An Aerotech (I think) question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I have vague memories of about a year ago seeing some buzz on some motors that vaguely resembly beer cans in that they were very wide in proportion to their length. I think they were made by Aerotech.

Was I hallucinating or were there really such beasts?

If so, what comments are availible about them?

I dug up this article from Aerotechs website.

7/4/07
LDRS 2007 News: 54mm "Soda Can" 'I' Motors To Be Available at LDRS-26
The Tripoli Motor Testing Committee (TMT) has certified a series of new AeroTech 54mm single-grain reload kits that are planned for sale at the LDRS-26 Tripoli Rocketry Association annual meet in Jean NV on July 12-17.

AeroTech has designed a new 54/426 single-grain casing for the 54mm RMS™ Reloadable Motor System™ series. Dubbed the "Soda Can" 'I' by those who have held it, this motor will also be available through AeroTech's hardware partner Rouse-Tech™ Monster Motors™. The initial reload kit introduction for the 54/426 case includes a White Lightning™ I115W, a Blue Thunder™ I229T, a Redline™ I215R and a Warp-9™ I599N. The total impulses of all these reloads are in the low 400 N-sec. range. RMS-54/426 motors are perfect when flying under limited altitude waiver conditions and on relatively small launch sites.

The four reloads will be shown at LDRS-26 in Jean, NV and will be sold through an exclusive arrangement with Just Rockets of Las Vegas. After LDRS, the motors will be available through any authorized AeroTech dealer. They may be sold to any NAR or Tripoli Level 1 certified purchaser in possession of an ATFE Low Explosive User Permit (LEUP).

Applicable TRA certification documents, instructions and assembly drawings will soon be available for download in PDF format from the AeroTech Resource Library.

Thanks for the info. THose are the ones.

Does anyone have any experience with these?

Yes those were the ones used in the Great Gizmo Drag races last year. The case actually reads "427" on some of them, rather than 426.

My gizmo weighed about 7lbs, 5 1/2 diam. and went to around 1800 -2200ft on the "soda can" motors.

I've flown the white ....red and blue.....what would you like to know?

Yes those were the ones used in the Great Gizmo Drag races last year. The case actually reads "427" on some of them, rather than 426.

My gizmo weighed about 7lbs, 5 1/2 diam. and went to around 1800 -2200ft on the "soda can" motors.

I've flown the white ....red and blue.....what would you like to know?

I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I just had a vague memory of an odd shape and was curious.

the 54/427 is called a soda-can (the motors are great but relatively pricey).

the 98/2560 is called a coffee-can.

and the 38/120 has got to be a shot-glass!

I like the 54/426, but the motors do feel pricey for the impulse. About $50 last time I bought one. Would make a great booster stage though.

the 54/427 is called a soda-can (the motors are great but relatively pricey).

the 98/2560 is called a coffee-can.

and the 38/120 has got to be a shot-glass!

Sounds good to me!

BTW we're working the price issue on the loads...

The 38/120 really is my favourite motor =)
The G339 simply rocks and the other loads are fun, too!

Gary, any news about the Blue Tunder and Blackjack loads for it?

Felix

The 38/120 really is my favourite motor =)
The G339 simply rocks and the other loads are fun, too!

Gary, any news about the Blue Tunder and Blackjack loads for it?

Felix

The BT was actually tested over two years ago, so we need to get them in the queue for certification.

Back