An Experimental Bond Paper Liner

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a kraft tube as a mandrel is probably not the best idea. At the worst, you will probably destroy both the kraft tube and the fiberglass tube trying to separate them. At best, your going to have a tube that won't correctly fit your original nosecone. The new tube ID will be greater than the kraft tube OD.

Jerome

Thanks Jerome, points well taken.

The following is sung to the tune of two turntables and a microphone:

Three new fins and a body tube...........

Yup, had to start this one all over.

(Thought I already posted this, but can't seem to find it. Which is not uncommon at all at the the Bone Daddy Rocket Works llc world headquarters.)

Fins are on and aligned nicely thanks to the incredible VCT fin alignment guide generated with VCT.
Besides making fin alignment guides it also makes shrouds and fin alignment wraps.
An absolutely fantastic little piece of old school software wizardry.
(End of shameless plug for for VCT. You really should download it if you haven't already.)

Everything readied to be primed except for the fact I have no primer in the paint pile.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Bones

Bones

alpha exp2 2.jpg

alpha exp2 1.jpg

A long long time ago
I can still remember
How I painted over the metal cast ground cover without sanding it smooth first.
I thought if I had the chance
I would remove the purple top coat and try to get it right............

What PITA.
It laughed at sand paper.
Giggled when I tried lacquer thinner.
So out came the weapon of choice at the Bone Daddy Rocket Works: the singe edge razor blade.
Got most of it off or to the point it could be sanded smooth.
Lot's of nicks and deep scratches as well as ruined fillets

I must have decided to throw it dozens of times all the time cussing like a sailor.
But I persevered and in the end it turned out OK.
I filled a bit here and there and applied a fresh coat of ground color and like what I saw.
So I pulled out an old green nosecone and actually ended up with a presentable rocket,
especially at 0 ft.

Pix below.

Bones

Pix of the process.

Was it worth it?

Absolutely, I finally got to use the green nosecone from a long ago abandoned project aptly named green with a tail cone.

Will I ever try the anodized look again?
No way.

Bones

BTW It weighs a ton.

Alpha redux 1.jpg

Alpha redux 2.jpg

Alpha redux 2a.jpg

Alpha redux 3.jpg

Alpha redux 3a.jpg

Alpha redux 4.jpg

Nice one Bones! Building an all-balsa Alpha to high standards is more of a test of modeling mettle than it appears.

Back