An Open Rocket Problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marintse

Reaction score
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. I don't know where else to go.
There is a glitch in a part of Open Rocket: When you are building a design and choose the following nosecone - Rocketarium BT-70 7.5" - it will NOT save the design. Instead it will show ERROR MESSAGE - ERROR OPENING FILE. EXCEPTION LOADING STREAM: MALFORMED XML IN INPUT.

Hmm, works OK for me.

Are you saying it won't *save*, or it won't *re-open*? What version of OR are you running? If the problem is in re-opening, can you post the ORK file?

There was indeed an issue with saving when a component from the part database contains characters such as a double quote (see GitHub issue). My recommendation is to load the rocketarium part, then change one of the nose cone parameter and then change it back. This will cause the component preset to be marked as Custom instead of 'Rocketarium BT-70 7.5"'.

So: change e.g. the shape paramater to 0.9, then changing it back to 1 and save again. Opening the .ork file should now work.

This issue has been fixed after the 22.02 release and will be included in the next release.

PS: @neil_w the issue is with re-opening the file, not with saving it.

PPS: @marintse if you post your .ork file here we can manually fix it so you can continue where you left off.

The error message appears when I attempt to re-open the .ork file. It is attached.

Attachments

• ARC24.ork
    708 bytes · Views: 0
Hmm, works OK for me.

Are you saying it won't *save*, or it won't *re-open*? What version of OR are you running? If the problem is in re-opening, can you post the ORK file?
PS - I am using the very latest .ork -- 22.02

Is there a reason to save it as a binary file; seem like an "open" program would save in an ascii file, for easy modification. I used to do binary files, but when storagew became huge and cheap, I never looked back.

It's actually a zip file. If you change the extension from ORK to ZIP, you can unzip it and look inside. The file we're discussing is a plain text XML file inside the ZIP. The other thing that might be in there is a folder of texture (decal) images. That's why it needs to be an archive, to hold the extra binary data of images. We might also shove other stuff in there in the future.

But it's quite open for you to explore and edit.

Latest posts

Back