stores say sure but they can't guarantee the size will be exactly what I ordered.

Chuck C.

Hey Chuck,

Have you checked with Nat Kinsey of Upscale CNC? He does outstanding work, just doesn't advertise it much. I've had him cut stuff for projects, up to "P" power, so he'll do larger items. Quality is superior.

A recent thread on Nat: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/nat-kinsey.134512/

Hey Chuck,

Have you checked with Nat Kinsey of Upscale CNC? He does outstanding work, just doesn't advertise it much. I've had him cut stuff for projects, up to "P" power, so he'll do larger items. Quality is superior.

A recent thread on Nat: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/nat-kinsey.134512/

Hey thanks for this. It's been a wake-up call in the lack of available parts for a 12" diameter rocket. Surprised me.

Chuck C.

Chuck,

This ain't no Estes Mosquito . . . LOL !

Dave F.

True dat lol!

Just picked up a Bosch router table. Going to make some CR's on my own. Plunge router was ok but it looks like the table is more solid, more accurate and easier to use for such things.

Had to get the fixed-base for the plunge router.

I'm ready to get to work dangit. Enough goofing around!

Chuck C.

Chuck, you are not in Houston? Get with the rocket guys and check Davinci lab
cnc is much more precise than manual router, I get +- 5 thou on mine, not as precise as my metal lathe
once you have a model built, you just load another wood blank and sic em, all identical

Chuck, you are not in Houston? Get with the rocket guys and check Davinci lab
cnc is much more precise than manual router, I get +- 5 thou on mine, not as precise as my metal lathe
once you have a model built, you just load another wood blank and sic em, all identical

Yes the web site you sent was awesome.

They are located in South Houston and I'm up north. But it is an interesting thing to look into.

I agree CNC is the way to go.

Maybe take some of their classes.

Chuck C.

True dat lol!

Just picked up a Bosch router table. Going to make some CR's on my own. Plunge router was ok but it looks like the table is more solid, more accurate and easier to use for such things.

Chuck C.

Chuck,

Take the "down time" to get familiar & proficient with your new tools !

Dave F.

pirate-talk-clipart-1.gif

True dat lol!

Chuck C.
What is the distance between the slot and the cutter on the table you bought? ...if you set up an adjustable 1/4" pin you can lay out the rings, drill a hole in the center...then cut just outside the final dimension line with a jig saw...the slip that ring over the pin slowly...then rotate to trim the last 1/16".... most times, the slot is too far away from the cutter but you can take a piece of plywood the width of your table and install a pin in it and slide it towards or away from the cutter to adjust the radius and clamp the board to the table on both ends....

What is the distance between the slot and the cutter on the table you bought? ...if you set up an adjustable 1/4" pin you can lay out the rings, drill a hole in the center...then cut just outside the final dimension line with a jig saw...the slip that ring over the pin slowly...then rotate to trim the last 1/16".... most times, the slot is too far away from the cutter but you can take a piece of plywood the width of your table and install a pin in it and slide it towards or away from the cutter to adjust the radius and clamp the board to the table on both ends....

These are good ideas.

When you say slot and cutter what is meant by slot? I’ve never owned a router table. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Am also going to look at that DaVinci place. Maybe take a CNC class and check out their machines.

Chuck C.

These are good ideas.

When you say slot and cutter what is meant by slot? I’ve never owned a router table. Looking forward to playing around with it.

Am also going to look at that DaVinci place. Maybe take a CNC class and check out their machines.

Chuck C.
CNC is far easier...the problem with cutting them on a router table is you still have to cut the center hole...I usually use a fly cutter set to 98 mm in the drill press but in your case that's a little harder

CNC is far easier...the problem with cutting them on a router table is you still have to cut the center hole...I usually use a fly cutter set to 98 mm in the drill press but in your case that's a little harder

I’ve been told you can drill holes into the metal router table and insert a metal pin first for the outer cut then one for the inner cut?

Would this not work?

Chuck C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back