An Agglomeration of Andromedas (LPR)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
COMMON INFO
Well, off to another 3 way build.... I've done a trio of Tridents and the Mars Snooper Mayhem.
But a slight issue, one is LPR, another is MPR, and the last is HPR.
Where to put the build thread? Average to MPR?? But then LPR or HPR folks may miss it......
I decided on creating 3 threads, one in each sub-forum. There will probably be some cross-referencing between the threads.

So what am I building? The thread title tells some of the story. I have:
Semroc USS Andromeda (LPR) - Clone of the Estes model, 18mm motor
Q Model USS Andromeda (MPR) - 1.65X upscale, 24mm motor
Wildman USS Andromeda (HPR) - 3X upscale, 54mm motor

I've had the Q model kit sitting around for a while. I had planned to clone the Estes size version, and bought some parts for it, but never started it. Then Semroc came out with their clone. I was thinking of starting the two, when Wildman announced he was coming out with a 3X version. So.... off we go
END COMMON INFO

The usual beginning - here are the parts in the kit

IMG_5823.jpg

And we start off filling the spirals in the tubes with Elmer's F&F and papering the fins. I neglected to get a shot of the tubes. Sorry

IMG_5825.jpg

Here are the tubes after sanding with the fins after trimming

IMG_5836.jpg

Whoops - looks like I never clicked the post button

The two long tubes get connected with a coupler. The directions call to glue the coupler to the lower tube first. There is a hole in the coupler that you pass a Kevlar cord through and tie the loop. You then glue the coupler to the upper tube. They suggest you roll the tubes on a flat surface to ensure they are in line. My only change was I tied the Kevlar to the coupler first and glued that to the upper tube, and then glued it to the lower tube and rolled it. Why? With the Kevlar against the coupler, it is a tighter fit. So gluing it in first would tend to keep it in place while gluing the lower tube. Sorry - no pix of gluing a coupler.

To the top of the tubes, two centering rings are glued, then the larger tube is glued to those. A transition is rolled and glued in place.
IMG_5864.jpgIMG_5865.jpg

The kit includes some jigs. I like to trim the corners to ensure the jig doesn't accidentally get glued to the rocket.

IMG_5867.jpg

Using the jigs to align the rings to the fins

IMG_5868.jpg

Forgot to mention - when the rings were in position, I tacked them using CA.

Then the sail fins were actually glued to the body. I used double glue joints. For those not familiar, apply a thin layer of glue onto the fin and place it in position, and then immediately remove. Smooth out the glue bead on the tube and on the fin. Let the glue dry for a bit, a minimum of a minute, but I've let it sit for over an hour. Then apply a second thin layer of glue and re-apply. Position the part quickly as it will grab fast and make a strong joint.
IMG_5871.jpg

After this set a bit, I cleaned up the joint of the two body tubes with F&F. It will be easier to do this before the fairing are installed. My cleaned up joint.

IMG_5893.jpg

COMMON with LPR
Differences in build sequence

LPR version - the pod fins are glued to the body first, then the pods are glues to the fins.
The fairings are glued to the body first, then the dowels are glued to the fairings and sail fins

MPR version - the pods are glued to the fins, then the fins with pods are glued to the body.
The dowels are glued to the fairings first, then glued to the body and sail fins

The differences are partially due to the differences in the jigs. Both had pros and cons....

END COMMON

I deviated from the instructions here. They call to install the pod fins first, then the fairings. But the pod fins are longer than the jig height. So using the big jig on the rear and the smaller jig on top, the fairings were installed.

IMG_5894.jpg

I installed the top pod fin while it was sitting there

IMG_5902.jpg

To do the other side, I used my fin jig, but had to manually align the fin as it would not fit the jig properly

IMG_5915.jpg

Installed the antenna to the sail fin. Used the jig to verify it was square.
ALso worked trying to filet the pod fin between the rings.
IMG_5916.jpg IMG_5918.jpg

Time to break things!

You break the main jig into pieces and use it to support attaching the pod to the fin. The directions call to use just one, but I used 2 to ensure the pod was square to the fin. Both the fin and pod were marked at the midpoint for placement.

IMG_5919.jpg

I installed the dowels, but neglected to take a picture - sorry....

The jig also allows you to install the trim on the pod. I found it was too loose and had issues with the first one. I did better with the second one.

IMG_5927.jpg IMG_5928.jpg

Sorry for delays - some life events, and concentrated on the MPR and HPR builds.

With all the details on, time to prime!

IMG_6123.jpg

One interesting difference with the Q model. On the Semroc version, there are some disks mounted on the small tube and in line with fairings. The Q model version has you place the disks on the large tube and between the fairings. One of the build options has you mount a dowel for separation and the disk would cover it. However, two other build options do not require the dowel, but the instructions still have you place the disk where the dowel would have been. I penciled in where the disk would go.

IMG_6122.jpg

Finally - 3 coats of Rustoleum Black Night Metallic. Shot was taken after the first full coat.
I initially hale the rock upside down to get all the various bottom edges. After the third coat I flipped it and started the main and top sides
IMG_6165.jpg

Common Info

Thought I would show the different nose cone profiles

The Semroc is scale. It has multiple angles.
Q model is elliptical
Wildman is pointed

IMG_6197.jpg

Whoops - spoke too soon. Forgot internal pod. Installed some vinyl.

Before and after - still need to clean up the trimming

IMG_6232.JPG IMG_6233.JPG

That looks better! The black shows off alot of details huh? I would have done more finish work if I knew how much shows thru!

All of yours are looking great! 👍

DISASTER!

The silver wraps would not stay attached. The Black Night Metallic has a texture and the wraps kept lifting.

I used a bit of thin CA on the bottom one - worked great.
Went to do the top and little too much CA came out and destroyed the wrap.

IMG_6259.jpg

Sob..... :facepalm: :eek:😭

I ordered replacement wraps from eRocket (along with another rocket - the NewWay Steamliner)

Meanwhile, the old not won't come off due to the CA!....

I decided to cut a piece of the new wrap and install on top of the old wrap. It looks a LOT better!
Note - the new wrap had a different texture for the black but I doubt anyone will really notice from a distance. You can see the new wrap on the bottom left of the picture. Note - I am holding the rocket upside down, so the bottom one in the pix is really the upper one....

IMG_6260.jpg

Good save, the new wrap looks good.

I've done both vinyl and decals on top of the Rusto metallics and not had a problem... surprised that happened to you.

the NewWay Steamliner
That's a super-interesting kit, build thread please! Also want to see that thing fly. :)

Back