An E in Estes Dude?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aron Sanford

Reaction score
Has anyone made a mod to use an Estes "E" in the Dude rocket? I jusr got a new one & was woundering if any one had done it. My old one did not fly very high with the D engine.
Aron

DONT DO IT!!
I did it and it wasnt pretty. The Dude burns out on a "D" while it is still going straight up. The burn on an "E" is too long and the rocket will not stay straight for the burn duration and will be under power horizontal. I landed mine on a neighbors roof that way.

just keep it far from the blast plate so it stays inflated during the long burn

I've also just got a Dude and was thinking the same thing. There is a flight log on EMRR about someone flying it on a E and it was perfect , even without a chute.
Karl

I have launched it three times on E9-4s with great flights every time. The kids loved it, it's something that gets their attention.

The thing just will not fly right in anything above a gentle breeze. Too light and too much surface area! Fly it on a calm day, use a six foot rod and keep the aft end UP off the blast plate.

At the time I didn't have the 24mm AT case, but now I do... and a brand new Dude on the shelf... and some reloads...hhhmmmmmmm...

Patrick

when you fly it on E9's do you just leave the red cap off and just tape the motor in?

I've got a couple of E11-3 reloads, that I've thought about trying in the Dude. But, they aren't currently certified, even though they are producing them again.

somewhat OT: Has anyone tried filling a dude with helium? You could have a little string that would burn through on igniton, letting it go free. Against NAR rules? Anyone try with hydrogen (just joking....all I have to say to that is: Hindenburg)?

Im not positive, but I think that helium is flammable too...

Im not sure if Helium is flamable . It would work well in a Dude , being lighter than air . But I think it would be more liable for winds to throw it around , more than air.
Karl

Sorry for being a bit OT, but I find this very interesting. Helium is ...

A colorless, nonflammable and odorless gas.

The only reason it may be flammable is the fact that companies might mix oxygen in to keep people from asphyxiating themselves trying to make their voices higher.

quote from here.

Also....the self-ignition temp of Hydorgen is 1022 degrees F (source ). Even hot ejection gasses would not get to this temp.....you may be able to use it safely. Just as a weird thought, would it be legal to get a NAR altitude record using this? If you made some electronics vent the H after a predetermined altitude and you recovered it, would it be legal?

You would also have to add quite a bit of nose weight for the CG to be in the proper palce as well.

lol - anbody thought of filling the Dude with NO2 & creating a gurt huge hybrid? :D

Originally posted by gerbs4me
when you fly it on E9's do you just leave the red cap off and just tape the motor in?

Yes, works like a charm. Of course, I am semi-charmed, so YMMV :cool:

Hydrogen is a VERY BAD IDEA! Has no one else done the water Hydrolysis
experiment in grade school? H2 (remember it is diatomic) will easily ignite with a match. A burning ejection charge ember will set it off. Helium (lightest Noble gas) is safe, but I don't think the small lift from the He will benifit the flight, much. Just my thoughts after a great day about town.

Patrick

Originally posted by cydermaster
lol - anbody thought of filling the Dude with NO2 & creating a gurt huge hybrid? :D

If only that thin skin could handle the pressure... Could you imagine the power from a tank that size and suitable (inert) reload? yummy

I have yet to delve into hybrids, but I see the time is coming; even the smaller ones look like fun!

Patrick

Originally posted by astrowolf67
I've got a couple of E11-3 reloads, that I've thought about trying in the Dude. But, they aren't currently certified, even though they are producing them again.

Were they decertified before the fire?

Patrick

yup. Finally decided on doing some calculations to support (or disprove) my helium expierment. Turns out, the Helium would provide a grand total of..........

drumroll, please.....

...... 1.6 ounces of bouyant force. (assuming a 36.1L dude, molecular mass of air to be 29g/m, STP, etc.) That's not even including the weight of the Helium itself.

I agree on not using Hydrogen....it would also not get anywhere near enough bouyant force to lift the dude, as well as being dangerous (I got my data from a somewhat *biased* source :))

To get back on-topic, I would suggest not launching the dude under larger power than a D if there is any wind. A small wind gust could bend the *fragile* airframe, and everything would go to heck in a handbasket.

Originally posted by solrules
yup. Finally decided on doing some calculations to support (or disprove) my helium expierment. Turns out, the Helium would provide a grand total of..........

drumroll, please.....

...... 1.6 ounces of bouyant force. (assuming a 36.1L dude, molecular mass of air to be 29g/m, STP, etc.) That's not even including the weight of the Helium itself.

I agree on not using Hydrogen....it would also not get anywhere near enough bouyant force to lift the dude, as well as being dangerous (I got my data from a somewhat *biased* source :))

To get back on-topic, I would suggest not launching the dude under larger power than a D if there is any wind. A small wind gust could bend the *fragile* airframe, and everything would go to heck in a handbasket.

Agreed, the Dude is strictly a calm day flyer. Thanks for the calcs. I thought about about doing it, but have had just toooo good of a day :p

Patrick - love to play during the day

Wow! Thanks for all the comments! I have to think what I will do but it was great having all the feedback!
By the way, pure Helium is NOT flammable! Hrdrogrn is but Helium is not, it is heaver than hydrogen. Oxygen itself wont burn, you needs to add a fule(like hydrogen!). The mixing of the two wont burn(ox/heli). But put oxygen with something that can burn & man it fules the fire!!
It makes combustion easy-very easy!!

Originally posted by iceage
Were they decertified before the fire?

Patrick

No. All rocket motors have to be re-certified every three years to remain certified. This simply means they send S&T some sample motors, we fire em, and if they have not changed, they pass.

The E11's and other loads three year period has passed about a year ago... and since Aerotech did not make them (yet), they were unable to send us some, so they lost their certification. S&T should be certifying them soon, if they have not done so already. I don't know... I only participate in the certification of the bigger motors... where they need more than a couple people to help.

The Dude is the goofiest rocket I own (and I own several goofy ones). I think the Dude "flies" better on an E9-4 than a D12.

Tips:
1) Tape in the E9-4 in (don't use the red end cap).
2) You must raise the Dude 6+ inches off the blast plate or the balloon will melt.
3) Don't fly on a windy day.

-- Jim

Back