An "EL CHEAPO" Level 3 Rocket ???

Discussion in 'High Power Rocketry (HPR)' started by Ez2cDave, Feb 12, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 12, 2019 #1

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Hmm . . . An "EL CHEAPO" L3 rocket ?

Components : ( Links below )

3 - QUIKRETE (Common: 8-in; Actual: 7.5-in) QUIK-TUBE 48-in Concrete Tube Form $ 9.07 each from LOWES - $ 27.21 ( use one to make Coupler, E-Bay, & Switchband )
    1 - 3/4-in Birch Plywood, 2 feet X 4 feet ( Centering Rings and Fins ) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . LOWES - $ 26.74
    1 - DRAIN-SLEEVE 100-ft 6-in Pipe Sock ( Use Rick Boyette's "QUASI-GLASS" method ) . . . . . . . . . . LOWES - $ 31.98 ( Optional )
    1 - 32oz. - MINWAX "Polycrylic" ( Use with Rick Boyette's "QUASI-GLASS" method ) . . . . . . . . . . . . LOWES - $ 17.97 ( Optional )
    1 - 75mm or 98mm Motor Mount Tube of your choice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( Various Sources ) - $ 15.00 - 40.00 ( Paper, Phenolic, or Blue Tube )
    1 - LOC PNC-7.51 Nose Cone . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( Various Sources ) - $ 90.00 +/- ( Build your own - "ACE FUGUE SHROUD METHOD" - MUCH Cheaper )
    ? - Hardware & Recovery Devices . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ( Various Sources ) - $ TBD ( Based on Choices & What you may already have on hand )

https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-C...in-QUIK-TUBE-48-in-Concrete-Tube-Form/3005463
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-4-in-Birch-Plywood-Application-as-2-X-4/1000066199
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/DRAIN-SLEEVE-100-ft-6-in-Pipe-Sock/3199151
    https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=polycrylic+32

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Building_Supplies/Nose_Cones/High_Power_Nose_Cones/PNC-7-51

Dave F.

ACE FUGUE SHROUD METHOD - 1.jpg ps_fugueshroudcut.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Feb 12, 2019 #2

ThirstyBarbarian

ThirstyBarbarian

ThirstyBarbarian

You don’t technically need a motor tube. And I think you could forgo the quasi glass. And if you want to save money, making the nosecone is probably the best option. You could use a DMS motor and eliminate the cost of motor hardware. Or you could probably borrow hardware.

Steve Shannon likes this.
  3. Feb 12, 2019 #3

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

All would need to be approved by your TAP/L3CC.

Nytrunner and Steve Shannon like this.
  4. Feb 12, 2019 #4

cwbullet

cwbullet

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry Staff Member Administrator TRF Lifetime Supporter Global Mod

I like this build - subscribed.

The key is safe. If you are going real cheap. I would recommend a small test bed at 4-6 inches.

5. Feb 12, 2019 #5

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD

Not sure Quick-rete tube can withstand G-force stress w/out glassing.

6. Feb 12, 2019 #6

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

This was my unsuccessful L3 Cert attempt, back in 2006. Motor is a HYPERTEK "Armageddon-M" Hybrid ( Old Style with the "Hammerhead" tank - FULL M motor ).

A leaking Injector Bell was determined to be the cause of the failure, resulting in the tank only getting about a 20% fill . . . The rocket climbed to about 150 - 200 ft, sputtered a couple of times and SHUT DOWN . . . ( Just high enough to arm the Adept ALT-S2 backup altimeter ). The Drogue was packed to "Boom" open, in case of trouble . . . It was a good thing it was, as the ADEPT fired the Drogue at 75-100 feet above the ground.

The rocket hit hard but was undamaged . . . 7.5" "un-glassed" Quick-rete tube ( Quasi-glass sleeve ) . . . The video says it all . . . Voices on the radio are TWP prefect Rick Boyette and myself . . . The cameraman is Mark Rothman, all of Tripoli West Palm / Florida Spacemoceling Association.

Dave

HYPERTEK - 7.jpg

HYPERTEK - 4.jpg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  7. Feb 12, 2019 #7

ThirstyBarbarian

ThirstyBarbarian

ThirstyBarbarian

That’s a crazy flight! I would have LOVED for the camera to have captured the burnout and chute deployment! That looks like the kind of video I shoot — as soon as something interesting happens, I have to watch it with my own eyes, and I forget I’m even recording.

8. Feb 12, 2019 #8

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

Ez2cDave

I think he was "distracted" by FEAR . . . His voice says it all - LOL !

I posted some pics of the Hypertek's I had ( Some of them were prototypes from Hypertek )

Dave F.

ThirstyBarbarian likes this.
  9. Feb 13, 2019 #9

DRAGON64

DRAGON64

DRAGON64

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I too was unseccessful with a HyperTEK M back in 2005. The 76mm M960 to be exact.

Early on, when Oscar Valent owned Star Rocketry, he turned me on to the older M960 (w/ Hammerhead tank), and for the motor I was building a 7.5" Quick Rube rocket. That project wained, and I opted instead for a modified BlackHawk R&D Strong Arm kit. The modified Strong Arm kit actually flew on the full 76mm M960: Tom Binford was my TAP member, and he captured the video...