An apology and a sad announcement….

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I am sorry to say that after some long and hard thought, I have decided to close thrustaero.com until further notice.

As most of you know, I have had my hands full since my wife was diagnosed with cancer back in December. What you might not know is that for the past 4 years I was the sole owner and operator of a lawn service company that gave me the flexibility of continuing thrustaero.com by leaving time during the weekends and time in the winter. But, in the fall of 2006, I took a job as a sales manager with a Chevrolet dealership to make up for some of the lost income during the winter. As luck would have it, it was a smart move because my wife has pretty much been out of work since the end of December and without the extra income it would be a little to tight financially.
But our frequent trips (200 mile round trip) to Boston, and a 60 hour work week at the dealership, does not leave much time for anything else. As a result, orders have been backing up. I’m not whining…just presenting the facts.
I’ve had great support from the rocketry community. It is probably the most understanding community of a non-religious nature that I’ve ever come across. So when my orders start backing up because I can get to them, but they’ve already given me money fro their purchases, it pains me to just watch things grind so slowly. As weeks progressed, the backorder time increased. So, what do I do? Do I close it down altogether? Sell it?
As of now, this is what I have decided to do. Effective immediately, I will close the web store re-moving the shopping carts page by page until they are all gone. The site will remain as a way of keeping customers aware of what’s going on both now and in the future. If orders are placed before I can get them all removed, I will refund any money within 24hrs with a note that I am closing. Any orders that have been placed before today, I will fill if I already have parts on hand, if not those too will get a refund. There will be a link to EBay for some of the items that I want to move or overstock.
Will I ever open again? Yes, just try and keep me away! If money wasn’t an issue, I’d rent a space, hire two or three guys and let her rip. But as someone once said, “If you want to make a million dollars in the model rocketry business, be prepared to spend 2 million getting there.”

To those of you that have waited patiently for your orders lately, I apologize for any inconvenience this might have caused. And for all of you, thank you for your support and encouragement. It was you, the TRF community that gave me the support to grow where Thrustline is today.

More to come…

I hope your wife is doing well and responding to treatment.

wick

John

I hope you and your wife do well, if theres anyhitng I can do to help you out please contact me.

all the best

I can't think of anything more important than the health of your wife. Close up for as long as you have to. We'll still be here.

Im sorry to hear about all this, but i will still keep your wife in my prayers. Good luck and God bless :)

John,

I've sent you a PM.

In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers continue to be with your family and you during these difficult times.

Best of luck John.:)

Plus, a BIG thank you for letting me beta test some of your kits, you were a real pleasure to deal with and I hope I can get the oppertunity to work with you again in the future.:)

Best of everything to you and you family! you are in our prayers.

Your products are awsome and I would hate to see them stoped being produced.
If there is anything we can do to keep it Up and running, just ask!

John,

You have all my support and strength. I wish your wife speedy recovery and you the strength to persevere. Good luck. God bless.

Fishhead is right John. Close up for as long as you need to. We will all still be here when you and Yvette come back to us.

There is nothing as important as your life partner.

Notes like this are always terribly frustrating and often so hard to wrap your head around. It is frustrating to see a fine kit manufacturer have to close up shop (even if temporary) while at the same time it shows the value and strength of the mature decision maker.

Godspeed and best of luck as you travel this part of the road.

Just don't leave *rocketry*... ...we'd have to come out there and pisto-whip ya :p

jim

Very sad news indeed. Best wishes to you both.

TA were the first kits I built, and still some of my favourites. Your service was always good for me. I hope we see you back in the game soon.

And it wouldn't be a TRF thread without some pics.

TA Hank

TA V2

And my previously unshown TA Alien Troop Mover

Best of luck to you and your family John. I have enjoyed building and flying your kits and hope to again in the future.

--- Ron

Let's put it this way, hopefully this isn't a good bye but more like a we'll see you later.:)

Again, good luck John and I too wish Yvette a speedy recovery.:)

Good Luck and God Bless. Your decision is sound. It was a pleasure doing business with you and i hope to again in the future.
Cheers
fred

I am sorry to hear this..And just when I was going to order some things from you too :) But, you have the priorities straight! And as others have said we will be here when you come back..I hope Yvette gets that nasty 'C' whipped! Hopes and prayers to you and your family..

Oh,as a side not-and not knowing what type/genre music you listen to- there is a song that I find pretty inspirational when I get down..It's called 'Anyway' by Martina McBride.

We're here for you, let us(the rocketry community) know and we will 'make it so'..

John -

God bless you and your family! Mags and I wish you the best and many thanks for the smiles you've brought to many a rocketeer's face. You will be missed in the hobby, so don't stay away too long.

Hope all works out and you remain in our prayers.

Tom and Maggie

John,

Although I am sad to hear this, I understand completely.
You and your wife are in our prayers.

Phred

Originally posted by jflis
Notes like this are always terribly frustrating and often so hard to wrap your head around. It is frustrating to see a fine kit manufacturer have to close up shop (even if temporary) while at the same time it shows the value and strength of the mature decision maker.

I think Jim has found the best way of saying it. I pray Yvette will recover totally. Stay strong in this tuff time.

Family first!! These rockets are just paper and balsawood. Look after your family and all of this will still be waiting here for as long as it takes. Our prayers are with you.

John,
So sorry to hear about your wife's condition. Hope she is doing well and kicks it. Yes...family does come first and foremost.....all other things just have to sit on the back burner.

John-

Let me add my best wishes to all the others posted here. Your kits are top-notch and a whole lot of fun to build. There will always be a market for that especially when it comes with conscientious customer service.

I look forward to the day sometime in the future when I get to use your services again... But don't rush back. This is supposed to be fun! If it's stressing you out, you have to prioritize the more important things first!

John,

Best of luck to you and Yvette. No need to appologize, taking care of family comes first.

best of luck John. Family comes first. My neighboor had cancer. When his boss found out about it, he sent him and his family (3 children 2, 5, 8) on a cruise to the bahamas, Disney World, and Hawaii. It was hard loosing him (2005) but his family got to spend his last moments with him in hapiness.

I will keep your wife, you, AND the company (!!) in my prayers :)

Ben

John,
You and your wife are lifted up in prayers. May God bless you in these trying times. You have been an inspiration to all of us BARs and REBARs. Hope to see good news about your wife as well as your business sometime in the future.

Back