AMW White Wolf 4" Build and Giveaway!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I posted this video to document my "one-day" build of an AMW White Wolf 4" using only 5-minute epoxy to demonstrate how easily one could get into the hobby without breaking the bank.

The great news is that Gloria gave me two of these kits. One to build and one to give to someone who comments on my channel!

I'll give you a little spoiler, but I'd appreciate you watching the video anyway. All you have to do to enter is comment what club you fly with and what motor you would put in the White Wolf if you won it. Once the channel hits 10,000 subscribers I'm randomly picking one comment from the video comment section and they'll receive the White Wolf kit with no strings attached!

It's a great kit and I can't wait to hear it whistle!

Here's the video:

Braden

For those who just want some photos, here ya go!

Braden

Attachments

• 20211127_193101.jpg
    20211127_193101.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20211127_193101.jpg
    20211127_193101.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211127_221218.jpg
    20211127_221218.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211128_001527.jpg
    20211128_001527.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20211128_141910.jpg
    20211128_141910.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 20211128_220227.jpg
    20211128_220227.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 34
A rocket that whistles. I love it. I've built 4 rockets that I thought would whistle. Only partial success on the last one. I would probably fly it on an I280 or an I175 depending on the weight. I fly with Tripoly Las Vegas.

A rocket that whistles. I love it. I've built 4 rockets that I thought would whistle. Only partial success on the last one. I would probably fly it on an I280 or an I175 depending on the weight. I fly with Tripoly Las Vegas.
I love me a whistling rocket! Here is my LOC mystic buzz.

Someday I may pull the trigger on getting one of these - once I get the pile under control lol...I just like the look of it because it reminds me of a simplified Estes Guardian.

Edit: (almost forgot to make my entry official) I fly with Michiana Rocketry mostly and I would put the first flight up on a I211 and then probably something bigger after seeing how that first flight goes.

Last edited:
Someday I may pull the trigger on getting one of these - once I get the pile under control lol...I just like the look of it because it reminds me of a simplified Estes Guardian.
I feel that one in a big way! I'm prepping up for Buildcember right now!

Braden

I feel that one in a big way! I'm prepping up for Buildcember right now!

Braden

Did you ever finish that big fiberglass Red Der Max from like 3 years ago?! Shameless request for that in buildcember. I’ve flown the original size with the kiddo and that maybe his favorite. I have a feeling a few upsizes of that are in my/his future.

Did you ever finish that big fiberglass Red Der Max from like 3 years ago?! Shameless request for that in buildcember. I’ve flown the original size with the kiddo and that maybe his favorite. I have a feeling a few upsizes of that are in my/his future.

Unfortunately it is not finished. However, I just ordered a motor for it during Wildman's sale. So, it's on the Buildcember list for sure!

Love the picture of the rocket on the desk with the swivel chair - looks like a business meeting in the offices of UPscaler Industries.😊

It's got a great work/play aesthetic, haha. I do like this setting for videos so I'll probably keep shooting there for projects at my house!

Braden

I fly in Illinois with Prairie States Rocketry and in Michigan with Michiana Rocketry. I need to get to QRCS next summer. I've always wanted to have a whistler. I would kit bash it to either a standard DD or build a custom nose cone bulkhead to house a Badass Rocketry deployment/tracker AV bay running an Eggtimer Quantum and Featherweight GPS. I would fly first flight on an AT I-280DM. Love those sparkies....

one question I've always had:

The White Wolf isn't the only rocket with split fins.. The Thor, The Dark star, The Frenzy are just a few other examples. But the White Wolf is known to whistle more than others..

SO, what is the "one" variable* that makes the whistle? Is it the gap between the fins? is it the leading edge of the lower fin isn't beveled / rounded? The trailing edge of the upper fin? If both leading & training edges are beveled / rounded, does that increase / decrease the whistle?

I realize the sharp edge of the leading edge is likely the main factor, as it is 'slicing into' the [turbulent] air coming off the forward fin that causes the whistle.. (Thinking of a flute / how a flutists plays the flute)

* I say "one", but I do realize it is a combination of factors. But does one factor / variable stand out more than others?

one question I've always had:

The White Wolf isn't the only rocket with split fins.. The Thor, The Dark star, The Frenzy are just a few other examples. But the White Wolf is known to whistle more than others..

SO, what is the "one" variable* that makes the whistle? Is it the gap between the fins? is it the leading edge of the lower fin isn't beveled / rounded? The trailing edge of the upper fin? If both leading & training edges are beveled / rounded, does that increase / decrease the whistle?

I realize the sharp edge of the leading edge is likely the main factor, as it is 'slicing into' the [turbulent] air coming off the forward fin that causes the whistle.. (Thinking of a flute / how a flutists plays the flute)

* I say "one", but I do realize it is a combination of factors. But does one factor / variable stand out more than others?
I'd never understood it to whistle more than any others. The most whistly kit I think I've witnessed would be the LOC Mystic Buzz if I'm honest. I just assume it'll have a good whistle because it's got split fins!

Braden

whistle is due to relationship between the Gap between fins and thickness of fin and total size.
It's a"tuned"gap, and must exact distance. Why not all split fins whistle.

Don Ball [dsigned White Wolf] uses a mathematical formula to set distance between fins. [the gap]
Never bevel the bottom of top fin and top of bottom fin. [egdes that face each other] they must remain flat to function .

Ever blow across the edge of top of bottle and get it to whistle or buzz . [or flute] it's same thing....disturbed airflow over a gap.
How I remember him explaining it kinda...sorta....maybe. lol
Lots of alcohol involved at the time, sitting around camp.

Generally speaking.......faster burning motors recommended to hear whistle. Faster rocket gets up to speed, closer to ground motor burns out....louder and easier to hear whistle.

Last edited:
Robert and Gloria are great people. I really miss spending time with them back when I lived in NH.

I watched the video and commented with my official entry, which I will post here too :)

I currently fly with SPAAR but we don't have any HPR locations. However, I been thinking about going to a Red Glare or maybe a launch near Buffallo next year. I still have some AMW 38mm White Wolf loads so if I "win" this kit, I will fly it with an AMW I195 White Wolf motor :D

whistle is due to relationship between the Gap between fins and thickness of fin and total size.
It's a"tuned"gap, and must exact distance. Why not all split fins whistle.

Don Ball [dsigned White Wolf] uses a mathematical formula to set distance between fins. [the gap]
Never bevel the bottom of top fin and top of bottom fin. [egdes that face each other] they must remain flat to function .

Ever blow across the edge of top of bottle and get it to whistle or buzz . [or flute] it's same thing....disturbed airflow over a gap.
How I remember him explaining it kinda...sorta....maybe. lol
Lots of alcohol involved at the time, sitting around camp.

Generally speaking.......faster burning motors recommended to hear whistle. Faster rocket gets up to speed, closer to ground motor burns out....louder and easier to hear whistle.
Hey Jim!
I didn't know this was a Ball designed kit. That's awesome!

Braden

Back